I RODE THE KERNAN TRAIL TODAY (12/21) AND THE OVER HANGING BRUSH IS BUMMING ME OUT. I NORMALLY RIDE THAT TRAIL ON WEEKDAYS BECAUSE IT'S MY PERSONAL MOTO TRAIL AND I DON'T WANT TO MEET ANYONE UNEXPECTEDLY. WE NEED TO HAVE A GARDENING DAY WITH A FEW RIDERS AND CUT BACK THE BRUSH. HOW ABOUT IT ? MAYBE SAT. (1/5) AT NOON, MEET ON CORRAL CYN. ROAD WHERE THE TRAIL CROSSES THE ROAD. BILL 619 5075256

What the Hey! Members of the club toiled away under the broiling sun clearing brush on Kernan last summer. I thought it looked pretty good when we rode it last weekend. I know it is safer when there is good visability, but people just need to ride more carefully on it, so that we don't have to mow all the personality out of the surroundings. Riders treat it like a race track. I should know; I have almost been hit head-on on numerous occasions.

YEA THAT WAS ME WHO ALMOST HIT YOU AND OVER BY THE HELIPORT TO, SO GET OUTA THE MIDDLE OF THE TRAIL AND CUT SOME BRUSH I KNOW YOU KNOW HOW

YEA THAT WAS ME WHO ALMOST HIT YOU AND OVER BY THE HELIPORT TO, SO GET OUTA THE MIDDLE OF THE TRAIL AND CUT SOME BRUSH I KNOW YOU KNOW HOW

You're the one complaining. So shut your piehole and go cut it, yourself. :):D:) Wha'dya say your name was? Oh yeah, "RACERbill". B):D:D:D

Any particular section worse than others? Maybe the recent rains have spurred some growth. Of course taller riders are affected more by overhang.

Some might be able to gather on a weekday over the holiday. Could be safer this time of year. It certainly wouldn't hurt to keep up on it while it is cooler, but I'll defer to carguy if he has another month in the planning for this. :)

THE SOUTH SIDE NEEDS TRIMMING MORE. YOU CAN RIDE THE TRAIL JUST FINE BUT YOU CAN'T SEE FAR ENOUGH AROUND SOME CORNERS, ESPECIALLY IF YOU HAVE TO AVOID A QUAD. I SUGGESTED A DATE BUT I'M OPEN TO OTHER TIMES.

THE SOUTH SIDE NEEDS TRIMMING MORE. YOU CAN RIDE THE TRAIL JUST FINE BUT YOU CAN'T SEE FAR ENOUGH AROUND SOME CORNERS, ESPECIALLY IF YOU HAVE TO AVOID A QUAD. I SUGGESTED A DATE BUT I'M OPEN TO OTHER TIMES.

Your first post was about overhanging brush. We can definitely trim brush off the trail, including overhead clearance. But clearing brush strictly for visibility around corners is another thing altogether.

If we survey a particularly dangerous corner an improvement can certainly be proposed, but keep in mind it's a windy primitive Nat'l Forest Trail that's going to have blind corners regardless of the vegetation.

If it's a matter of angling back the growth by a few feet in a some key spots (often makes a difference), then that is OK. What I mean is we can't clear-cut to or change the character of the trail.

OK, we checked it out today and it can stand a bit of trimming. The most overgrown section was about a third of the way down from Four Corners. This was the area that got the least amount of attention this summer. Keep in mind we made a huge improvement to the trail, this section remains a sampling of how the whole trail used to look!!

Regarding sight lines (or visibility if you will), some of the brush that is blocking view can be trimmed within our allowances. I don't want to explain it here... but we'll have someone there who can demonstrate the guidelines the Ranger detailed when we have a work day.

BEFORE SDAR ADOPTED THIS TRAIL I USED TO TRIM IT MYSELF. IT WOULD RAISE THE MOTO FACTOR WHEN I DIDN'T HAVE TO BE CONCERNED ABOUT ONCOMING SO MUCH. THE AREA YOU MENTIONED IS WHAT I WAS TALKING ABOUT. POST A DATE AND I'LL BRING MY CLIPPERS.

Working on the next Adopt a Trail days.

With 500+ members, I will be looking for more volunteers this time. :huh:

See ya in the desert. :D

...I USED TO TRIM IT MYSELF...

...POST A DATE AND I'LL BRING MY CLIPPERS...

Good deal!

POST A DATE AND I'LL BRING MY CLIPPERS.

Anyone up for this next Friday? Either the 4th or the 11th?

I don't want to interfere with the race checkpoint some folks are manning this weekend... and some people might still have some time off this week. I wouldn't mind heading out there even if it was just a few folks.

Here's a map of the trail and the focus area for the next work out there:

http://www.gpxchange.com/fileinfo/index.as...e&ID=104377

ESPECIALLY IF YOU HAVE TO AVOID A QUAD

I thought Kernan was a motorcycle only trail. What gives?

Oh that's right, it's the quadtarded we are always looking out for.

:lol:

Guest Hammerin Hammon

ESPECIALLY IF YOU HAVE TO AVOID A QUAD

I thought Kernan was a motorcycle only trail. What gives?

Oh that's right, it's the quadtarded we are always looking out for.

:lol:

I may be a bad father, but my Wife and kids will ride snoboards not skiis, short boards not longbords, Motorcycles not Fn quads! :lol:

I rode Kernan just last week and didn't think it needed any immediate work. I don't think there's too many riders taller than me out there.

Maybe later in the Spring after most of the year's growth occurs. You round up a party now and you'll likely want to do it again in 3-4 months.

Not that trimmin' party's are a drag, just takes time and effort to organize.

I'll be at any SDAR functions I can attend.

Jon

Craig, what've you got against skiers?

I rode Kernan just last week and didn't think it needed any immediate work. I don't think there's too many riders taller than me out there.

Maybe later in the Spring after most of the year's growth occurs. You round up a party now and you'll likely want to do it again in 3-4 months.

Not that trimmin' party's are a drag, just takes time and effort to organize.

I'll be at any SDAR functions I can attend.

Jon

Craig, what've you got against skiers?