Sign in to follow this  
dirt dame

Superstition 11/03/07

It seems people can't get enough of Superstition. Admittedly, right now there isn't much else left open to ride on. It's desert or nuthin' these days. Originally I was going to go to a day at the track, but when those plans fell through, I decided to hit the dez with Spaugh and company. I wanted to ride my MX bike out there, but didn't have the mandatory spark arrestor on it yet, so out came the mighty TE 450, ruler of its domain on our last desert ride from the Blu Inn at Ocotillo Wells.

We all met at our appointed spot on time and found Spaughs friends campsite. There was Spaugh, Papaalex, KLRoger, Spaughs friend Bryan, and me.

KL had a brand new TE 610 to try out, luckily it was still pretty brand new after the ride also, since he did not waste any time trying to teach it to stand on it's head or anything like that. :D

We decided to take a loop around Superstition in a clockwise fashion, taking a sand road to the western most end and following the whooped out road on the backside around to the dunes with a few side adventures here and there. We stopped at one big dune while Spaugh and Papaalex tested their machines climbing abilities, KL practiced some sand parking, I managed to shear my righthand mirror off on a bush when I passed a little too close and we (well, mostly me) got split up in the dunes on the way back to the trucks. other than that, there were no misadventures or injuries.

Everybody gathered in the shade of my jeep afterwards, while Spaugh grilled some sausages and buns for those who were ravenous after the ride. I was beat. For some reason I was alot more tired than when I went on the 145 miler through the desert a few weeks ago and we only did about thirty miles this time. Sure, it was hot, but it was hot last time out, too. Maybe it was the amount of deep sand and rocky whoopdedoos or maybe I am just out of shape from not riding enough during the fire crisis, or maybe both.

Anyway, I was properly thrashed :D

Thanks to Spaugh for posting the ride and all who went and were great company.

pix to follow as soon as I decide to get off my lazy duff and post them :D

well we made it back in one piece. Bryan and I did another couple hours of riding after you guys took off and again this morning. I went down to the smooth lake bed and tested my nerves. Got the KTM in 6th gear going 70MPH. And we hit the doons some more. Cutting from one side of the mountain to the other through the doons is not bad. Had a great time and got to hang with people fromt he 4x4 forum and SD DS people. Pics to come when I get cleaned up and settled down.

We saw a guy on a quad running from the ranger with lights going an all at about 10PM last night. Im guessing he had been drinking and didn't want to stop. Anyway, he was hualin ass and ditched em in the doons. Was interesting...

And Dirt Dame, the ride got me really sore too. Its the terrain.

My Christmas list: A lightweight 2 smoker with a paddle tire.

Okay, here are a few pix from our adventure, mostly dealing with stuck TE 610s and bbq'd sausages.

post-892-1194236605.jpg?width=1920&heigh
post-892-1194232673.jpg?width=1920&heigh
post-892-1194232598.jpg?width=1920&heigh
post-892-1194232557.jpg?width=1920&heigh

post-892-1194232557_thumb.jpg

post-892-1194232598_thumb.jpg

post-892-1194232673_thumb.jpg

Stuck TE610s? I thought it was just parked Pyro style. :D

those photos are too funny. I have a confused look in the first one. :D Alex looks slightly entertained.

Here is a photo of me cruising the dunes with my 4x4 buddies.

IMG_1880.jpg

Another shot of the TE who is too powerful for its own good. :D

IMG_1873.jpg

It's sandparked. Pyro has his parked in another variation known as stinkymudparked. :D

It's sandparked. Pyro has his parked in another variation known as stinkymudparked. :D

Roger is sticking with "it was quicksand I swear"

And yes, I agree that Papaalex appears to be amused with the whole situation. :D:D:D:D Bryan , on the other hand....not so much :P

post-892-1194236605_thumb.jpg

Roger that looks like a nice bike. I would recommend that you get a good large skid plate, and barkbuster/handguards ASAP. It only takes one time going down and major bad things can happen.

Sweet looking bike. Did they rejet that 650 at the dealer? The pipe looks pretty blue, I would check to see if it is running lean. Ken

Did they rejet that 650 at the dealer? The pipe looks pretty blue, I would check to see if it is running lean. Ken

We (Spaugh and I) had to restart it after a dumping in the sand. Really tough and the motor turns over slower than the 450. It is too lean and still has all the smog stuff on it. It also will stall sometimes at idle.

hey dirt dame, I might have to try your 2 stroke some time. I felt my bike was a little clunky for the heavy sand. I saw lots of little sand rats zooming by me on their little 2 smokers. I'm interested in getting one maybe after tax return.

Rogers pipe has a cover on it which you are seeing. The bike was idling too slow and would stall too easy. I'd ditch the smog stuff and rejet asap. The motor was definetly starved for fuel.

hey dirt dame, I might have to try your 2 stroke some time. I felt my bike was a little clunky for the heavy sand. I saw lots of little sand rats zooming by me on their little 2 smokers. I'm interested in getting one maybe after tax return.

They are fun little taterchips in the sand! I got my brand new 2006 KX 250 really cheap, but you will have to hurry to get a cheap new non-current 2-stroke (unless you get a used one), because nobody is making them except KTM and maybe for their last production year, Yamaha. I'm sure one of my two stroke machines will turn up where you are on a ride some time and if you ride one in sand, the soft suspension I've got them dialed in with won't even bother you. :D

They are fun little taterchips in the sand! I got my brand new 2006 KX 250 really cheap, but you will have to hurry to get a cheap new non-current 2-stroke (unless you get a used one), because nobody is making them except KTM and maybe for their last production year, Yamaha. I'm sure one of my two stroke machines will turn up where you are on a ride some time and if you ride one in sand, the soft suspension I've got them dialed in with won't even bother you. :D

ya, i'm not getting another KTM, at least not a newer one like the exc. I'll spring for a used one that I can thrash on trips like this weekend. My air box was more like a sand box and my filter looks totally caked after 100 miles of riding. Scary what kind of damage that could do if it got by the filter.

Yes! You have master the art of pyro_parking! That's one bad ass moto Roger ! Wow I'm jealous dude !!!