PbdBlue

$50 rebate + $50 off on Delorme Inreach

Now this has me interested! I agree with the two way texting - may also be helpful if a rider gets separated and out of radio range.

Thanks for being the Test Mule on this device. We await your evaluation.

Does this leave a report trail as you ride along?

Tracking at 10 minute intervals and the comparison test I saw said better coverage the Spot. The Recreation Freedom plan is $35 a month but you can suspend the plan when not using it. It gives you 40 texts per month then $.50 per text after that.

Freedom plans require a minimum 30-day commitment and you can move freely up and down a plan at no charge. When going up a plan, a minimum of a 30-day commitment to the new plan is required. You can suspend your service on a monthly basis at no charge and still retain access to all your inReach data stored on the Explore portal. Your selected plan will auto-renew each month unless you make a change on your account in the Explore portal. There is an annual program fee of $24.95 to enroll in a Freedom plan.

http://www.inreachdelorme.com/product-info/subscription-plans.php

I'm thinking the safety plan makes more sense in general, because I'm not going to care about message overages when I really need it, but I'm not seeing a lot of value for an extra $20/mo.

I guess it depends though. They define the "Location Pings", but not the "Tracking Points". Is a tracking point is one of the automatic points that's sent every 10+ minutes, or is it something you manually send?

I've had one of these on my buy list for a while, and this is a good price.

I'm thinking the safety plan makes more sense in general, because I'm not going to care about message overages when I really need it, but I'm not seeing a lot of value for an extra $20/mo.

I guess it depends though. They define the "Location Pings", but not the "Tracking Points". Is a tracking point is one of the automatic points that's sent every 10+ minutes, or is it something you manually send?

I've had one of these on my buy list for a while, and this is a good price.

I jumped on this this morning. Been eyeing it for awhile and was going to wait until my Spot contract was up in April but what the heck. I'm thinking "Safety Plan" also and switch to the "Recreation Plan" if I do any big remote multi-day trips. You can send 40 text messages @50 cents each for the price difference. I don't use tracking. If the wife wants to know where I am she can "ping" my location for 10 cents.

That sounds like the thing to do. I went ahead and got the unit, as I've been on the fence a while and that's the best price I've seen. More of an insurance policy I guess, but seems like a good thing to have. Especially since I usually find myself on solo adventures.

I've used one for almost 2 years now, great device.

Good to hear. Mine will be here tomorrow. Just in time for a 10 day post Christmas desert outing.

Received the InReach. Nice little unit. Did a test message two way and worked without issue. Messages come pretty quickly (within a few minutes). It is a little larger than the Spot 2 but really like that it has built-in li-ion battery with over 100 hrs of runtime. Much nicer than dealing with AAA batteries. Signed up for the safety plan to start. Delorme has the same GEOS insurance offer as Spot ($17.95\yr).

My friend told me about this. I am going to check it out!

Hurry. You have to receive it and activate by the end of this month to get the rebate.

I picked up one of these last week before my trip with Rigger to Baja. We got back last night.

I really, really like this unit. Between the display on the unit itself and it's connection to an iPhone via Bluetooth, the user interface is far, far superior to the Spot. I used it to send quick "all good, this is where I'm staying" type text messages to my wife and friends while on the ride.

Highly recommended...and now I need to submit the rebate paperwork :-)