The big dog of North American off road racing starts in just 3 days. The Baja 1000. Folks we here at SDAR have one of our own taking part in it. Our forum moderator Boston Mangler and his company Baja Overland have built a truck and will be racing in this year's desert gauntlet. I believe Mangler himself will be starting the race and driving the first leg for his team. I last spoke to Kevin almost two months ago, he's been pretty busy with pre-race prep work so things may have changed. Irregardless of the driver lineup, that's a hell of a challenge to enter and prep a team for such a competition.

I wanna say "good luck brother" to Boston Mangler and the whole Baja Overland crew. I'll be listening for updates from my hotel room in Florida and I sure hope you do well.

Jon

Great post Jon.

Good Luck Mangler and Team Baja Overland. Race hard and don't break!

We've got a couple of Division 8 Racing stickers on the swingarm of the TDR Racing Honda 450X (that's right, we sponsor a HONDA :):) ) Their race number in Class 21 is 103X

Was just checking on the 1000 and Score 1 the helicopter went down near Mikes Sky Ranch 2 dead 2 critical.

Mile 375 Robby bell 1X had a good lead on Tim Morton 14X.

Was just checking on the 1000 and Score 1 the helicopter went down near Mikes Sky Ranch 2 dead 2 critical.

What website are you following the race at? Hammer and I BOTH want to know :lol::D;)

What website are you following the race at? Hammer and I BOTH want to know :lol::D;)

Try this link: SCORE updates

Guest Hammerin Hammon

Last weekend somebody asked me why I ride Honda. Last year the first 12 bikes to finish were Honda. The 13th. bike was over 6 and a half hours behind the first Honda and was a KTM. :lol:

Last weekend somebody asked me why I ride Honda. Last year the first 12 bikes to finish were Honda. The 13th. bike was over 6 and a half hours behind the first Honda and was a KTM. :lol:

NOBODY CARES WHAT YOU RIDE... Its not like the KTM people cant afford a honda, and why not mention the yamahas, suzukis, huskys, bmws etc, didnt they race. Just ride and be happy I had a blast with you last weekend......

1X crossed the finish line at 7:21.

No surprise there!

That team has phenomenal backing and support. I heard they're going to run it on a CRF-50 next year!

:lol:

Seems like a pretty messy year as far as accidents are concerned though... ;)

Guest Hammerin Hammon

Last weekend somebody asked me why I ride Honda. Last year the first 12 bikes to finish were Honda. The 13th. bike was over 6 and a half hours behind the first Honda and was a KTM. ;)

NOBODY CARES WHAT YOU RIDE... Its not like the KTM people cant afford a honda, and why not mention the yamahas, suzukis, huskys, bmws etc, didnt they race. Just ride and be happy I had a blast with you last weekend......

I was just posting last years results, I was surprised myself :lol: but also happy :D I didnt post that a BMW was 15TH and thats as far back as the article went. Sorry I left out the BMW. That was wrong.

What makes me happy about the first 12 bikes being HONDA is that( MOST OF THEM WERE NOT TEAM HONDA) and that about 50% were 450X. and still finished on top at the WORLDS TOUGHEST and LONGEST point to point race. :D

This year I had wished KTM would win on the 690, to force HONDA to build a better XR 650, but with another win on the 450X it looks like they will be selling alot of 450Xs.

I guess I will have to settle for a 450X with a top speed of 107 instead of a XR 650 R with a top speed around 120. :D

Here are the bikes and times.

