Mikey777

Good place to take 10-11 year olds very basic dirt riding?

Over the last couple weeks I've been teaching my son and daughter basic riding on a KLX 110l in a big open, grassy field. I spent a lot of time with them on the clutch and brakes and I think they finally got it. I need a couple more sessions with them on simple maneuvering (basic turns, stops, etc.). Any recommendations on something relatively close that has really simple (mostly flat) dirt riding areas. Corral Canyon doesn't have enough big flat areas in my opinion to train on basic dirt skills. The dez is a bit too far away for a quick weekend lesson.

not super close but the dry lake bed at superstition is good. Or painted gorge is good and a little closer.

mine were taught just off the 8 in the dez off the evan hughes hwy near the sign for plaster city west , they were both single digit age. for example/consideration

There is an area east of Borrego Valley Airport, It's north of the dump and is on the opposite side of S22 from Peg Leg Rd. Its on the right side of the S22 as you're heading east. Its outside of ABDSP, but it isn't large enough to attract a lot of people. I learned there, my kids learned there. It has a large open flat area that is pretty hard. Just to the east and south there is a mix of Sand, Hardpack and some gentle ups and downs. Not really that close, but very secluded and once the kids get comfortable on the flats, they can try some of the smaller mounds and trails on the east side of this area.

I know exactly where you are talking about Mike...I usually only see a small handful people there unlike some of the other OHV areas which get a little nuts. I always assumed that was in the park. Good to know it is not.

There is a kid's practice course at the Corral Canyon campground. Then there is also lots of open space at Lark.

This is good to know...I've never been over to the campground area. Thanks Mimi