Metal Twister

Extereme Off-Road Bike Trailers

We are in the design process for developing a small Off-Road motorcycle trailer that will be fully self contained with a pop-up type tent attached. The goal here is to build it as small and light as possible, and still keep the high quality required for extereme abuse. It will be using trailing arms with airbag suspension with the track with about the same as a jeep. Im looking for ideas that might be unique as far as the bike end of it.

because of the small size im leaning towards putting one bike inside, and an oppitional mount for a second bike on the exterior. There are several adventure / expedition style trailers avalible, but very few with the ability to carry a bike or two. The goal is to make everything on this trailer have a dual function. ie. ramp could double as a bench seat when when eating. kind of the Swiss Army Knife way of operation. Any input would be appreciated. Maybe unistrut along the sides and floor to secure the bike down tight ? :huh: This thing will have to be Heartattach hill and the Squeeze rated. Thanks again.

I would think, even if both bikes fit inside, it could be as skinny as a Jeep...One facing forward, one facing back. I would think you want a tracking width the same as a Jeep, with less cabin width and height. A motorcycle sideways is wider than two side by side (or three for that matter)

unitrack type system on each side, at two different levels. You could use it for the bikes and attaching other things...like a similar system as in most toy haulers, where the benches fold up in to the side

at one level it's a bench/cot, at the higher level, it's a table for the bench

any reason the pop up couldn't be on top? I've seen camper shells like this

Drop-Off?! Seems like it would need electric brakes for that sort of thing... don't want it fishtailing, and trying to drag your jeep down there.

Diamond plate on crash sensitive areas of the perimeter...

some sort of "chock' for the wheel... I've tipped bikes in the back of my trailer when they were wedged against the flat ramp.

obviously "ground clearance" and the ability for the wheel to articulate. Open wheeled? Go as short as you can, so that you don't bottom out on sharp topped hills, and keep the back end near the tires.

How self-sufficient are you thinking? porta potty? sink? heat/ a/c? Generator?

that's all I have for now, and this advice is worth exactly what you paid for it...

I would think, even if both bikes fit inside, it could be as skinny as a Jeep...One facing forward, one facing back. I would think you want a tracking width the same as a Jeep, with less cabin width and height. A motorcycle sideways is wider than two side by side (or three for that matter)

unitrack type system on each side, at two different levels. You could use it for the bikes and attaching other things...like a similar system as in most toy haulers, where the benches fold up in to the side

at one level it's a bench/cot, at the higher level, it's a table for the bench

any reason the pop up couldn't be on top? I've seen camper shells like this

Drop-Off?! Seems like it would need electric brakes for that sort of thing... don't want it fishtailing, and trying to drag your jeep down there.

Diamond plate on crash sensitive areas of the perimeter...

some sort of "chock' for the wheel... I've tipped bikes in the back of my trailer when they were wedged against the flat ramp.

obviously "ground clearance" and the ability for the wheel to articulate. Open wheeled? Go as short as you can, so that you don't bottom out on sharp topped hills, and keep the back end near the tires.

How self-sufficient are you thinking? porta potty? sink? heat/ a/c? Generator?

that's all I have for now, and this advice is worth exactly what you paid for it...

All great points ! Yes the tent will most likely attach and fold out from the top. I am leaning towards a modular design that will have the ability to load it up with all the creature comforts available. They even sell a small 12 volt microwaves now. Its called the Wavebox and might lend its self nicely. Electric disc brakes will be the stopping power. It will have sliders, bumpers, removable hitch that will attach to the rear of the trailer just incase. It will also be removable so it can be stowed inside the trailer while unattended. those things are hard to steel if you cant pull it. LOL Thanks again for the suggestions keep them coming, the more bizarre the better.

Thanks, I needed something new to Goggle tonight... and I have always loved a "Neat" trailer.

Best sites i came across, lots of ideas, and pics...

And looks like you could just run your basic bike racks, one in front and one on the rear.

just like the bike pic'.

libertytentraxlrtr5.jpg

Tentrax trailers...

orat5yr4.jpg

http://www.tentrax.com/gallery/gallery.html

Hitch toys.

picture20200bs6.jpg

http://www.hitch-toys.com./products.htm

.bushman trailers.

pic1largecm6.jpg

http://www.bushmantrailers.com/ArrivalDeparture/Index.htm

4x4 hitchs.

http://www.locknroll.com/

Trailers in action.

