Name is Ryan, 26 years old, moved to SD about 4-5 months ago. I just picked up a DR650 (from this site) for weekday commuting and weekend fun. I am pretty new to dirt but I have owned and ridden several road oriented motorcycles in the past. I look forward to meeting many of you in the future.

PS anu suggestions of routes/rides for a novice dirt rider to get his feet wet ASAP?

Welcome aboard! Some of us know the bike you got and it was built up with all the good stuff for the DR. Mine is almost identical. If you ever have maintenance questions or need specialty tools for it, glad to help.

I don't know what part of SD you're in so I'll just throw some out there.

Sloane Canyon Rd is a 5 mile out & back. It looks like you could go forever but there are gates so it's an out & back. Well groomed dirt.

Otay Mtn Truck Trail Pretty mild dirt road but some good drops into canyons so be used to the bike a little.

Nate Harrison Grade

http://dualsportmaps.com/?link=109751

It looks like you got a great bike to get started on, that thing is nicely set up. Keep your eye on the local rides section here, this group does plenty of easy/fun/noob rides to get riders out there together having fun. Ride at your own pace, there will always be someone to make sure you get to the end of the ride to enjoy some food and cold beverages.

See you on the trail.

Boulder Canyon road from Descanso to Julian.

Mild dirt road and a place for breakfast when you get to Julian.

Took my now 10yr old up that route yesterday, two up for his birthday.

Welcome to San Diego

Name is Ryan, 26 years old, moved to SD about 4-5 months ago. I just picked up a DR650 (from this site) for weekday commuting and weekend fun. I am pretty new to dirt but I have owned and ridden several road oriented motorcycles in the past. I look forward to meeting many of you in the future.

PS anu suggestions of routes/rides for a novice dirt rider to get his feet wet ASAP?

North, South or East SD?

Welcome to the club- that DR650 is very capable but it's a big bike for off-road- start slowly

North, South or East SD?

Welcome to the club- that DR650 is very capable but it's a big bike for off-road- start slowly

I am in Kearny Mesa. I did take the bike out this AM and took it on some tight trails it did seem little heavier than the xr100 and xr250s rode growing up, haha

For sure, but it packs a little more punch too!

Let me know if you plan on riding some Sunday, and i'll join you on my KLR (talk about heavy) or my DRZ

I took the KLR out with a neighbor on his Sabre this morning, and it kept up or pulled away the whole morning; nice to know I couldve taken Deer Park, Boulder Creek, Viejas Grade etc on the way back

Welcome aboard. I've also got a DR and it can be a pig at times, but it's plenty of fun. See ya out there sometime.