Sign in to follow this  
DigDug

DigDug and Jr Desert Run Dec 26-28(ish)

For anyone that has next week off, Mickey and I are going to load up the toyhauler and head out to Ocotillo Wells for a little mid-week camping/riding. The tentative plan is to head out early Wednesday morning and hopefully have half a day to mess around. From there, we play it by ear. We're currently planning to come back Friday afternoon, but if the riding and weather are good and the crowds aren't too bad, we may stay a little longer. Depending on how we feel, we may do a run south - to Plaster City and back (we've done it the other way around) one of the days.

Again, our plans aren't firm, but if anyone has the week off and wants to camp and ride, or just ride, you're more than welcome!!!

I'll post more info as we get closer.

I'd go if I could, but don't have the days off...and also I need to take my bike in Wednesday to have the oil leak fixed; luckily it's still under warranty.

I'm in...day?...place to meet?

Alex.

Alex, anyone else interested,

Well, our departure date from home got pushed back to Thursday. The storage place I keep the toyhauler was closed Monday (Christmas eve) and they're closed every Wednesday (the Camp Pendleton lot - crappy hours, but they're cheap). We're going to pick up the toyhauler early Thursday, load it up, and hopefully be out there by 2 or 3pm. Since we got a late start, unless Ocotillo Wells is a madhouse, we're going to stay through Sunday afternoon. I think we might shoot for the "cross country" ride down to Plaster City on Saturday and leave the crowds behind, but the great thing about camping is there's no agenda!!!! We're just happy to be throwing some sand and dirt around. Since Mickey's on a green sticker bike, we'll stick mainly to OHV-legal areas - of which there are plenty, so bring your kids and your dirtbikes!!!

We usually set up base just north of Hidden Valley Camp. Turn left on Cahuilla Trail, the first left past the Blu Inn. About a mile and a half in, you'll come through Hidden Valley Camp (you'll see the trash bins and a few picnic tables with covers). Keep going past the next ridge and we usually find a place off to the left a few hundred yards off the road. Here's the OW map:

ow_svra_map_small.jpg

from this website: Blowsand Website

My best guess for GPS coordinates are N 33 09.011 W 116 02.637. We'll find a spot near those coordinates to camp - you can plug them in to google maps or your GPS if you have one.

Here's a picture of our truck and toyhauler:

img0004dp9.jpg

Our schedule is wide open - if anyone wants to ride, post here and we can figure out where to meet or what time to be back at camp to meet. If anyone wants to camp, there's plenty of room. If anyone is on the fence, but decides they want to ride later on, give my a call on my cell phone. There's only OK coverage out there, so leave a message as to where/when.

Hope everyone had/is having a Merry Christmas!!!

If Thanksgiving is a Zoo, then Christmas is a ghost town. I was out there today and hardly another soul was out there. Merry Christmas and have a nice ride.

I'll be out Friday morning. We camp just west of County Line Road on the North side of 78. The GPS is N33 08.183 W116 05.146. There is a slight hill just pass County Line Road. Once you pass the hill we camp about 100 yards in. The rest of my family will be out Sat. morning. I hope it's not a zoo out there like the last few years. I'll try to hook up with you.

Barry

Cell 760-408-7482

Thanksgiving-05-048Web.jpg