But then again there never be another " KONG " I trailer i built back in the early 80's.

when i worked at Unique Metal Products, It had 4 , 11/15 armstrong Tru-Tracs on it, air'ed down i could get to some pretty remote areas.

... And Ya ! . it was as light as a feather.

85hs5.jpg

Thanks, I needed something new to Goggle tonight... and I have always loved a "Neat" trailer.

Thanks for the help! We will build ours just a bit larger than these but along the same lines. thanks again.

I really like your Idea Twister; So what price range do you think these will fall into?

Something like that would be perfect for towing behind the 4Runner and now that Rachel is riding again it would be great to be able to haul two bikes and have a tent for weekend adventures.

I'd love to see what you come up with.

Very cool!

I really like your Idea Twister; So what price range do you think these will fall into?

Something like that would be perfect for towing behind the 4Runner and now that Rachel is riding again it would be great to be able to haul two bikes and have a tent for weekend adventures.

I'd love to see what you come up with.

Very cool!

We had our first Product development Meeting on the 28th of last month. We had some of the planets finest thinkers there. They come from all walks of life, Designers, Machinists, Educators, Fabricators, and End Users along with a Marketing Guru. Several of these guys are members here. Boy what a diverse group of guys riding Adventure bikes. The meeting ended with a lot of positive notes, So much so that the Solid Works Program has been smoking since then. I'm not so sure I want to throw the design out there until we can fine tune it a bit more. But it looks real good and is happening as we speak. We are shooting for our Proto type to be ready in May o8.

As far as price, we do want to keep it affordable. We have come to the conclusion that it will be modular. This will allow the end user to order it with what they think is important to them, while being able to control their budget. I'm thinking a basic Off-Road trailer with a arms, air bags, a four person high quality roof tent, and the ability to carry two bikes inside with a few extras should start around $5500.00, and go up from there. We haven’t crunched the exact numbers yet. And of course we will offer a SDAR discount when we get closer. If you have any ideas as far as features you would like to see in them, now is the time to let me know. Thanks Chief

It would be nice to be able to secure and lock a couple of fuel jugs on the outside somewhere. How about an update. hows the back? Are you riding the dash? :unsure: Ken

It would be nice to be able to secure and lock a couple of fuel jugs on the outside somewhere. How about an update. hows the back? Are you riding the dash? :unsure: Ken

Since I cart my bikes around on a trailer most of the time, I have been looking for a solution like the one you are talking about. I did a bit of research on popups, and what most of them come with, and after reading all of that, here are my suggestions:

Type of Trailer

• A popup style trailer with rails (3) on the roof so that I can bring my bikes along with me.
  • Ramps to load/unload bikes
  • Exterior eye bolts to hook straps too for the bikes.
  • Spare tire mount and cover
  • Toolbox mounted on the tongue or built into front to carry jack, hammer, etc
  • Fuel tank mounts (Dirt Bike Fuel)

Things I'd like to see:

STANDARD

• Sink
  • Water Tank
  • Water Pump
  • Stove (Interior and Exterior use)
  • Mini Fridge
  • Port-O-Pottie
  • Heater
  • Propane Tank Mounts
  • Queen Size Bed
  • Good lighting
  • Table that converts to a bed
  • Outside Shower
  • Outside Light
  • Power/Cable hookup
  • LP Leak Detector
  • Smoke Detector

OPTIONAL

• Stabilizer Jacks
  • Awning
  • 110 exterior outlet

--

You might find some neat idea's here:

http://www.fleetwoodcampingtrailers.com/se...mp;sn=Evolution

This is actual an interesting idea here (below) on how to have the popup with bike storage. However, being able to have the roof strong enough to mount the bikes/atv's on top of, it would shorten up the length of the trailer quite a bit, so you can store it in your garage like a car.

se_ev_ramps.jpg

se_ev_rails.jpg

This is actual an interesting idea here (below) on how to have the popup with bike storage. However, being able to have the roof strong enough to mount the bikes/atv's on top of, it would shorten up the length of the trailer quite a bit, so you can store it in your garage like a car.

se_ev_ramps.jpg

se_ev_rails.jpg

A friend of mine and her boyfriend have this trailer and, as far as I know, they really like it.....they strap both of their dirt bikes up front.......maybe I can get them to give me some insight on what they'd change/add now that they've had it for a year or so.....

