moto_hobo

Anyone know a good local welder?

Hi gang,

New poster here. I come to this forum in search of some local help from fellow riders.

I bought a DR650 that appeared ultra clean, was low miles, ran great and was a great price. Turns out the previous owner had punctured the bottom of the case offroading, plugged the hole with quicksteel or jb weld, covered the plug with a coat of epoxy and painted it silver to match the case. I didn't drop the skid plate to check under the bike before buying and he failed to inform me.

Overall, not the end of the world. Bike runs great. Problem is the plug has started to leak and I want to get this fixed properly.

Anyone know a good local TIG welder? Preferably one who rides or understands this type of repair?

Thanks guys!

You need to ask The Oracle.

No, really- he'll jump in here shorty.

Seems like you will need to remove the engine and most likely split the cases so they can be worked on. May end up being cheaper to just get a new set of cases off ebay.

With the oil soaked aluminum (/ Magnesium?) its not so easy to be welded. The case need to be split and soaked in strong carb/brake cleaner for some time.

Waiting on The Oracle. He recently did something like this successfully.

Hi gang,

New poster here. I come to this forum in search of some local help from fellow riders.

I bought a DR650 that appeared ultra clean, was low miles, ran great and was a great price. Turns out the previous owner had punctured the bottom of the case offroading, plugged the hole with quicksteel or jb weld, covered the plug with a coat of epoxy and painted it silver to match the case. I didn't drop the skid plate to check under the bike before buying and he failed to inform me.

Overall, not the end of the world. Bike runs great. Problem is the plug has started to leak and I want to get this fixed properly.

Anyone know a good local TIG welder? Preferably one who rides or understands this type of repair?

Thanks guys!

Motoho - Try Keith Franklin at 619-204-4111. The man can weld anything... :coolio:

Thanks for the help. I'll try Keith. Hopefully it can be done without removing the engine/splitting the cases. Otherwise, I'll probably just repeat the jb weld job and hope for the best... or duct tape.

Still curious about the Oracle though...

Did the previous owner have an unfortunate accident... yet?

Not unless karma took care of him for me. Been a while since I bought the bike. Never had any reason to drop the skid plate so I never even knew this was there.

I feel foolish now, but really when I bought it the thing was, CLEAN. Not even a scratch. You would think it had never even been offroad. The skid plate, that he obviously didn't buy until after the fact, hid the damage.

There is a slight twist to this story in that I discovered this while prepping the bike for the real reason why I bought it. I'm supposed to be leaving in 3 weeks for Panama on this thing... kinda want it to be reliable.

I'll try Keith in the morning. Thanks again guys.

If this infant sorted out I will dig up the name of a guy in Clairemont. BOB LEE welding is what he calls himself. Hes off clairmont mesa blvd off the 805. I have his business card somewhere in the garage.

He did some tig welding on the case on my vstrom 1000 to replace a couple threaded ears that broke off when the chain went. I think I paid him $100. Those things were really hard to reach...

No relation, but he did reasonably good work

Update: Thanks for the help everyone. I went with Keith. The guy killed it. Couldn't have gone smoother! Off to Panama in a couple days now.. we'll see how that goes!

Cheers

Guess I'm a day late and a dollar short on this one...sorry I missed this thread for some reason.

As you may have guessed, I cracked the case on my 950 Adventure and had it successfully welded by a friend of a friend that used a special cold welding process normally used on aircraft parts.

Glad you go your fixed!!

Update: Thanks for the help everyone. I went with Keith. The guy killed it. Couldn't have gone smoother! Off to Panama in a couple days now.. we'll see how that goes!

Cheers

Excellent. Glad Keith could help! :smile_anim: