Sign in to follow this  
HotRod82

So this happened......

post-13864-0-72652800-1429575399.jpg

My season of strange failures continued on Sunday, the new (50ish miles) Kenda 270 decided to remove itself from the rim. The strange part of the equation is the tube was still fully inflated. I'm thinking I had a simple tire failure but coincidentally this was the first time trying the Tubesaddle system. I don't think the Tubesaddle could possibly force the tire off the rim even if it was not installed properly. I like the 270's overall performance and longevity but now I am having doubts about it's quality, after all it is a cheap tire...maybe you get what you pay for? I'm just glad it didn't toss me off the bike when it failed, we were running over 70 in San Felipe wash when it let go. We were able to find a used Maxxis at one of the vendors near Blu-Inn and get back on the road so at least it didn't ruin our ride.

Interesting. What PSI were you running?

14 PSI as usual.

Yes, rim lock in place. The rim lock held and actually tore the bead and sidewall, really strange deal. Again, I think the tire or bead streched and failed.

Wow that's an equipment confidence killer.

I know it's a ridiculous stupid question but the sidewall does look kinda small,,, any chance that it coulda been a 19"??

I really don't see how that's possible,,,,

Unless you got a lemon, the 270 has a pretty good reputation. DR650's, KLR's - heavy bikes - ride them to death. Some combo in there is a problem would be my guess.

I know it's a ridiculous stupid question but the sidewall does look kinda small,,, any chance that it coulda been a 19"??

I really don't see how that's possible,,,,

That was the first thing that I thought of when I first saw what happened, but it is an 18".

Unless you got a lemon, the 270 has a pretty good reputation. DR650's, KLR's - heavy bikes - ride them to death. Some combo in there is a problem would be my guess.

I think it was just a lemon, I don't see how the tubesaddle could force the bead over the rim, even if it was not installed correctly or went sideways somehow. This is my third 270 and the previous 2 were excellent tires. I guess what has me a bit spooked is I had this happen with a Kenda and last season my buddy who rides an Aprilla had a Kenda Parker fly apart on him on our way to Laughlin. Prior to this, I've never had a tire failure. I am having a weird streak though, last ride I lost a spark plug which was also a first for me.

Woa. Thanks for posting the pic. Glad it didn't catch on anything and send you flying.

He, at least it "looks" like the tube didn't go flat! What PSI do you run with the TubeSaddle? My WR250f and I believe the 05 WR450 have 2 rear rim locks. With how much speed and torque you're throwing down on the 525 maybe it's not be a bad idea to run a second?

Woa. Thanks for posting the pic. Glad it didn't catch on anything and send you flying.

He, at least it "looks" like the tube didn't go flat! What PSI do you run with the TubeSaddle? My WR250f and I believe the 05 WR450 have 2 rear rim locks. With how much speed and torque you're throwing down on the 525 maybe it's not be a bad idea to run a second?

I was running my usual 14 psi, even though I've never had an issue like this before I'm thinking about adding a second rim lock. I'm so glad this thing didn't come apart on the street.