I want this:

dbcf004aed842dda.jpg

08-airstream-basecamp.jpg

0606_z%20airstream_trailer%20side.jpg

08-airstream-basecamp-2.jpg

The ONLY problem, is that the base model starts just over $27,000 =\

I want this:

dbcf004aed842dda.jpg

08-airstream-basecamp.jpg

0606_z%20airstream_trailer%20side.jpg

08-airstream-basecamp-2.jpg

The ONLY problem, is that the base model starts just over $27,000 =\

Thats the Airstream trailer, Base Camp. Nice but not near enough off road worthy.

Sorry for not keeping you guys up to speed on this project. I have been busy marketing my newly patented clamp, But that is a no excuse I suppose. We had a real good product development meeting like i mentioned earlyer. As a result of that meeting we decided on a couple of things that might be of interest to you. The trailer will be based on a 4 foot by 8 foot platform. This would allow it to double as a construction trailer if required. At least that would give the construction guys a good excuse to buy a bad ass trailer.LOL It would be built on an expandable 3 stage modular platform. Stage one, the bare bone trailer would be a serious off road flatbed bike hauler. Stage two would be a box that would slide on to the the first stage like a camper in a truck bed. This section would provide all the storage for the kitchen, genertators, shower etc. The third and final stage would be the top which would enclose the unit and supply the roof rack. The roof tent would work on either stage 2 or stage 3. we have designed the trailing arms with the airbag placement. and have worked out the electric E brake that can be set in side the trailer to lock the wheels while parked. (theft prevention) It will have a tow bar that is removable, with the ability to attach it to the rear of the trailer and tow backwards if required. This will also allow you to store the tow bar inside the trailer for storage room savings, and theft prevention. Both of the bikes will be in the trailer, one facing foward and one backward as per bike sluts suggestion. At the present time I am collecting materials to build a basic proto type. This will be a trailer used to abuse and see if we can brake it. If all works well we will be building the first couple in late July or early August. We will be moving my shop location to a new facility at the end of march. this has slowed down the progress on the trailers quite a bit. Thanks for the interest and input. Oh Ken, the back is doing great! Ive got alot going on, and think the DD might not be on the plate for this year. Also wanted to let you guys know that dirt rider 86 never found his jeep! It is being replaced today with a real nice, super clean Black TJ. We truly are blessed! thanks again Bob

Can't WAIT to see what you come up with. From the sounds of it, when you start making these things, I will be a buyer :lol2:

Can't WAIT to see what you come up with. From the sounds of it, when you start making these things, I will be a buyer :lol2:

Great! I have a few others very interested in purchasing also. I will keep you up to speed on the progress. thanks for the reply.

Hey, good to hear from you! Hope things are going well... ;) For the past six years I have been looking for something myself. Initially I wanted a pop-up trailer that would be able to carry to bikes on top. They did not have any in the market in 2004 when I got my regular 25 foot trailer. I managed to put my two motorcycles inside the trailer as it has a slide out room. A few months after I purchased it, Jayco came up wiht the Baja Pop up models which could carry two bikes (just like the fleetwood showed above). Now there are different companies. My R.V. is fine, but my jeep is not strong enough for the R.V. with the motorcycles, specially going up the mountains (up to Big Bear, or coming back from Desert Dash). I went to see the airstream trailer, but it's like 28K expensive.. ouch! Anyway, I'm an enthusiast for this type of thing, so if you come up with something interesting, and not super expensive, I may sell my R.V. and get it... ;)

Hey, good to hear from you! Hope things are going well... ;) For the past six years I have been looking for something myself. Initially I wanted a pop-up trailer that would be able to carry to bikes on top. They did not have any in the market in 2004 when I got my regular 25 foot trailer. I managed to put my two motorcycles inside the trailer as it has a slide out room. A few months after I purchased it, Jayco came up wiht the Baja Pop up models which could carry two bikes (just like the fleetwood showed above). Now there are different companies. My R.V. is fine, but my jeep is not strong enough for the R.V. with the motorcycles, specially going up the mountains (up to Big Bear, or coming back from Desert Dash). I went to see the airstream trailer, but it's like 28K expensive.. ouch! Anyway, I'm an enthusiast for this type of thing, so if you come up with something interesting, and not super expensive, I may sell my R.V. and get it... ;)

I am always looking for ways to improve our products. By all means if you have any thoughts on features let me know... I have a half dozen or so very serious prospects allready. We need to get all my sorces lined up before starting. Along with some basic stuff liked wire harnesses etc.