HVYWT

Rally Bikes

I wonder the same thing. Seems like more of a hassle. Especially in mud.

Dakar bikes do not have low fenders....are you talking about Starbucks sponsored rally bikes? biggrin.gif

Guesses-

Low fender more aerodynamic at high speeds, allows more air flow to radiator/engine, and keeps more rocks from flying up off the tire into the air (where it could hit you at 100 mph)

All guessing- you're right aboutmud caking in there though

Dakar bikes do not have low fenders....are you talking about Starbucks sponsored rally bikes? biggrin.gif

Traditionally, I think the big engined bikes ran low fenders....when they went to the 450s, they were all modified gncc or moto bikes, so ran the fenders that were intended for that purpose

NOW- if we're talking coffee shop posers, it's what the "golden age" rally bikes had...in other words; it's a style

My favorite is the bikes that seem to have both

Guesses-

Low fender more aerodynamic at high speeds, allows more air flow to radiator/engine, and keeps more rocks from flying up off the tire into the air (where it could hit you at 100 mph)

I think you are right on , because my fender at 100 mph does some weird stuff, and rocks are always flying in front and up.

But I thought the mud thing was the tire would keep some what thinner build up and lighter.

Makes sense about keeping mud off radiator/motor.

Wait a minute they are in sand <_<

Guesses-

I think you are right on , because my fender at 100 mph does some weird stuff, and rocks are always flying in front and up.

Wait a minute they are in sand <_</>

Right...not as much mud as in the Southeast USA or certain places in ABDSP

This question was asked over on ADVrider some time ago- I'm too lazy to search it up. My parents were right, I'm too lazy and I'll never amount to anything in this world. But I digress.

Apparently they DO run low fenders in rallys. AND they run high fenders, too. Pictures were shown in the thread of riders running either at different points in the races, apparently the fenders are changed as conditions merit, and as most of the images we see are shot under dry conditions, hauling azz through the sand, I suspect that alters our perception. No images were posted of racers using both at the same time, however.

The low fender works much better as a fender- less crap tossed up from the road, radiator protection, windage, etc. But there is so little clearance for mud and debris that I switched over and have no desire to swap back and forth.

I'm going to get a fender and mount it right in the middle. I mean duh????? :blink:

This question was asked over on ADVrider some time ago- I'm too lazy to search it up. My parents were right, I'm too lazy and I'll never amount to anything in this world. But I digress.

Apparently they DO run low fenders in rallys. AND they run high fenders, too. Pictures were shown in the thread of riders running either at different points in the races, apparently the fenders are changed as conditions merit, and as most of the images we see are shot under dry conditions, hauling azz through the sand, I suspect that alters our perception. No images were posted of racers using both at the same time, however.

The low fender works much better as a fender- less crap tossed up from the road, radiator protection, windage, etc. But there is so little clearance for mud and debris that I switched over and have no desire to swap back and forth.

This.

Most rally bikes run both high and low fenders, depending on what they anticipate on the day's stage. The low fenders are more stable at high speeds, the high fenders are better when there might be mud or deep fesh fesh. I have both for my 625 but I'll probably never run the low fender. I'll also probably never enter a rally either. :blush: