My son picked up an 09 DRZ 400 Supermoto yesterday. Compared to my 450X its quite lacking in power. Riding it, it feels restricted. I know these things are quite capable and have more power than this one is showing. Supposedly a JD kit with UNI and stock exhaust. What do you do to wake these up?

big bore kit and a high compression piston. JD kit, exhaust system, 3x3 air box mod... nitrous oxide.

yes, they are kind of sluggish until the RPMs pick up a bit.

FCR carb, E model cam (can't remember if it's the intake or exhaust?), change to E model base gasket for more compression.

Go to Thumpertalk.com and read up in the DRZ specific thread

I will tell you- they are sluggish

As tom said, the FCR, with airbox mods, thin base gasket, pipe is the cheapest wayto improve things

Big bore, high comp piston costs a bit more

"Burned" on thumpertalk will tell you he can get 50 horsepower, but it's still lugging around a 300 pound bike

Good luck

As tom said, the FCR, with airbox mods, thin base gasket, pipe is the cheapest wayto improve things

"Burned" on thumpertalk will tell you he can get 50 horsepower, but it's still lugging around a 300 pound bike

Good luck

What year and what have you done to your bike?

FCR Flatside Carb with a full pipe will get you the most HP increase for bang per buck. FCR likes to be adjusted freq. That said....

Full Pipe, 3x3 airbox mod, rejet and it's just as reliable as stock. these will get you 2-5 more HP=Low dollar. Lighten it up by taking off the smog, rear fender eliminate kit, passenger pegs removed But its still heavy.

E cams intake for low end torque, exhaust for higher rpms rev pover. Hotcams stage 1 is the same effect but cost a bit more. E gasket adds higher compression but takes some work needs high octaine fuel.

Piston kits, E-model mods, K&N filter=High dollar.

I've had three. 61,000 miles on one of them becuase i left it pretty much stock cept for the first three mods i mentioned.

bike is heavy to power to wieght ratio. Sluggish for power to rate ratio, but super reliable and cheap. huge aftermarket products everywhere. SM model has the Best suspension of all the DRZ's.

Keep it simple, change the oil, brake pads and chain and sproket when the are due and ride as much in-between. Hope that helps.

Good luck

What year and what have you done to your bike?

Mines a 05; bought it from a buddy for 5000with 200 miles on it

I have: 3x3 mod,rejet, and resprung for my weight. Everything else would be considered "flair"...edge taillight, rad guards, casesavers, sdg seat, Clark tank, rental bars, bar risers, 15-50 gearing, MT43s, skid plate, etc

Did two rides today- a singletrack blitz in the morning, and pine valley fire road to 4 corners around sundown- the bike really does almost everything I ask of it