tntmo

KTM top end rebuild for Axel

I bought a 2000 YZ250 recently.

$800 and I ran it down the street and it shifted and ran.

I have in the past always looked for bikes that are very lightly ridden and this was not.

So far I have installed,

Piston kit

Cylinder

Power Valve

Stator

Clutch cable hoping the clutch is sound.

Crank seals & due to this, suspecting the crank bearings.

Lot of money and it ran fine initially until I got home and wound it out and it all went sour from there.

So now it is $1800 and climbing.

Was it the right call ???

1377011534[/url]' post='157307']

I bought a 2000 YZ250 recently.

$800 and I ran it down the street and it shifted and ran.

I have in the past always looked for bikes that are very lightly ridden and this was not.

So far I have installed,

Piston kit

Cylinder

Power Valve

Stator

Clutch cable hoping the clutch is sound.

Crank seals & due to this, suspecting the crank bearings.

Lot of money and it ran fine initially until I got home and wound it out and it all went sour from there.

So now it is $1800 and climbing.

Was it the right call ???

I'm smart! Not like everybody says!

A friend of mine just last week asked me to rebuild a 1999 YZ250. Needed a new crank and complete top end. I priced it out and it was $1,000 on the very low end, but probably closer to $1500 after he fixed some of the other issues. He had 2 other Yz's for his sons, so it's now a parts bike. If it was in better condition overall, it may have been a different decision.

But for a KTM RFS? If it just needs the cylinder machined, a new piston/rings and a valve refresh, it might be worth it. Personally I would take the money and put it towards a newer bike if it's in his budget and part out what he can. I parted out a 1996 XR600 for about $1200. I sold things very cheap (a lot of parts went to SDAR members) to make it a quick process. I'm sure he can get more for all the KTM parts. Something to consider.

Good luck!

He's currently beyond "punt"...he either fixes it correctly (what he's doing) or parts it out and loses money.

He should, by all accounts, have a well functioning bike when he's all done

He's currently beyond "punt"...he either fixes it correctly (what he's doing) or parts it out and loses money.

He should, by all accounts, have a well functioning bike when he's all done

Sometimes punting it is about losing money. If it were my bike, I'd have to think about it a good long time before I decided. Anyway, fixing it should yield a good bike for Axel. It was a fun bike at the track, much better than my Husky for that job.

Here's the start to a new life for this Katoom.

9585371967_b1a8a21410.jpg

Untitled by tntmo2, on Flickr

9588165176_09e28310af.jpg

Under the valve cover it looks good.

9590674239_d63f1c6f85.jpg

The spark plug shows some signs of oil burning?

9590679381_18f3f471b1.jpg

And maybe the exhaust ports?

9593480348_8eb1447a04.jpg

Austria....G'day mate!

9590694935_6646f3062a.jpg

The valves also show the oil consumption.

9593528062_5b9b35182e.jpg

Oil on top of the piston.

9593505394_3b6b4c4505.jpg

Scuffing on the piston skirt, I have seen worse.

9593513452_17f26cb8d2.jpg

There are some nicks, pits and scratches in the cylinder. Time to get it replated or replaced. I'm not sure if they will show up on the picture

9590725911_99340e4fd1.jpg

Just my hack garage mechanic opinion, but I'm thinking piston kit, cylinder and head refresh. The con rod has some side to side play that has me concerned. If I can figure out how to post a video, maybe some of the less hack mechanics here could give me an opinion?

Austria....G'day mate!

I'm thinkin' Australia, but I'm a hack colloquialism guy... party.gif

Looks like good calls based on my limited knowledge. I think there should be tolerance measurements on the crank.

Austria....G'day mate!

I'm thinkin' Australia, but I'm a hack colloquialism guy... party.gif

Just a movie reference, guess it flew right by you.

If I can figure out how to post a video, maybe some of the less hack mechanics here could give me an opinion?

My understanding is the side play is no big deal, and normal.

If, as on my motor a few years ago, there is up-down slop, that'd be a no-go. coolio.gif

Just a movie reference, guess it flew right by you.

Absolutely. I'm not sure what I had for breakfast. Movie quote....even if I saw it....never stick.. laugh.gif

I made the drive up to San Juan Capistrano today to meet up with Bob Hulka (CAflash) from KTMtalk.com. First he took care of the cylinder head, cut the valve seats and installed some nice KibbleWhite valves. Everything on the head was in good shape, we put it back together and Bob even removed a broken bolt. He put together a new cylinder and piston along with a KTM gasket kit and sent me out the door at a very reasonable price.

Highly recommend Bob if you need anything KTM related.

PMB, he told me to say hi to you!

9590679381_18f3f471b1.jpg

"Some signs of oil burning." party.gif

Good stuff, thanks for the info. - Bob Hulka

I made the drive up to San Juan Capistrano today to meet up with Bob Hulka (CAflash) from KTMtalk.com. First he took care of the cylinder head, cut the valve seats and installed some nice KibbleWhite valves. Everything on the head was in good shape, we put it back together and Bob even removed a broken bolt. He put together a new cylinder and piston along with a KTM gasket kit and sent me out the door at a very reasonable price.

Highly recommend Bob if you need anything KTM related.

PMB, he told me to say hi to you!

Great to hear! I just finished rebuilding my 09 that Bob helped me with. Started it tonight for the first time. Couldn't be happier!

Axel is excited to use his new weapon to humiliate me in the dirt...so...don't put it together correctly or something

Tntmo,

I am curious as to your technique for cleaning the mating surfaces. Is grit on glass, or what??

unsure.gif

Tntmo,

I am curious as to your technique for cleaning the mating surfaces. Is grit on glass, or what??

unsure.gif

If you're talking about the head and cylinder, Bob Hulka used a wire wheel on a bench grinder. I usually use a wire brush.

Well, it runs! Almost done, need to change out the rear wheel bearings and install the chain. Got a fuel leak on the carb, hopefully I have an o-ring or that will be holding up the bike.

9845410245_3e24d86066.jpg