1X 6:47

14X 8:00

9X 8:29

302X 9:25

307X 9:50

405X 10:54

107X 11:26

549X 11:36

101X 11:58

448X 11:58

5X 11:58

3 12:07

17X 12:07

4 12:21

12X 12:25

500X 12:34

1A 12:51

113 13:01

5A 13:01

304X 13:10

103A 13:12

13X 13:21

2X 13:22

502X 13:31

100 13:32

403X 13:32

305X 13:44

409X 13:44

401X 13:50

151X 13:51

118 13:54

71 13:58

406X 14:03

308X 14:15

413X 14:30

21X 14:35

283X 14:42

411X 14:50

7A 14:50

114 14:56

7x 15:29

105 15:37

250x 15:38

2 15:51

1200 15:51

15x 15:52

19x 15:53

449x 15:56

12 15:59

236 16:03

38 16:04

1215 16:08

41 16:14

1 16:22

10x 16:28

106x 16:30

11x 16:35

412x 16:40

207x 16:50

294x 17:00

404x 17:01

262x 17:03

263X 17:09

1216 17:11

306X 17:17

1003 17:24

105X 17:25

128 17:42

200 17:44

127 17:54

63A 17:57

23X 18:05

280X 18:18

504 18:28

408X 18:31

274X 18:32

282X 18:35

8X 18:37

16X 18:46

82 18:56

1603 18:56

1657 19:04

1608 19:09

1604 19:19

20X 19:26

1212 19:33

288X 19:38

53A 19:42

Honda teams took first and second place KTM took 3rd

The KTM Baja Team included riders: David Pearson, Cyril Despres, Shane Esposito, and Quinn Cody. The team raced aboard the new KTM 690 Baja bike. The bike was first seen at its test run during the Baja 500 event earlier this year. The Baja 1000 event served as the first race effort for the KTM Baja 690 bike which has proved to be a durable high-performance race machine.

National Hare and Hound Champion, David Pearson, was the first rider on the number 9X KTM Baja 690 bike leaving ninth off the line. Before the first check point Pearson had moved into second place behind the 1X of the Factory Honda Team. Pearson then handed the bike over to his teammate, 2006 Dakar Rally winner, Cyril Despres for the next leg. Despres took off with lightening speed but his efforts were halted after the rear tire blew apart around mile marker 250. The team lost valuable time during the tire change. Once the bike was repaired, Despres remounted and finished out his turn at which point he handed the bike back to Pearson. Pearson rode strong through the high-speed sections of the rocky desert but misfortune struck again with a second tire issue at mile 400. This time the tire came completely off the wheel which made it more difficult and cost more time for the team to change. It was at this point that the #14X machine was able to pass the KTM team for second position.

After the second repair, Pearson remounted and found his fast race pace again. Soon his turn was up and he handed it over to Esposito who had a smooth ride into the night. Esposito’s ride was problem free allowing him to maintain third position. He finished and passed the machine into the hands of the fourth team member Quinn Cody. Cody was feeling strong coming into the first check point. Unfortunately, right before his first check he hit an unavoidable large hole that sent him flying over the bars. Luckily his crash was close enough to the pits that he was able to remount and ride slowly over to his team where a backup rider (Despres) was waiting. As the team tended to Cody; Despres got on the machine and continued on to the next check.

At that check point Despres passed the bike off one last time to Pearson who would finish the last 250 miles. Pearson crossed the finish line at 8:30am in the third place position behind the second place Honda team on the 14X bike and the first place of the number 1X Factory Honda Team.

Despite the misfortune of two tire blowouts and one significant crash the KTM Baja Team was still able to earn a podium finish. Congratulations to the 2007 KTM Baja Team whose effort and progress with the new KTM 690 Baja bike has earned their second team podium finish of the year!

The 9X team would have included Chris Blais, 2007 Dakar 3rd place winner, AND THEY WOULD HAVE BEAT Team Honda EASILY!!! Probably by a couple of HOURS even!!! :) But Chris suffered a catastrophic injury to his T7 pre-running the Vegas to Reno in August. See THIS website for more info on Chris.

I didn't see the 103X on the list so I called my pal Eddie who's the Team Manager. He said the Honda 450X burned all it's oil and failed at RM 320 :lol:

At the time, they were 2 minutes behind the 107X so I know they would have finished verrrry strong!

Eddie thinks they still had accumulated enough points in the 2007 SCORE series to wind-up 2nd in class 21 :rolleyes: Congratulations guys! :lol:

Guest Hammerin Hammon

Every team has little problems.

Congratulations TEAM HONDA beating a 690 with a 450 by over an hour in the Worlds longest, fastest, touhgest, point to point Off road race.

The technology of team HONDA seems to be well beyond all others.

With the most overall wins at 18 and 13 consecutive overall wins. ( OVERALL)- Meaning- no other vehicle of any kind.

More on this story when my costomer Don Rutundo. (Team Honda pit crew) returns from Baja.

The SCORE- HONDA -18 overall wins.:rolleyes::lol:

KTM - 0

SORRY about the spelling I had to go to work at the" Rutundo "Tanning Salon.

post-465-1195172119_thumb.jpg

post-465-1195172174_thumb.jpg

post-465-1195172246_thumb.jpg

I'll probably regret this in the morning, but what the hell :rolleyes:

The SCORE- HONDA -18 :lol::)

KTM - 0

I know you can't spell, but can't you READ either?

In their 2nd race EVER on the 690 Baja, Team KTM overcame two catastrophic tire failures and a night crash only to gain a PODIUM finish (that means one of the top 3 spots).

