Hey PirateM, I just read in the UT about a spate (or rash) of armed robberies that have been happening down in Baja recently to Americans, mostly surfers and fishermen, so be extra careful about where you camp if you do any camping at all. Bad guys doing bad things seem to be on the rise.

Concur 100%. There have been some problems. I would strongly urge for hotel stays. Not only is it nice to get cleaned up at the end of the day, but a ton less "stuff" to carry. I'm still assuming the premise of no chase. Hey Zina, Puertecitos is not a place to stay (unless you plan to camp). There are just homes there. Just run the extra 50 miles to Felipe and you will have lots of options. Those darn chupacabras are everywhere, unavoidable. Keep your eyes peeled! :lol:

wsmc99, just curious, but what do you find undesirable about the Old Mill or La Pinta in Catavina? I agree that Alphonsinas would be a dynamite place to stay, but the problem is that it's then only 100 very boring miles to Felipe. If staying there, the next leg would be better going direct to Mike's and bypass Felipe altogether.

The person you read about in the paper today or saw on channel 8 is a very good friend of mine! He has been going to down to BAJA for over 30 years just like me without any issues, besides the speeding ticket you get now and then! Please keep your eyes and ears open and definetly get a tourist card! You probably won't need it but its smart to have it. I have been pulled over taking the North road to scorpion bay, by the military asking for it. It only happened to me once but I was glad we had them.

This is the 4th incident that I know of in the last 4 months and out of 4 incidents 3 of them were my friends. I will not take my family down to N Baja for a while.

My friends girlfriend was more than assaulted in front of him. He was down on all four's with a gun at his head! PLEASE KEEP YOUR GUARD! I'm sorry if I worried you but it best to know what is going on!

Ron

"Outerlimits" Brett has provided me with a pretty good route with some GPS coordinates. In summary, I think we'll end up doing something like this:

Day 1. Tecate to San Quintin

Day 2. San Quintin to Catavina

Day 3. Catavina to Puertecitos

Day 4. Puertecitos to Mike's Sky Ranch or Meling Ranch

Day 5. Back to Tecate

Hello Zina. I don't know who you are, but obviously Tony does. I DO however totally dig your stable!

Glad to know Brett offers the secure feeling of GPS coordinates. Take it from another Brett that I have to agree with Tony concerning the nightly stops.

1) San Quintin evokes no "adventure" in me, but Coyote Cal's Hostile is pretty cool.

http://www.coyotecals.com/

Chris: We were given the total cold shoulder at the Old Mill by the proprietor. She had room but told us to go away ... couldn't figure it out? Stayed next door at Don Eddie's which was a total dump. I like riding on the beach too, but didn't take a liking to San Quintin itself. Zina, if you opt for San Quintin, better get reservations at the Old Mill.

2) A short jaunt South from the hostile finds the dirt to Valle De Trinidad, then another short jaunt South for the dirt into Mike's.

post-123-1195065758_thumb.jpgpost-123-1195065405_thumb.jpgpost-123-1195066040_thumb.jpgpost-123-1195066081_thumb.jpg

3) Staying at Puetecitos would be criminal when Alfonsinas on Gonzaga Bay is some of Baja's best. For only a 5 day trip, this location is like eating desert.

post-123-1195067925_thumb.jpgpost-123-1195066344_thumb.jpgpost-123-1195068283_thumb.jpgpost-123-1195068351_thumb.jpgpost-123-1195068380_thumb.jpg

post-123-1195070036_thumb.jpgpost-123-1195070267_thumb.jpg

4) Back North through Puetecitos into San Filipe.

post-123-1195069988_thumb.jpg

5) Tecate

Chris: We were given the total cold shoulder at the Old Mill by the proprietor. She had room but told us to go away ... couldn't figure it out? Stayed next door at Don Eddie's which was a total dump. I like riding on the beach too, but didn't take a liking to San Quintin itself. Zina, if you opt for San Quintin, better get reservations at the Old Mill.

