Hey all! I am Matt, been riding various BMWs on the street for the past 11 years, currently have a 99 R1100S (that I will be selling), 2003 R1100S Boxercup Replika, 1989 K100RS, and a 2009 G450X (more on that below). Used to have a 1976 R90/6 that I had to sell and still miss.

My wife has a 2007 G650X Country that I lowered to fit her 5'3" self, she is learning to ride still. She has been thru the MSF course and went out to MotoVentures recently for a dirt class. She had a blast in the dirt and we might get her a little 125 4-stroke or something in the near future.

I picked up a 2009 G450X that came with some Woodys RAD/Excel super motard wheels, and needed a motor rebuild... Picked up a crank from Germany and had it shipped over. Unfortunately the day after I ordered the crank I found out about ZipTy racing up in Hesperia area. They are, as I am told, the gurus on the Husky 449/511 motors that are essentially the BMW 450. I talked to them about rebuilding the motor and doing some suspension work, they offered to have a local SD rider to come to my house and pickup the bike. Customer service! After a month and a half of waiting my crank finally showed up and I forwarded it on to the ZipTy shop, showed up yesterday. Waiting to talk to Ty to make sure everything is good and find out a rough timeline to get it done. Bike has full Akrapovic exhaust and Speedbrain graphics kit as well.

I am not an experienced dirt rider, had an 80s CR125 18 years ago. Rode my wifes 650 a little in the dirt while waiting for the suspension to arrive. Has a blast doing it and decided I needed a dirt machine. Planned on getting an X Challenge to match hers, or a KTM 690. The 450 came up at a good deal and I jumped on it. Buddy had one and he loved it, so decided it was worth the work. Not sure what kind of riding I will get into, want to just go out and try a few things and have fun!

This is how she was loaded into truck heading to get motor done. Motor was in a tote.

2014-05-26_12-49-40_133.jpg

So anyways, that is my story. Any locals that want to teach me the ropes would be welcome! Once I get the bike back of course..

Matt

Welcome aboard. Watch the forum for rides and don't hesitate to post a back roads ride as some of us just like getting out and don't mind where.

Welcome aboard, Matt!

It appears you meet the basic qualifications of an SDAR member: You own at least one bike and want to ride.

We'll see you out on the trails.

Danny

Good news. as we communicated before, you are in good hands with the pros up at ZipTy Racing with your GS450 engine (they are the US kings of the BMW/KYMCO/Husky-engine).

Welcome to the club....my buddy jonathan has a 450x, he is bigwvjumper on here....he might offer you more practical advice on the bike....

Very cool your wife is excited about riding..always nice to see more ladies getting out there........I'd be happy to go ride with you guys....shoot me a message ahead of time, we can plan something....cheers, debie (dsfox)

Thanks all! I am getting soo anxious to get out and ride some dirt. Motor is being worked on now, hopefully no more than 2 weeks before I can hit the dirt.

dsfox, it seems he is no longer active, 2013 was last login..

I am excited to have her ride, looking for small dirt only bike for her so she can get more comfortable riding. TTR125, CRF150, or maybe KTM 85.. Have to find some to size her up on them and see what we find..

Robert, yeah I am glad to have found out about him. Was willing to tackle it myself, but definitely prefer to have them do it, especially with the tricks they know. Going to try and get the recirc kit adapted to the G450, hopefully its easy enough they can kit it out for the other folks out there too..

Matt

Welcome to the forum. Bigwvjumper is busy posting "foodies" over on FB. :heh: But if you sent him a personal message, you'd most likely get an answer. :smile_anim: