I'm one of them. Love doing day rides from Tecate to Laguna Hanson or overnighters down to Felipe, Mike's, or Meling. In the middle of swapping out bikes, but hope to be up and running soon! :blink: I agree that's it's difficult to find people sometimes, but with a week or two heads up it should not be too tough.

Well, as I explained to you on my pm there are two guys at work that enjoy Baja explorations. They want to do Santa Veronica to San Felipe sometime after the holidays. I will try to find out possible dates. I also would like to invite Joaquin, as he should have more time available after the holidays.

I have really enjoyed our past explorations South! But for me two or three explorations to the South a year is sufficient to fulfill my adventure spirit... :fool: I'd like to also do some longer different rides on this side of the border... :blink:

I need about 3 weeks to plan days off. Can't always get weekends; weekdays are usually no problem, but I have to plan them in advance also.

H4M - I'd like to go with you and the guys from your new job if they're willing to invite me also. I find myself wanting to go south more often than I can find someone who wants to come along. I'm more hesitant to go riding alone down in Mexico than I am in the States.

I just thought I'd start this thread to see if anyone here is interested in rides in Baja. If you just post a ride for a specific date, maybe someone's interested in going, but just can't make the dates you posted.

I need about 3 weeks to plan days off. Can't always get weekends; weekdays are usually no problem, but I have to plan them in advance also.

H4M - I'd like to go with you and the guys from your new job if they're willing to invite me also. I find myself wanting to go south more often than I can find someone who wants to come along. I'm more hesitant to go riding alone down in Mexico than I am in the States.

I just thought I'd start this thread to see if anyone here is interested in rides in Baja. If you just post a ride for a specific date, maybe someone's interested in going, but just can't make the dates you posted.

2Wheels - Count me in, can go just about any time with little notice. I've riden SOB day trips about 6 times this year, Tecate, Santa Veronica, Lake Hanson, and Ojos Negros. Speak very little Spanish.

I'm an intermediate rider at best, just back into riding after 25yrs off.

Riding 07 KTM 525 EXC Street legal

Gary Walker

San Diego

cell 760-445-7519

Guest Numbskull

My bike is the only thing I will drive down there. I'm down for a ride anytime!! I prefer not to ride the same trails over and over but rather explore the south San Filipe aera. Michael

I used to go to Baja at least three times a year. But, I haven't been able to make it down the past couple years. I have done many trips to Mike's and San Quintin and San Felipe.

But, I would love to do some day trips around RSV and Tecate. I know there are great trails out there. I have ridden a lot of them. Weekdays or a Saturday would be best for me.

I need to get a passport asap!

I hope we can do some rides!

I think you are still going to be good for a while w/o the passport. It was supposed to start in 2008, but I believe it will be more like June '09 before it's enforced. At least they say that will be the "latest". In between Jan 31 '08 and then you can use your driver's license, but will have to also supply proof of citizenship like a birth certificate if you don't have the passport. But you're right, the passport would still be the preferred way to go as carrying a copy of the cert would be sort of a pain.

http://www.mexadventure.com/MexicoTravel/U...ving_mexico.cfm

I think you are still going to be good for a while w/o the passport. It was supposed to start in 2008, but I believe it will be more like June '09 before it's enforced. At least they say that will be the "latest". In between Jan 31 '08 and then you can use your driver's license, but will have to also supply proof of citizenship like a birth certificate if you don't have the passport. But you're right, the passport would still be the preferred way to go as carrying a copy of the cert would be sort of a pain.

http://www.mexadventure.com/MexicoTravel/U...ving_mexico.cfm

Thanks for the info!

I hope to find some 1 day Baja rides posted here soon.

That's what I'm hoping for, too! ;)

I would love to do an overnight run to the sky ranch and laguna hansen area.

A 1 day ride would be too rushed to enjoy in my opinion.

For the more adventurous folks, a 2-3 day ride to Gonzaga Bay would be nice!

Here are some pics of the last time i went there in my 4x4:

http://www.bajaoverland.com/gonzaga.php

My schedule is pretty full until mid feb, but after that, i will be free EVERY weekend and always down to ride!

My schedule is pretty full until mid feb, but after that, i will be free EVERY weekend and always down to ride!

