Sign in to follow this  
vanjoosten

Bags for a 950SE - Wolfman? Giant Loop? Something Else?

Looking for some luggage for my 950SE. I've been leaning towards either the Wolfman E-12 or the GL Coyote. I don't plan on any cross country, or north to Alaska trips, so I just need weekend "Baja" type bags. I'm stuck in online research purgatory, so any advice would be appreciated!

I jumped on the GL bandwagon when they first came out a few years ago. After several trips on the 570...I sold all of my GL stuff and am now using Wolfman luggage on both bikes. The E-12's are all you need for weekend stuff, maybe toss on their enduro duffel, or expedition duffel if you need a water/dust proof option for clothes, etc. Wolfman stuff is very modular, allowing you to add/remove options for a variety of trips. And smaller is better. There's a temptation to fill bigger bags with stuff you don't need...because you have the space.

Once you pack the GL stuff and put it on your bike, total PITA to get to items during a ride.

+1 on what Rich said. E-12's with the top bag is perfect for a long weekend Baja ride. It does make getting under the seat on the SE a bit of a PITA with the way they connect to the frame but Its not a huge deal...plus there's probably a way to figure out a quick connect method. A wolfman expedition waterproof duffle is a good idea if you expect rain although based on my last Baja ride where we did hit a bit of rain I may pick up a few waterproof stuff sacks for the e-12s and have no worries. Def recommend....

I'm happy with my Wolfman set up and you know how many different tail bag set-ups I've gone through. I don't think the GL stuff is worth the extra cost unless you are taking longer trips that involve a lot of water along the way.

i-Sfs7tWD-L.jpg

i-MKh5NtX-L.jpg

i-zz5Qz6q-L.jpg

The grey bag is stuffed with towels or something, not camp stuff.

i-xXMZVf2-L.jpg

I'm happy with my Wolfman set up and you know how many different tail bag set-ups I've gone through. I don't think the GL stuff is worth the extra cost unless you are taking longer trips that involve a lot of water along the way.

None of the GL stuff is waterproof, not even close, unless they've changed their manufacturing process. Which was, as I found, to include a tube of seamseal and a small applicator brush with the $$$$ bags, which means you're the final step in their assembly process. Cheesy.

For me the beef is the inability/PITA of getting into the Coyote once it's on the bike.

E12 with a Kriega 20 on back, this way you can keep your clothes waterproof and have one bag you grab to take to your room and not unpack/repack all your crap.

Couple weeks ago we got rained on in Baja and was glad to have dry clothes.