Sign in to follow this  
TrophyHunter

Looking for licensed contractor who installs windows.

Recommend a licensed, insured and GOOD window contractor?

As with all projects, weeding through the details is the key. We've tried to give our money away a couple of times after getting a contractor and window dealer selected but businesses just can't be bothered to call back. Business must be good since we're at a "we'll write you a check, just get us the details of the install price, window price and the date you'll start".......crickets.

One contractor finally got back to us with his final bid 2 weeks after he did the measurements...after I emailed him twice.....and called him. Crap, if folks can't get back to you when they want your money, what'll happen mid-job?

Anyway - rant off.

Recommendations? 22 windows, probably Simonton, cash in hand.

Thx

I hear you Ken, i've been trying to get folding glass doors installed in a garage door opening for almost 2 years. No one seems to want my business. One guy gave me a pretty expensive quote but seemed to know what he was doing so we said yes and then we never heard from him again. A window/door place in Carlsbad gave me a quote for something I didn't want and then called back three times and said he'd get me a quote the next day and it was always for the same thing. If I was 30 years younger I'd go into this business and in 3 years all of these other slackers would be out of business. All you have to do is say what you can do and do what you say. End of Rant

Covered in Frustration

I am a glazing contractor, but I only do Commercial work.

I refer all my clients to Picture Perfect windows for work on their homes.

They are very good and reliable from what I've heard back from the people I send to them.

Hopes this helps you out. I've been in the business over 30 years and Josh is the most reliable I know of.

619-916-3697

Appreciate the shared misery, Chris. And agree.....

Ken - thx - I'll give 'em a call in the AM.

Shoulda just gone with the floors like I wanted, Bum would have my money and I'd have a quality install done already.

Trophy, Try Dan Boyer construction located in Ocotillo. Dan did our windows about 6 months ago and he might travel for a job that big.

Well, I figured a follow up was in order. Done with the install after selecting Coughlin Windows in Escondido. http://coughlinwindows.com/

Consumer Reports rated Simonton windows very high for a variety of reasons. David King came out, measured the windows and gave us a bid - the same day! He just pulled out a wireless printer, worked the bid up after discussing window selection and bingo. Such a welcome change after our previous experiences with other companies.

With any project, there will be hiccups. It's how those are handled that make a difference IMO. Coughlin was outstanding with follow up prior to the install date, their crew was respectful and easy to get along with. We just had to move the small items and they handled moving furniture, etc. A tarp was put down inside to cover flooring while working on each window and they cleaned up all debris inside and out when done. Even when one window was giving them problems, a quick call from the guys got another team out to help them finish in the scheduled time.

All of their insurances and licenses were in order, the crew is their own - not subbed - and any question or concern was addressed quickly. Really couldn't have asked for a better experience.

Nice to hear it worked out for you. Choosing contractors is a mine field. We used the Window Factory 6-7 years ago to replace all our windows, also with Simonton. Best investment we've ever made in our house by far. House is cooler, quieter, looks 100% better, and no more bone-chilling aluminum screech when sliding windows open or closed.

3-4 years after the installation there was a deluge kind of rain storm and we discovered that a window in the master bedroom had been leaking for quite a while and had destroyed the inside of one of the wood shutters on the window. The Window Factory came out and patched the leak and paid to have the shutter replaced. ---- happens, but they stepped up and took care of it.