Sign me up to Gonzage Bay!!

That would be awesome!

Ron

Guest Numbskull

Some time ago I posted a ride to Gonzaga bay. It went something like this. drive /truck it to San Filipe, stay overnight @ a hotel and leave our vehicles there and ride so. to gonzaga bay stay overnight then ride so. again returning to the hotel for the second night the ride back to S.F and pick up our vehicles!!!!

Some time ago I posted a ride to Gonzaga bay. It went something like this. drive /truck it to San Filipe, stay overnight @ a hotel and leave our vehicles there and ride so. to gonzaga bay stay overnight then ride so. again returning to the hotel for the second night the ride back to S.F and pick up our vehicles!!!!

Not a chance in hell i would leave my vehicle unattended in Mexico! :D

Not a chance in hell i would leave my vehicle unattended in Mexico! :D

That's what rental vehicles are for. :D

A 1 day ride would be too rushed to enjoy in my opinion. ...

A one-day ride to Mike's would be rushed in my opinion also, although I guess it could be done. Tecate to Laguna Hanson, on the other hand, can be done in less than 2 hours at an easy pace. Tecate to La Rumorosa on the free road is 37 miles and it can easily be done at about 55 MPH. From La Rumorosa to Laguna Hanson is 35 miles on the dirt road. That road can be ridden at 30 MPH at an easy pace.

Does this sound like an easy day ride? It is... Why not just post it as an open-invitation day ride with a meet time and place where anyone can show up? Things can go wrong.

- One round of ammunition can get you hard time in Mexico.

- What can a "personal use" item get you in Mexico? Not something I want to be around. Just my personal opinion.

Guilt by association. I'd rather not be in a group where someone gets popped for breaking a foreign country's laws.

On the open-invitation rides, we sometimes get people who've never ridden a motorcycle off pavement. Everyone was new at one time or another, but a foreign country isn't the place to be learning. If, and this is a big if, Laguna Hanson were in the States, I'd post it as a noob introductory ride. Back in the old ride write ups, there's a thread about a ride where someone slid on a dirt road and broke his leg. He'd been riding motorcycles for a long time, but it was his first time off pavement. Had this happened in Mexico, even a short distance from the border, the extraction would have been more difficult. There was another ride where someone didn't bring enough water. Had it happened in Mexico, the result could have been worse. An injury plus lack of water a long way from help could turn into a fatality.

So what's my point? It's best to ride in Mexico with someone you know and have ridden with before. But if you're riding with someone for the first time, it's better to have things go wrong on a short ride than on a long ride several days from the United States.

A real nice 3 day ride that would give exposure to a little bit of everything would be Tecate to San Felipe via Laguna Hanson and the pine forest, taking the highway from Valle de Trinidad to San Matias wash and then the wash out across Laguna Diablo and into San Felipe. Day two could be heading south out of San Felipe via the old Puertecitos dirt road, behind the hills and down Matomi wash to where it dumps out on the highway and follow south to Gonzaga. Day three Gonzaga back to Tecate (coast road to Puertecitos, highway to Felipe, Laguna Diablo to San Matias, take the highway from there to just east of Ojos Negros and the main Compadre trail back to Tecate). Day three is a lot of miles, but about 100 of it is highway and all of the trails can be taken at a good clip. Just take a Friday off work to make the weekend and no one has to park their truck in Mex that does not want to. :D

As of October 2007 the traditional route from Laguna Hanson to Valle de trinidad now has locked gates on it. I tried 3 other route options to no avail. Since I didnt have the time to find a way through I ended up going into Ojos and getting on the highway. :angry:

I'm sure there is a way though but it will take a little exploring to find it. If anyone has figured it out please post a track if you are able.

Word from the locals is that the Ejido is putting up locked gates on many roads from Tecate, La Rumorosa, to Ojos Negros and Valle de Trinidad. Also word on the street is that they will leave one route open from Hanson to Trinidad although my Spanish was not good enough to understand exactly what route that is.

FWIW

A 1 day ride would be too rushed to enjoy in my opinion. ...

