Pete

Lithium battery jump starter

Pete Springer

to SDAMC@yahoogroups.com

0 minutes agoDetails

http://www.afterpartz.com/us/universal-vehicle-multi-function-jump-starter-car-power-supply-12000mah.html

these battery kits are usually more like a hundred. When I first got the thing, I tested it and it would start my 1100cc Honda without the Hondas battery connected, but it wouldn't start my dodge Van V8 with it's battery disconnected.

72* Monday. I felt like going for a little putt. I hadn't ridden the bike 84 V65 Honda)for a couple weeks. I hit the starter and the bike fired right up, but then it died. It's been doing that a couple times during cold startups. This time it wouldn't refire upon trying.

The Speed of the starter sounded normal to maybe a little bit slow....or did I read 'slow' into it because it wasn't starting. I don't know. I prolly have 3 or 4 options to jump start a vehicle here at home....but I knew this was going to be an excellent chance to try out my new Lithium jump starter.

So it took me 5 minutes to go get the battery jumper starter and the Sabre started first try in an instant. I'm fast begining to like the hell out of that little battery, as an easy thing to have with me on trips or daily outing.

I took it with me on my last baja trip. It sure adds peace of mind where batteries are concerned, and it has a 19v tap for Laptops as well as the 5V and 12V accessory taps. It's just a dam good thing to have with you...on your car trips as well.

http://wfifan2014bj1000.blogspot.com

--

'Luck beats Good'.....Pete

damn, guys, I don't know how I got all that garbage in that post before my message. sorry about that. I was just trying to recommend that little jump starter

I have the Antigravity one that I bought after seeing Arnie's. It's very similar to the one you linked but about double the price! Not sure what the differences are, if any, but they're definitely a welcome addition to the trail kit. I jumpstarted my neighbor's Sienna that was so dead it wouldn't even click the solenoid when he turned the key. Took a bit to get enough juice into the battery to turn it over, but it succeeded. I'm sold on mine. :)

http://www.amazon.com/Antigravity-Batteries-Micro-Start-Starter-Personal/dp/B00FDYYK4A/ref=lp_318336011_1_3?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1419358477&sr=1-3#productDetails

After reading about Arnie using one in mex a couple weeks ago, I put this on my xmas wish list....If I don't end up getting one from Santa, I'll hit Amazon up for one.

I have the Antigravity kit as well. I carry it mostly when I'm 4wheeling. Started my niece's Honda CRV a few weeks ago no problem. Have also used it to jump start my Tundra V8. I have yet to use it on a bike. Going riding this week on bike with no kickstart plus 3 quads (also no kickstart) so I threw it in my Mojave bags just in case. Saw a knockoff in Walmart the other day for about $70 if I remember correctly.

It has served me well on two baja trips. A previous trip when a fellow rider's dr650 battery died trying to start a very cold bike and then this last trip starting Kris's 990. I will for sure be keeping it handy on longer trips.

Paul, when I pulled the pack out to hit my neighbor's van it had been sitting for probably a month since I had initially charged it. Still showed full charge and worked great. Manual says it will hold a charge for 3 months, but I don't know if that's a usable charge. Heh.

The first one I bought would not hold a charge for more than a few weeks. AG replaced it under warranty. The replacement shows fully charged even after a few months. When I jump started the CRV the other day it had not been charged in maybe two months.

There ya go! Lithium batteries are know for holding a charge, I've heard 6 months is not a problem.

Yeah. It's great that it will start 15 Cadillacs on a cold day, but I'd love one half the size that will only start seven on a warm day.

But still.....

Yeah. It's great that it will start 15 Cadillacs on a cold day, but I'd love one half the size that will only start seven on a warm day.

But still.....

Have you ever seen one in person?

But still.....

I think the one Vacman posted fits that bill.

Yeah- I saw Arfy's. Wait- that doesn't sound right... :coolio:

Don't get me wrong- I was VERY impressed by its size and capability. Like a small amount of fuel, it represents a very long walk.

I'm just wishing and hoping.

But still.....

I think the one Vacman posted fits that bill.

Ah!

Yes it does.

Now, where can I find seven Cadillacs.....

Besides you have the flux capacitor. Nothing to worry about!

Not on the Big Bike! The little bike is no problem- easy kick/bump start.

The big twins start pretty well bump starting. The key is to practice before you need to. But my bike has carbs, your fancy injected bikes need decent voltage to prime and fire the system when bump starting.

my bike has carbs, your fancy injected bikes need decent voltage to prime and fire the system when bump starting.

dinosaur-01.jpg

I've been doing a little testing of that Jumpstarter that I touted in the post that started all this. It's been hard for me to believe that the unit is a 14 ah battery. as in 1 amp for 14 hrs or 14 amp for 1 hr. It just isn't big enough.

anyway it has a 3 watt (their claim) LED flashlight, so I turned the light on and it stayed lit for 11 hrs. Those numbers work out to the battery being a little less than a 3 amp hr capacity.

So even though the unit does jumpstart things, it's not going to run a Laptop for very long, or it won't grind a starter for very long either. Say a motorcycle starter using 100 amp means it will grind it for only a minute or so.

I'd be very interested in an informal crank test on it- ignition disconnected, main battery disconnected, and see how much it cranks.

Honestly- though- I'd only need it to start the bike once when it's in a bad spot to make me buy one..

I have both the Anti Gravity and thanks to xmas gift from Kris the smaller Cycle Gear models. If anyone ...Paul... wants to come by and do a comparison test feel free.

I remember Jesse having one of the Cycle Gear ones in DV last year and raving about it. I'm not sure of the form factor differences but if the goal is to start a bike once then I'm betting either would work. If you have to crank a motorcycle for more than a minute in total then you have bigger issues than a dead battery. :)

If you have to crank a motorcycle for more than a minute in total then you have bigger issues than a dead battery. :)

Yeah- but...

on a multi-day adventure with a dead battery, several cranks might be necessary. And many olde-fashioned vintage bikes have carbs which can easily flood in the event of a tipover or simply a bad mood (I once owned a XR500) and benefit from cranking ability. My interest is reasonable- after all, what a GREAT thing for a bike without kickstart.

And yes, I said I'd be interested in an informal crank test, but I'm even more interested in having somebody else do t and report it here. :smile_anim: