Sign in to follow this  
Guest Hammerin Hammon

Ocatillo Wells 12-29-30-07We

Guest Hammerin Hammon

I thougt my wife needed to ride her bike in the desert, so we headed to Ocatillo Wells for the weekend. She had her first good crash. Got hurt but, not bad. ;)

The good thing was her bike finally got some scratches on it, so I could ride the Shizy out of it. I love that little bike(CRF 150 ) its like a BMX bike with a motor. I rode it more than she did. :D

The Cops were getting more than their limit, but they couldnt catch me on there DRZ 400,S.

post-465-1199150541_thumb.jpg

post-465-1199150572_thumb.jpg

post-465-1199150596_thumb.jpg

post-465-1199150617_thumb.jpg

post-465-1199150648_thumb.jpg

post-465-1199150671_thumb.jpg

post-465-1199150695_thumb.jpg

post-465-1199150719_thumb.jpg

post-465-1199150742_thumb.jpg

Glad you had fun! What are the cops giving tickets for??? :D

I'd bet it's for either not having spark arrestors or going more than 15 miles per hour within 50 feet of campsights. ;)

We also had a great time out there. Went out Thursday, camped off Cahuilla Trail, came home Sunday afternoon. Put over 350 miles on the bikes and covered terrain from the Salton Sea to Blow Sand Hill, from Truckhaven, to south of I-8 (yes, I-8 - I made a run to the Ocotillo Texaco for gas before we headed over to Superstition and back to OW.

The place was CRAZY with people!!! And I agree with Hammer, cops all over the place. I saw sheriffs, CHP, a CHP helicopter, Park Ranger fixed wing plane, and an up-close-personal visit with an AB State Park officer. (I swear, I thought we were in OW not AB officer!!!). Apparently, they saw us leave the OHV area from the helicopter and when we stopped to take a break and some pictures, they directed the Jeep to our location. Ran my plate and Mickey's green sticker and let us go with a warning.

Too bad we couldn't hook up with anybody else out there.

So what were all the citations for?

BTW, I don't see a reflector on the back of the Sheriff's DRZ... and I'd like to see the approval on that after-market headlight assembly.

:D

The CHP, Sheriff's, BLM, and Park Rangers were hot and heavy on Split Mountain Road this weekend. They were issuing tickets for riding on the highway right-of-way with a non street licensed vehicle. When we went down Split Mountain Road Sunday the had 12 lined up just past the Iron Gate giving out tickets. They were also pulling riders over on 78 for the same thing.

As we were going up Fish Creek we ran in Park Rangers making sure you were properly licensed.

The CHP, Sheriff's, BLM, and Park Rangers were hot and heavy on Split Mountain Road this weekend. They were issuing tickets for riding on the highway right-of-way with a non street licensed vehicle. When we went down Split Mountain Road Sunday the had 12 lined up just past the Iron Gate giving out tickets. They were also pulling riders over on 78 for the same thing.

As we were going up Fish Creek we ran in Park Rangers making sure you were properly licensed.

A BLM Ranger stopped by my camp at Superstition to verify I had current registration/stickers on all my bikes.......and here I thought he was pulling up to tell me we couldn't burn the dozen or so pallets and Christmas tree we had stacked and ready for midnight :P .....wonder how he would've felt about our flaming 2008 in the sand at 12am :lol: .....probably would've issued us a ticket for dropping a digit from the number sequence (and rightly so!)......sorta looks like 208 rather than 2008 doesn't it? :lol::lol: ......whoops, I blame my friend Dave, he was responsible for the "20" and I was respsonsible for the "08" (and opening the Champagne)......seems he dropped a number in his rush to set the dunes a blaze.....that's our Christmas tree on top of the dune to the left....

SuperstitionNewYears052.jpg

You are lucky a ranger didn't write you up for that. They could write you for arson if they felt like it. That's what happened to an employee who used to work at our store a couple of years ago. He and his friends went out to Ocotillo Wells to camp and have some fun with four wheeling. One night, he made the mistake of running a line of gasoline in the sand leading to the campfire about twenty or thirty feet long and lit it just for fun. I guess it looked pretty cool but ended up costing him about 5000 dollars in fines, because a ranger saw him do it. It started out as felony arson charge, but was dropped back to some lesser misdemeaner charge, luckily for him. The ranger told him he was "burning sensitive organisms" in the sand. Of course, I have a bad habit of stomping around on those and then riding over them, and it must be okay to burn a few sensitive organisms that are under the spot where your fire ring is. :lol: Who hasn't done something silly out in the desert involving a campfire or their motorcycle or something like that and had a good laugh? Certainly not me, so I conclude that stunts with gasoline aren't too smart, fun doesn't always equal smart, and boys will be boys. Just don't be too much of one out in the OHV parks unless you want to become a felon and go broke. It is possible to do if a ranger catches you. :lol:

ya, being a quadtard is illegal too I thought . . . :D Just kidding, honestly I'm a wanna be anything-with-a-motor-tard, so it's all good. So I can join the force and get a DRZ with cool lights to ride the desert ? I knew i chose the wrong career! PROTECT AND SERVE my friends, Ride on forever, and know that pyro is totally jealous ! :D