HotRod82

Helmet mounted go-pro - bad idea?

The reports today said Schumacher’s son blames his father’s condition on the GoPro camera that was mounted to the race car driver’s helmet at the time of the incident.

Well, I see the claim, but no details at all.

Further digging claims the helmet had broken, but all was OK with the helmet(???):

“The helmet completely broke. It was in at least two parts. ENSA analyzed the piece of the helmet to check the material, and all was OK,” a source close to the investigation told The Telegraph.

So. Willful skiing has far less insurance than GoPro or the helmet manufacturer.

Somebody is fishing for an insurance claim.

Did not read the article, but I will say and others are on the same page, having a top mounted camera is no good when branches are part of the trail. I think a chest mount is probably the safest and secondary, a front chin-bar mount (as in very front). With that said, I've been meaning to remove my top helmet mount for a while now.

The reports today said Schumacher’s son blames his father’s condition on the GoPro camera that was mounted to the race car driver’s helmet at the time of the incident.

Further digging claims the helmet had broken, but all was OK with the helmet(???):

“The helmet completely broke. It was in at least two parts. ENSA analyzed the piece of the helmet to check the material, and all was OK,” a source close to the investigation told The Telegraph.

So. Willful skiing has far less insurance than GoPro or the helmet manufacturer.

That may very well be part of it, but it makes logical sense to me that a device fastened to a helmet will have some affect on how the impact load is spread out over the surface (shell) of the helmet. The camera can literally be pushed through the helmet and into your skull. Pretty good chance helmet manufacturers will start putting warning labels on helmets discouraging the mounting of cameras.

That may very well be part of it, but it makes logical sense to me that a device fastened to a helmet will have some affect on how the impact load is spread out over the surface (shell) of the helmet. The camera can literally be pushed through the helmet and into your skull. Pretty good chance helmet manufacturers will start putting warning labels on helmets discouraging the mounting of cameras.

Out of curiousity...from those of you that own helmet mounted cameras...do the cameras come with any disclaimer or warning of any type either on the unit itself or within the packaging/warranty/paperwork information?

i've had my gopro for about a year and have yet mounted it. bought it for the sport bike track but never had a chance to use it. I've never been a big fan of helmet mounted cameras. what would be the best sport for mounting for dual sport?

i've had my gopro for about a year and have yet mounted it. bought it for the sport bike track but never had a chance to use it. I've never been a big fan of helmet mounted cameras. what would be the best sport for mounting for dual sport?

there is a handle bar mount, but then you run in to another dilemma, will you get impaled by it it. Problem with a bar mount is it is fixed to only a forward perspective. You miss a lot by having it fixed on a dirt bike, unlike a sport bike on the track. Try a chest mount for the dirt bike, but if you're a casual dual sport rider, then a bar mount might suffice.

P.S. I've had Go Pro bar mount on my track bike fly off due to the intense vibrations braking the mounting arm. If you mount on a bike (anywhere), or on the body I recommend you having a secondary tether in keep it with you in case of mount failure.

gonna look for the bar mount and chest, i'll definitely be more of the casual rider. The helmet mounted videos give good rider perspective but seeing them after gets me all nauseous! too much rapid movement. thanks for the input.

Imo mounted to the side of the helmet presents a much lower risk than the top of the helmet. I'm comfortable with the risk of a side mount below the ear application but I can see where a top mount would cause some concern.

I've been tossed off my dirty more than once with a top mounted camera and much to my surprise it never got in the way (broke free or moved). Not saying that it couldn't/wouldn't cause damage, just my experience. It's seems like it would be a weird one off, but that's all it would take to be a bad thing, situation where the camera was hit dead on to cause it to drive in to the helmet shell. Also, keep in mind that Michael Schumacher was wearing a ski helmet, that as far as I know, it not as protective as our larger moto helmets.

It's not the camera that I would be worried about but rather the mounting plate that will likely stay on the helmet after the camera is ripped off. Having that small area hard impact point might have a serious effect on the integrity of the helmet.

Wouldn't mounting the camera on your chest also pose the problem of it being crushed into your chest. I think almost any mounting position could pose a threat of compounding injury. But the odds are somewhat unlikely.

The can be said about everything, tool bag, goggles, handlebar, etc. While there is always a possibility for bad results, I think a chest mount is probably the least likely place on the body to cause harm. If you wear body armor (chest protection) injury is lessened, also chest impact, I assume, is a very, very small percentage with accidents. But as stated it only takes one odd hit for things to be bad. I would make sure the chest mount sits above the sternum and not on it. Otherwise the safest option is no camera, or no riding.