Congratulations to the Honda guys and the 450X which is proving to be a very fast and reliable machine (I can't wait to see the Dakar version), but don't forget to check your six :lol:

MA-JesusLovesYou.gif

Guest Hammerin Hammon

I'll probably regret this in the morning, but what the hell :rolleyes:

The SCORE- HONDA -18 :D:D

KTM - 0

I know you can't spell, but can't you READ either?

In their 2nd race EVER on the 690 Baja, Team KTM overcame two catastrophic tire failures and a night crash only to gain a PODIUM finish (that means one of the top 3 spots).

Congratulations to the Honda guys and the 450X which is proving to be a very fast and reliable machine (I can't wait to see the Dakar version), but don't forget to check your six :lol:

MA-JesusLovesYou.gif

No big deal. I have been humming the ROCKY theme song for two days now. With a huge smile on my face. :):lol::D You celebrate your wins. Why cant I. :D

No big deal. I have been humming the ROCKY theme song for two days now. With a huge smile on my face. :):D:D You celebrate your wins. Why cant I. :D

:rolleyes::lol::lol: Right on bro! I don't regret it afterall :D

:lol::lol::D Right on bro! I don't regret it afterall :D

Hee Hee! :rolleyes::D:D:):D I know how ya feel, RO.

You just can't resist a little burn. Eh Craig.

Go Red.

I was hoping Honda was going to be unveiling a new XR650R at the 1000 mile race. Either a CRF650X or the possible XR700R. But it looks like neither happened. :rolleyes:

Guest Hammerin Hammon

You just can't resist a little burn. Eh Craig.

Go Red.

I was hoping Honda was going to be unveiling a new XR650R at the 1000 mile race. Either a CRF650X or the possible XR700R. But it looks like neither happened. :lol:

ITs our turn. I had hopes to, but giving KTM a black eye with a 450 is kinda sweet. They used to say we dominated in Baja because it was a wide open fire road race. How do they explain being beat by a 450 :rolleyes: Baja most resembles the type of rideing we have in California. That is why a win in Baja is so important. We now know who is the BIG KID ON THE BLOCK!

We now know who is the BIG KID ON THE BLOCK!

OH YEAH!? Like I said, Congrats to all the Honda guys out there. :rolleyes: But more than that, congrats to all the finishers! I don't care WHAT color your bike is - 1300 miles of Baja is a grueling test. Makes me want to head down there soon :)

Oh, by the way - My Dad can STILL beat-up YOUR dad :lol::lol:

Oh... I SO missed the orange vs. red pissing matches! I'm so glad I'm back!

I...uh... really have nothing to say about Suzuki (my dirt bike AND street bike of choice right now), because what we ride has very little in comparison to these race bikes except color...

Guest Hammerin Hammon

Oh... I SO missed the orange vs. red pissing matches! I'm so glad I'm back!

I...uh... really have nothing to say about Suzuki (my dirt bike AND street bike of choice right now), because what we ride has very little in comparison to these race bikes except color...

We had our fun, :ph34r: now the party is over. I also love the CHARGERS, :D and am happy when they smetimes win. I will try not to be so happy when they win if that bothers you too. :(

Craig.

Hey guys, I got a call from Kevin this morning. I thought you guys might like to here what he wrote about his big adventure. We had a special interest in the outcome of this race for Kevin, Dirtrider 86 did the welding on the roll cage of this race truck. By the sound of it, it did just fine!!! Thank God...Glad no one was hurt worse than they were.

Truck # 876 Baja 1000 Details

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey Guys

I dont even know where to start

First off, HUGE thanks to everyone that has sent emails, text messages and voicemails regarding our crash, very comforting to know that so many of our friends online were there for us!

Most importantly everyone is ok, and we are all back in the states!

A lot of people have been asking who was involved in the crash:

I drove the first 207 miles of the course and did our first driver change @ RM207, Mark Talla (aka TAZ) got in with his dad around 11pm i think.

Around RM214 or so they put the truck on its side trying to avoid a bunch of teenages doing stupid things to the track. Luckily it was a very easy roll and no injuries. The same stupid teenagers helped Mark right the truck, he drove it back to the pit @ RM207 and we fixed it as best as we could!

Brett and Mike got in and planned to drive to El Rosario where we would load it on the trailer and call it quits because of the condition of the truck after marks roll. We wanted everyone involved in the project to get a chance to drive, so this was a joint decision. About 2 hours later is when we got the call! :ph34r:

Of course hearing your guys just drove off of a 1000ft cliff sends everyone into a frenzy, but we had a great group that held it together well and worked as a team to get things done with minimal panic.

Yes, the reports were true, the truck went off of a rocky cliff into a ravine approximately 600-700ft. This was at about 3am early Saturday Morning @ RM 235+/-

We are unsure exactly how it happened but the witnesses in truck # 303 said that they were stuck on the edge of the cliff, we tried to get around them (single track terrain), clipped their bumper, hit a soft spot and cartwheeled down the hill. They estimated the truck rolled end over end a mininum of 15 times and the co-driver of truck # 303 said he vomitted after watching the truck crash thinking he just watched 2 fellow racers die.

People have been asking who was in the truck and their conditions, the driver @ the time of the crash was Brett Garland and the co-driver was Mike Shortt. Both were ok and conscious @ the time, were sharp enough to immediately turn off the fuel pump and batteries and get the hell out. They exited via the hole that used to house a windshield and climbed up the 700+ft hill to truck # 303.

The guys @ truck #303 immediately took control of the situation, assesed the injuries and made the immediate call for a helo to extract Brett due to a severe concussion and complains of side pains, they stayed with him for 3+ hours until sunrise when the helo could land. They were in a fairly gnarly area and the guys did some recon to find a landing spot for the helo and then moved Brett as close as they could. Helos cant fly @ night (during a race) and the accident happened around 3am or so, so they were there for approx 3 hours. As soon as the sun rose, the SCORE helo was there and brought him to San Quintin to prep for transport to the US. Not sure what helo arrived but someone showed up and transported him directly to UCSD Medical Center immediately. The total time of extraction from Crash site to a US hospital was under 4 hours, mighty damn impressive!

Must give a huge thanks to team #303 (not sure of the name) for staying with Brett and Mike all throughout this and taking care of them!

They did a bunch of tests at the hospital, diagnosed it as a moderate concussion and bruised ribs and now he is there for resting, mike is fine and only had a few bruises. We are trying to get pics of the crash, but believe me when i say they are lucky to be alive!

The next step was extracting Mike, since the Helo only took the injured party out. We were @ an access road around RM209 and they were on the course @ RM235 or so. Our support trucks were a big dodge diesel truck, a 2wd tacoma, and my 80. Choice was easy, i was going in. Took us over 5 hours to cover 20 miles of trail that made the rubicon look like candyland. We played it very safe and went super slow since we were now down to one capable recovery rig and would be going deep into no mans land solo.

Once we arrived to the crash site, we almost threw up too, i looked at mike, looked at the truck and could not believe he was standing there looking at me.

The guys from truck #303 were already helping us strip whatever we could off of the truck and helped us hoof it up the cliffside. Again, huge kudos to these guys! We loaded Mike and whatever else we could into my 80 and headed back towards the others. We didnt arrive to them until dusk, and they had been patiently been waiting there ALL day for us!! We swapped stories and decided it was time for a nice steak dinner! Enjoyed a nice dinner, relaxed for a few minutes and headed home to one of the fastest border crossings ever, a whopping 3 minute wait!

As for the race and why these crashes, happened, i am going to say fatigue!

We have been working on this thing around the clock for the last 3 months, worked on it prepping stuff right up until race day morning, and everyone was just plain wiped out.

I did the start and the first 207 miles and did so on adrenaline only (only 3 hours sleep the night before the race), we had a great time, held our own and ran mid pack, but the brand new shocks need some major adjusting after we worked them a little and them got warm @ around RM 50 or so.

When the shocks got cushy, we were restricted to about 25mph or so in the rough stuff and we lost a bunch of time.

We pulled into the BFG pit 1 (currently in 4th place) where they firmed up the compression stroke of the bypasses a few clicks and it made all the difference in the world!

After the shocks were tweaked, We were able make some good time breezing through an uncrowded Mikes Sky Ranch, but the time we lost during the shock softness (around 60 miles restricted to 25mph) got us to our pit quite a bit later then we had hoped it everyone was already getting tired. It is impossible to catch some shut eye when you are waiting to get into a race truck!

When i got out of the truck, i was still all amped up, but after sitting down for 5 mins and drinking some water, i was WIPED and crashed hard, no chance i was driving a chase truck for 200+ miles! Sleep deprivation was immediately apparent!

Want to give another huge thanks to truck # 303, SCORE Medical, and all the other teams that stopped to help.

Well, this was definitely an experience and a 1/2, we are VERY glad everyone is ok!

Thanks again to all that sent prayers and well wishes

Baja Overland

Vehicle Expedition Equipment

www.bajaoverland.com

1993 FZJ80 Land Cruiser

06 Honda XR650L Dual Sport

2007 Baja 1000 Stock Full #876