boat440

Last Chance For The Mojave Ride Next Weekend

Ok, here is my last post for this ride. All are welcome. The sand miles are minimal, mostly hard-pack. Adventure bikes are ok.

The ride will contain beautiful wide-open expansive vistas, we will meander thru Afton Canyon including towering 300ft canyon walls, encounter miles of winding single-track, witness scenic overviews of the high-desert floor, observe natural-state manzanita, cactus and palm trees all framed in a background mountain view of the Cima Mountain range.

Here is the latest Mojave ride:

We will start in Barstow at the Stage/Chevron location. You will be responsible for getting to Barstow by 8:00 AM Saturday, 10/6. We will have a quick riders meeting/introductions, buddy pairings, GPS download (Garmin .gdb type) & then suit-up and be off by 8:30.

It will be a long (200+) mile day, so we need to start on-time.

The start is the Lenwood exit off I-15 just outside of Barstow. There are a lot of outlet stores at this exit. We will then proceed to the Arco Gas waypoint (in Baker) using either the aqua or green tracks. This is 80.6 (short) or 92.2 (long) miles.

We will have to make a group decision which route to choose:

A. The longest route has 2 gas stops, gets into higher terrain and passes thru Ivanpah, Lanfair and the California/Nevada Air Force base. It is 153.1 miles and is the blue route. Choosing this route the total riding day mileage will be 245.1

B. The medium length route is 124.2 miles and passes thru "The-Hole-In The Wall" and the Mojave National Preserve and is the red route. You will need at least 135 mile gas range. Choosing this route the total riding day mileage will be 226.3

C. The shortest length route is 103 miles and passes thru Fort Mojave and the Mojave National Preserve and is the aqua route. Choosing this route the total riding day mileage will be 195.1

All 3 routes end in Needles. From there is another 11.5 miles (purple route) to the Tropicana Hotel, for an overnight stay. I picked the Tropicana, but feel free to choose your own accomodations. Unfortunately these are road miles (sorry about that) passing thru lower Needles to the river where the Tropicana is located.

You can make your reservation at ( http://www.tropicanax.com ) for the Tropicana.

For the return trip we will use (the southern) yellow route. It is 101.2 miles to gas/lunch, then an additional 95.1 miles back to Lenwood. Generally the southern portion of the terrain is easier, which is good, you will be sore & tired but happy :) . Also route 40 can be your-bail-out point.

So join myself on a fun, non-aggressive ride, Steve...

post-2031-1191030339_thumb.jpg

Ok, here is my last post for this ride. All are welcome. The sand miles are minimal, mostly hard-pack. Adventure bikes are ok.

Sounds like a good primer for the LA-B-V ride since it's an all day deal with significant miles (regardless of option)........ but I think I'm gonna be busy getting the toybox/bikes ready for Glamis the following weekend.....

Catch ya on another one.....

The ride will contain beautiful wide-open expansive vistas, we will meander thru Afton Canyon including towering 300ft canyon walls, encounter miles of winding single-track, witness scenic overviews of the high-desert floor, observe natural-state manzanita, cactus and palm trees all framed in a background mountain view of the Cima Mountain range.

Here is the latest Mojave ride:

We will start in Barstow at the Stage/Chevron location. You will be responsible for getting to Barstow by 8:00 AM Saturday, 10/6. We will have a quick riders meeting/introductions, buddy pairings, GPS download (Garmin .gdb type) & then suit-up and be off by 8:30.

It will be a long (200+) mile day, so we need to start on-time.

The start is the Lenwood exit off I-15 just outside of Barstow. There are a lot of outlet stores at this exit. We will then proceed to the Arco Gas waypoint (in Baker) using either the aqua or green tracks. This is 80.6 (short) or 92.2 (long) miles.

We will have to make a group decision which route to choose:

A. The longest route has 2 gas stops, gets into higher terrain and passes thru Ivanpah, Lanfair and the California/Nevada Air Force base. It is 153.1 miles and is the blue route. Choosing this route the total riding day mileage will be 245.1

B. The medium length route is 124.2 miles and passes thru "The-Hole-In The Wall" and the Mojave National Preserve and is the red route. You will need at least 135 mile gas range. Choosing this route the total riding day mileage will be 226.3

C. The shortest length route is 103 miles and passes thru Fort Mojave and the Mojave National Preserve and is the aqua route. Choosing this route the total riding day mileage will be 195.1

All 3 routes end in Needles. From there is another 11.5 miles (purple route) to the Tropicana Hotel, for an overnight stay. I picked the Tropicana, but feel free to choose your own accomodations. Unfortunately these are road miles (sorry about that) passing thru lower Needles to the river where the Tropicana is located.

You can make your reservation at ( http://www.tropicanax.com ) for the Tropicana.

For the return trip we will use (the southern) yellow route. It is 101.2 miles to gas/lunch, then an additional 95.1 miles back to Lenwood. Generally the southern portion of the terrain is easier, which is good, you will be sore & tired but happy :ph34r: . Also route 40 can be your-bail-out point.

Have you decided between A, B, C routes? Just curious......I'll be interested to read the ride write-up.......

Man, I'd like to go but I can't get away for an entire weekend (chores/Glamis Prep for following weekend)......

FYI to all others.......I'll be out in Glamis (Wash 9/10) next Friday-Sunday (Oct 11-14) if anyone wants to get some SERIOUS sand practice ;) Blue Dodge Ram 2500, license plate "CRAWDDY", pulling white Layton Rampage Toybox with green stripe....