A one-day ride to Mike's would be rushed in my opinion also, although I guess it could be done. Tecate to Laguna Hanson, on the other hand, can be done in less than 2 hours at an easy pace. Tecate to La Rumorosa on the free road is 37 miles and it can easily be done at about 55 MPH. From La Rumorosa to Laguna Hanson is 35 miles on the dirt road. That road can be ridden at 30 MPH at an easy pace.

Does this sound like an easy day ride? It is... Why not just post it as an open-invitation day ride with a meet time and place where anyone can show up? Things can go wrong.

- One round of ammunition can get you hard time in Mexico.

- What can a "personal use" item get you in Mexico? Don't know, don't want to find out the hard way.

Guilt by association. I'd rather not be in a group where someone gets popped for breaking a foreign country's laws.

On the open-invitation rides, we sometimes get people who've never ridden a motorcycle off pavement. Everyone was new at one time or another, but a foreign country isn't the place to be learning. If, and this is a big if, Laguna Hanson were in the States, I'd post it as a noob introductory ride. Back in the old ride write ups, there's a thread about a ride where someone slid on a dirt road and broke his leg. He'd been riding motorcycles for a long time, but it was his first time off pavement. Had this happened in Mexico, even a short distance from the border, the extraction would have been more difficult. There was another ride where someone didn't bring enough water. Had it happened in Mexico, the result could have been worse. An injury plus lack of water a long way from help could turn into a fatality.

So what's my point? It's best to ride in Mexico with someone you know and have ridden with before. But if you're riding with someone for the first time, it's better to have things go wrong on a short ride than on a long ride several days from the United States.

:) Huh? I'm not certain if theres an invitation hidden in there and given the above criteria, I'm not certain I'm qualified to ride in Mexico... but I wanna. WTH, a one-day out and back sounds like a good way to begin again and I think I remember being able to ride offroad. I'm 50, relatively ppfffttt, got the right gear, and looking for a/some considerate soul(s) to lead the way.

:) So whens the next jaunt South and what else do you need to know...?

:blink: Huh? I'm not certain if theres an invitation hidden in there and given the above criteria, I'm not certain I'm qualified to ride in Mexico... but I wanna. WTH, a one-day out and back sounds like a good way to begin again and I think I remember being able to ride offroad. I'm 50, relatively ppfffttt, got the right gear, and looking for a/some considerate soul(s) to lead the way.

:rolleyes: So whens the next jaunt South and what else do you need to know...?

email sent.

I suppose my post about qualifications makes me sound like a curmudgeon, but sometimes certain things have to be said.

Some commonsense things to think about before riding off-pavement in a foreign country:

** The riding in Baja California can be easy or difficult depending on where you go. For someone who's never ridden off-pavement, practice riding off-pavement for a few hundred miles at home and maybe take take the MSF dirtbike class.

** Don't do anything that can get you in trouble in the foreign country or coming back through the port of entry.

I suppose my post about qualifications makes me sound like a curmudgeon, but sometimes certain things have to be said.

No, i think you are 100% in the right here Gene and i agree with ya whole heartedly!

If people take offense to it, so be it.

I would rather have someone "Mad At Me On The Internet" then go to mexico with someone that rides beyond their ability and gets hurt trying to do their version of Johnny Campbell.

Its a comfort thing.

I have ridden with a lot of folks on here, and i wont hesitate to say that there are some i would ride in Mexico with and there are some that i wouldnt.

Baja isnt Anza Borrego, AAA isnt going to come save you and a ambulance isnt going to drive on dirt roads for 50 miles to come get ya.

My .02

Currently, Baja adventure is perfect at this time... The weather are so forgiving and the Baja desert flowers are blooming. I just did an enduro tour starting from San Diego to Hacienda Santa Veronica to San Felipe then a final destination to Coco's Corner with my XT225 last weekend. I had a blast and lot of stories to share.

Don't wait too long, it's going to be hot and humid sooner or later........

Ride safe,

Gery

There must be more than 2 guys in San Diego with dual sport bikes interested in day rides around Tecate. Lots of good riding down there. These pics are from last Saturday.

20080308StaVeronica002.jpg

Restaurant at Hacienda Santa Veronica

20080308StaVeronica004.jpg

Myself and Kerry at Laguna Hanson.

We're trying for one ride per month. Anyone else interested? Send an email or PM me.