Exactly. You don't want to count on any of these places w/o reservations and they can still give yours away. If Mike's has a tour group passing through (not likely right now), they will not think twice about giving your room away. I actually had someone show up and take all 3 of my rooms at the Old Mill. He just looked at the guy's book and said that he was me and paid for them right there before my group arrived. When we arrived owner told me that "my group" had already checked in. When I told him that my entire group was standing before him he was kind of like, "ooops". Turned out we only needed two rooms (3 beds in each) and he took care of us and was very apologetic. Good thing 'cause I was ready to go find this supposed "Brett" guy and throw him out of my rooms :lol: . Hey Brett, that wasn't you was it :D ?? Anyway, it all turned out well and it was a great place to stay and very good food--would do it again in a heartbeat. As to San Quintin itself, no it's not wonderful. I call it the dustbowl, just a place to pass through. Really no different than Mike's in that respect. If making the run out to stay at Alfonsina's, starting from San Quintin is a much better leg than from Mike's and then you can hit Mike's on the way back from Alfonsina's as Gonzaga to Felipe is too short, but Mike's back to Tecate is still a decent ride.

They'll be plenty of adventure no matter which way you go, main thing is enjoy the ride ! ;)

Hmmmm, I wonder if we should pack the tent anyway in case we're S.O.L. (reservations or not).

Strange how we decided at the end of October to do this trip and I thought to myself, "That's plenty of time to get ready." Here it is a week before and I'm feeling completely under the gun with preparations. What I've learned is that an aftermarket part that fits without buyer intervention is a delightfully rare part. Lots of quality time spent with the Dremel last night. :rolleyes:

Clark tank owners: Is there some magic to getting this to line up? I wasted plenty of time trying to get it to fit before giving up.

post-1009-1195142541_thumb.jpg

It's coming together. The two big things remaining are changing out the front sprocket (no tools in house for the job) and wiring for the GPS. The days, hours and minutes tick by. Even the dog looks concerned.

post-1009-1195143085_thumb.jpg

All of this is why i ride in the USA. There is alot of great riding in our backyard as to not have to go south of the border.

Clark tank owners: Is there some magic to getting this to line up? I wasted plenty of time trying to get it to fit before giving up.

Put a little more bend in the wire. It should go under the frame. It keeps the tank from flexing and helps hold the front of the tank down. Use it if you can. Good luck. Ken

Put a little more bend in the wire. It should go under the frame. It keeps the tank from flexing and helps hold the front of the tank down. Use it if you can. Good luck. Ken

I did try bending it more but then the eyelet was at the wrong angle. I'll work harder to plier it into alignment.

It's coming together. The two big things remaining are changing out the front sprocket (no tools in house for the job)

I've got the tool to do the sprocket and I'm usually free. Let me know if you need a hand.

It's coming together. The two big things remaining are changing out the front sprocket (no tools in house for the job)

I've got the tool to do the sprocket and I'm usually free. Let me know if you need a hand.

Don't forget to locktite the front sprocket splines (on DRZ's).

The Loctite is supposed to go on the COUNTERSHAFT SPLINES between the sprocket and the shaft. It is the slight rocking back and forth of the sprocket on the shaft that causes the 2nd gear bushing to become deformed and eventually ruined.

This issue isn't a case of the nut coming lose, but the sprocket wallowing back and forth, causing the 2nd gear bushing to change shape, and therefore lessen the clamping force on the sprocket by introducing play in the countershaft.

Clean the splines of both the shaft and sprocket good, I use brake clean. It is best to let it sit overnight to cure. Ken

All of this is why i ride in the USA. There is alot of great riding in our backyard as to not have to go south of the border.

Poin taken, Kevin - but plenty of this prep is useful up here too ... and some experiences you just can't get North of the border

post-123-1195156433_thumb.jpg

Thanks for all the help guys, we're getting there. I have a big question, however. Places like bajabound don't have the option (online anyway) for non-street legal motorcycles. For the three of us with DRZs, no problemo, but the crf250x isn't listed. I see tons of people doing the dual-sport thing down to baja on unplated wrs and crfs and xrs, etc. There must be a way they're doing it--hope hope. Anyone have a work around?

dk (aka John-Mark)

Thanks for all the help guys, we're getting there. I have a big question, however. Places like bajabound don't have the option (online anyway) for non-street legal motorcycles. For the three of us with DRZs, no problemo, but the crf250x isn't listed. I see tons of people doing the dual-sport thing down to baja on unplated wrs and crfs and xrs, etc. There must be a way they're doing it--hope hope. Anyone have a work around?

dk (aka John-Mark)

To the best of my knowledge (which I'll readily admit is limited :ph34r::( ) you don't need no stinkin' plate/sticker in Mexico......it's the Wild West......my friend and I rode all over Tecate area and south/east towards Laguna Hansen/Mikes on two strokes years ago (carrying oil for range)......

I'm packing an extra bag of Doritos for Britt in case we have to leave her on the roadside. Would she mind waiting a few days in one spot? We'll hook up with her on our way back out. Well, if we pass back on the same route.

dk (aka John-Mark)

To the best of my knowledge (which I'll readily admit is limited :ph34r::( ) you don't need no stinkin' plate/sticker in Mexico......it's the Wild West......my friend and I rode all over Tecate area and south/east towards Laguna Hansen/Mikes on two strokes years ago (carrying oil for range)......

Naw, the plate isn't required, but the liability insurance is. That's the part we're trying to figure out.

As for the Doritos, all i can say is...

She does like chips.

Zina & Clayton ... John Mark & Brit. Thanks for joining us last night for beer & pizza. We enjoyed having you guys and chatting about your upcoming trip. Hope it was useful to poor over the map and talk about your options.

I like your tentative plan:

1) Laguna Hanson to Mike's

2) Through Peurtecitos to Gonzaga Bay

3) Day trip to Coco's / check out the campo at Bahia Calamajue'

4) Back through Peurtecitos to San Filipe

5) Home through either Laguna Hanson or the cenic part of 3 north of Ensenda

• If you go to Calamjue', please let us know if it's worth seeing and take some pictures
  • Don't let Alfonsinas put you in crummy rooms if bottom story ocean front is available
  • Some of those good rooms have 2 beds and some have 3 beds

Zina & Clayton ... John Mark & Brit. Thanks for joining us last night for beer & pizza. We enjoyed having you guys and chatting about your upcoming trip. Hope it was useful to poor over the map and talk about your options.

I like your tentative plan:

1) Laguna Hanson to Mike's

2) Through Peurtecitos to Gonzaga Bay

3) Day trip to Coco's / check out the campo at Bahia Calamajue'

4) Back through Peurtecitos to San Filipe

5) Home through either Laguna Hanson or the cenic part of 3 north of Ensenda

• If you go to Calamjue', please let us know if it's worth seeing and take some pictures
  • Don't let Alfonsinas put you in crummy rooms if bottom story ocean front is available
  • Some of those good rooms have 2 beds and some have 3 beds

And we never know what to do with the other two beds in the room... ;-)

Pack your banana suits too. :ph34r: I haven't heard of even one banana being robbed at gunpoint in Mexico.

Pack your banana suits too. :ph34r: I haven't heard of even one banana being robbed at gunpoint in Mexico.

That is true, but bananas are never alone…they always come in a bunch. :D:crazy: :fool: :(

Any of you buy the Baja Expeditioner GPS Map?

http://www.lbmaps.com/baja_exp_.htm

I was wondering if it was worth dropping the $95 on or if we won't get much out of it.

I'm actually lagging on learning how to use the GPS (Garmin 60csx). I ordered an instructional video but it hasn't arrived yet.

go to www.gpsxchange.com share one track and the library is all yours...look me up i'm sjtraina...I have every track you need with fuel stops at pemex station or the hole in the wall places that sell to you my the milk jug. food & lodging too. been using the gps for 4 years now and have been adding to my files for a while.

johnny

go to www.gpsxchange.com share one track and the library is all yours...look me up i'm sjtraina...I have every track you need with fuel stops at pemex station or the hole in the wall places that sell to you my the milk jug. food & lodging too. been using the gps for 4 years now and have been adding to my files for a while.

johnny

The "share one track" is a barrier to entry for me at the moment. My triumph is turning it on and off and going to different menus. I think I did start tracking something, as there's a map with squiggles all over one area like a bad Etch-a-Sketch. At least I have the wiring done so it's officially bike-powered while I stare at it blankly. :big_boss:

In the never-ending process of getting ready, I'm at the ex's shop waiting for him to show up so he can tell me the right chain to use. The current chain is too short to accommodate the stock 15t sprocket. Pffft.

One DRZ400S and one DRZ400E ready to go. (I put the sprocket cover on after the pic.) I'm using a Ventura Pack on my bike, except instead of sitting upright, it's laying on its back. I also have an old Chase Harper saddlebag on the seat. Clayton is going to use a fender bag, a number plate bag, and a tail bag, none of which are too big. He's bald -- he doesn't need to carry the massive hair maintenance kit that I do. Speaking of bald, he's cut the top of his head twice while working on his bike; the handlebar lays in wait for him to stand.

post-1009-1195448958_thumb.jpg post-1009-1195448983_thumb.jpg

Since my seat is cut down so I can touch the ground, I put a sheepskin pad on it so I can survive five days. That and the old school bathtub stickers on the tank makes the bike look like grandma's barcalounger, and I'm hoping that this is a natural repellent for thieves. At least macho ones.

On the practical side,the tank flowers will probably make for good knee traction when you need to hang on in rough sections....as long as the backing glue will hold up, that is. :big_boss:

Howdy all,

I'm planning a baja trip with some friends for the week of Thanksgiving. It's our way of avoiding relatives and the traditional Lions game on Thanksgiving day (doesn't matter if they're doing ok so far...they're still the Lions!).

Goal: Five-day trip, about 150 - 200 miles per day.

Crew: Two men, two women -- all intermediate riders. Two DRZ400Ss, one DRZ400E and one Honda CRF250X. One is an excellent wrench, one speaks Spanish (yo). None have multi-day adventure touring experience (you have to start somewhere!).

Places we know we want to hit:

Mike's Sky Ranch

San Pedro Mártir Observatory

Puertocitos to Coco's Corner

Mission San Ignacio

San Ignacio is the farthest south we'll probably get to. Not sure if that's optomistic -- depends on what roads we take. Of course the less pavement the better.

I plan to buy a Garmin 60 CSx and the Baja Navigator GPS map (http://www.lbmaps.com/lb_baja.htm).

Bikes are being prepped. I've ordered a rear rack, radiator guards, case guards, Clark 3.9 gallon natural tank. These are all things I've been meaning to buy, regardless of this trip. Now I'm just being forced to spend the money all at once.

So, if anyone has any advice, please post. I traveled in Mexico for a year about a decade ago so I'm prepared to deal with mordidas, cheating Pemex workers, sketchy food, etc. It's the route selection and minimum packing requirements that I'm most concerned about.

I've checked advriders.com and various web sites on baja trips and I've got some info from those stories, but would like to hear from some of you experienced baja folks.

Thanks in advance,

Zina

Howdy all,

I'm planning a baja trip with some friends for the week of Thanksgiving. It's our way of avoiding relatives and the traditional Lions game on Thanksgiving day (doesn't matter if they're doing ok so far...they're still the Lions!).

Goal: Five-day trip, about 150 - 200 miles per day.

Crew: Two men, two women -- all intermediate riders. Two DRZ400Ss, one DRZ400E and one Honda CRF250X. One is an excellent wrench, one speaks Spanish (yo). None have multi-day adventure touring experience (you have to start somewhere!).

Places we know we want to hit:

Mike's Sky Ranch

San Pedro Mártir Observatory

Puertocitos to Coco's Corner

Mission San Ignacio

San Ignacio is the farthest south we'll probably get to. Not sure if that's optomistic -- depends on what roads we take. Of course the less pavement the better.

I plan to buy a Garmin 60 CSx and the Baja Navigator GPS map (http://www.lbmaps.com/lb_baja.htm).

Bikes are being prepped. I've ordered a rear rack, radiator guards, case guards, Clark 3.9 gallon natural tank. These are all things I've been meaning to buy, regardless of this trip. Now I'm just being forced to spend the money all at once.

So, if anyone has any advice, please post. I traveled in Mexico for a year about a decade ago so I'm prepared to deal with mordidas, cheating Pemex workers, sketchy food, etc. It's the route selection and minimum packing requirements that I'm most concerned about.

I've checked advriders.com and various web sites on baja trips and I've got some info from those stories, but would like to hear from some of you experienced baja folks.

Thanks in advance,

Zina