Can't say that the ride doesn't sound wonderful because it does sound wonderful. I would love to go, but it's a long drive to Barstow after working the night before and a long drive back and then going to work in the morning. It's just too long a day. Or is it two days? In which case I couldn't go anyway. Hope you have lots of fun and post a report with pretty pictures for those us us who didn't get to see the ride firsthand :ph34r:

Ms. Dirt Dame, it is a 2 day trip. Do you need a ride? My one ton pickup should be able to handle both bikes. :ph34r: If not, I have a car trailer that will. :D Come on out! ;)

Roger

Ms. Dirt Dame, it is a 2 day trip. Do you need a ride? My one ton pickup should be able to handle both bikes. :dance: If not, I have a car trailer that will. :D Come on out! ;)

Roger

Mr. KL, my post stated I gotz too much werkz to do. I don't need a ride; I need a different line of work, other than retail, like maybe being a millionaire, but I don't see any job postings for that position :ph34r::crazy::D . My bosses frown on 24 hour weekend flu, especially for their managers :ph34r: My bosses usually frown on me anyway :party:

Dirt dame,

I have a truck and trailer but no extra jobs, sorry. We must have the same bosses ;) . I’ll keep my eyes out for 2 millionaire jobs. (I want one too) :ph34r: . I’ll let you know if I find them.

I really would like to ride with you. I think I could learn a lot. See you on the next ride maybe?

Roger

Dirt dame,

I have a truck and trailer but no extra jobs, sorry. We must have the same bosses :D . I’ll keep my eyes out for 2 millionaire jobs. (I want one too) :ph34r: . I’ll let you know if I find them.

I really would like to ride with you. I think I could learn a lot. See you on the next ride maybe?

Roger

Love to ride with you. Right now I am off to learn what kind of damage I can do to myself on a minibike at an MX park. Film at eleven ;)

boat440-

I would like to join you guys on the trip, but i just want to make sure i am prepared. I am very new to the sport and I also have very little gear. With that being said i have a couple of questions...

Would you go if you were me?

How many other people are going?

I will basically be bringing myself and my bike... Do i need to go out and buy spare tubes, patches, pumps..etc...?

I ride a DRZ400s and with KLRoger's help i think i have my gas tank capacity problem worked out... are there any other bike related issues i should consider?

thanks in advance,

boat440-

I would like to join you guys on the trip, but i just want to make sure i am prepared. I am very new to the sport and I also have very little gear. With that being said i have a couple of questions...

I will basically be bringing myself and my bike... Do i need to go out and buy spare tubes, patches, pumps..etc...?

I ride a DRZ400s and with KLRoger's help i think i have my gas tank capacity problem worked out... are there any other bike related issues i should consider?

thanks in advance,

Jlsche,

I also have a DRZ and between myself & KLRoger you do not have to get tools for this ride.

At a minimum you need to bring the following:

Camelback or some other drink system(It will be in the mid-80's)

Overnight clothes

Spare tubes (carry both front/rear)

Emergency space blanket/bag

Flashlight

Matches

Power Bars

What tires? The stock Trail Wings are horrible on most dirt surfaces. My recommendation are the D606. Not a requirement, but will make the ride more enjoyable.

Do you have hand guards? There are Manzanita trees that you may graze with 2" needles protruding, best to have them for protection. Again not a requirement, more of a safety precaution.

I've running a desert gas tank, 4.2 gals. You're stock tank is 2.6 gals. Do you have a 100 mi range with your bike? Bring a small gas line hose to transfer gas from mine or Roger's tank.

Remove your stock mirrors as they are no use and you will only damage them in a fall. There are lot's of hop-up's for the DRZ-S. Try Thumper-Talk.

I attached a more detailed list (In Excel) that I use for gear/bike preparation. I carry most of this, use as a reference for some of the things you might need. You will need to change the file extension from .txt to .xls and then open with M/S Excel.

Let me know if your interested, Steve...

Long_Ride_Prep_WR_DRZ.txt

Can't say that the ride doesn't sound wonderful because it does sound wonderful. I would love to go, but it's a long drive to Barstow after working the night before and a long drive back and then going to work in the morning. It's just too long a day. Or is it two days? In which case I couldn't go anyway. Hope you have lots of fun and post a report with pretty pictures for those us us who didn't get to see the ride firsthand :ph34r:

DD,

Sorry you can't make it. It's a 2-day ride over 400 miles. Easy riding, but long. The plan is to go thru Afton Canyon, the Hole-In-The Wall and other "Kodak" moments. Will take lots of pictures.

Mark your calendar for 11/10-11/11. The plan is to ride Death Valley. Very interesting/scenic ride. At the highest elevations we will probably have snow. Snowball fights!!! It's another 2-day ride, so will have to leave the night before for a 8:00AM start. I'll be posting on that. Maybe we can set-up some carpools.

Let's ride together, Steve...

boat440-

thanks in advance,

If you have a factory carb, I would bet that you will not hit reserve under 110 miles for the type of riding you will be doing. What city are you in? If you are close I could lend you some stuff for the trip. Ken

boat440-

thanks in advance,

If anybody doesn’t yet have a camel back type water carrier; Cycle Parts West (3104 El Cajon Blvd, San Diego – North Park just west of 805 on El Cajon) has a sale starting Friday 10-05-07 through 10-28-07.

One of the items on sale is “the tank hydration pack” for $14.99.

www.cyclepartswest.com/productinfo_item_545-dc_530.htm

This holds water and has room for other stuff.

They also have “the droplet hydration pack” on sale for $9.99 which just holds water. http://www.cyclepartswest.com/productinfo_..._546-dc_530.htm.

I don’t know how good these products are…but the price seems right. :ph34r:

Roger

boat440-

thanks in advance,

I have an extra pair of knee pads that you can use if your intrested or any one else.