Sign in to follow this  
Goofy Footer

Cyclops Solstice Light - Anybody Use One?

Has anybody owned or used a Cyclops Solstice HID Helmet Light? I'm curious as to your impressions of the light. If possible I would love to check it out.

Thanks in advance if anybody has some info/reviews for the Solstice.

solstice%20full%20helmet_121.jpg

I have one and love it. Extremely bright and lasts quite a long time on two batteries twinned together

This doesn't really answer your question, but go LED and save yourself 1500%. I just used this last night riding in the bush and it worked great! The mounting isn't as clean as the $350 model but with the savings difference zip ties work just fine for me.

http://www.amazon.co...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

post-3850-080676700 1378778107_thumb.jpg

Has anybody owned or used a Cyclops Solstice HID Helmet Light? I'm curious as to your impressions of the light. If possible I would love to check it out.

Thanks in advance if anybody has some info/reviews for the Solstice.

solstice%20full%20helmet_121.jpg

Never used one or even seen one, but looks cool..

I have one and love it. Extremely bright and lasts quite a long time on two batteries twinned together

Awesome. Any chance you could post a few pics? How far does it throw light? I would hard-wire mine initially.

I would love to see that thing in person. If I recall, you like cold Guinness beer :coolio:/>

This doesn't really answer your question, but go LED and save yourself 1500%. I just used this last night riding in the bush and it worked great! The mounting isn't as clean as the $350 model but with the savings difference zip ties work just fine for me.

http://www.amazon.co...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

What's up Sneeker - ha, the Amazon Cree lights are another debate! I'll bite though as I have some experience with them. At the $25 price point, nothing matches their performance and they do throw the most light per dollar that I've seen. The amount of light the little headlamp throws is impressive (to me) but the quality is hit or miss. I bought one for my beach cruiser and was so impressed, I bought another. My friend calls it a light cannon and it's phenomenal around town or while hiking. Most of the negative Amazon reviews on them are focused on the batteries not lasting. Different batteries can be had for cheap or you can run better Magicshine batteries.

The main problem I had with ordering the lights however is that you don't know what you're going to get. When I bought my 2nd light to put on another beach cruiser, I ordered the same exact one from Amazon (it was from a different seller, I could never find the original seller). Turns out they sold me a different light! And, it sucked! The first one was a 3 mode light, but way brighter and better build quality, better cables etc. The 2nd light looked the exact same but was a 4 mode light yet cheaper quality, poorer cable connections and not as bright. I was pretty let down.

I've read that it "should" be possible to run these lights from a motorcycle battery. Granted it's 12 volts vs. 9.6v but some say it could be done. Considering the batteries are their weakest point, running from motorcycle power would both eliminate that and also give me unlimited light! Well, my first light plugged in and worked (I didn't run it long to test it). My second light instantly blew out when I connected it - poof! It's dead. Btw the chargers and batteries between my 2 lights are not compatible so I had $25 down the drain. Again, pretty let down on that bike. Would I try another? Maybe, but I just picked up a Baja Designs Stryker helmet light (battery pack only) used for $100 and I know it will outlast the amazon lights. The Baja Designs SL kit is on sale for $200 right now. If I could run the Baja Designs mountain bike helmet lights off my motorcycle battery I would be so stoked but it's not possible.

For me, I want a helmet light that can run off the motorcycle's power so I can use it all night And use it for multi day trips. I would prefer one that can run off the bike And have a battery option so I could use it on a mountain bike or use it on an MX bike. The chinese magicshine knockoffs are cheap and can work Great if you're using a battery pack but for a multi-day baja trip, I personally won't depend on them. As a back up light, mountain bike light, once in a while light, they are great. I'm willing to pay for the reliability which comes with Baja Designs or Cyclops lights. The Cyclops isn't cheap but the hardwire version (batteries can be added at any time) is $250 plus forum discounts. Not cheap but some guys run them as their only light so it must be intense! Since I've tested some of the lower price point lights, I'm looking to test and experiment with the primo lights before making a final decision.

(all of this is IMHO)

Awesome. Any chance you could post a few pics? How far does it throw light? I would hard-wire mine initially.

I would love to see that thing in person. If I recall, you like cold Guinness beer :coolio:/>/>/>

A wire can be ordered to run it off bike power which I have as well, it works great either way. It lights up the night like no other and throws light a long way. You are not going to outrun the lighting at all. I'll take some pics tomorrow night and get them posted up.

Anytime you want to check it out let me know, I'm around.

A wire can be ordered to run it off bike power which I have as well, it works great either way. It lights up the night like no other and throws light a long way. You are not going to outrun the lighting at all. I'll take some pics tomorrow night and get them posted up.

Anytime you want to check it out let me know, I'm around.

That sounds awesome. I'll PM you soon to check your availability. Thanks.

I bought the one at that Amazon link - with the wide angle lens. Purdy crazy bright. Middle son is mounting it to his helmet. I may get one too; my DR headlight is sort of pathetic.

I bought the one at that Amazon link - with the wide angle lens. Purdy crazy bright. Middle son is mounting it to his helmet. I may get one too; my DR headlight is sort of pathetic.

They are indeed quite impressive, even more so considering the cost. My Amazon light actually equals the output of my Baja Designs Strykr which surprised me.