Chief Gunner

Why can't we get these bike here?

I really do not understand why European countres get models of bikes we cannot. I thought it had to do with emmisions but after doing some homework I found out that it's a bunch of BS.

Many of the countries in Europe have tightned up on emmisions so much that even California is looking to them for ways to improve now. They are working on standarizing emmision requirements for all of the EU.

The diversity of models that are available overseas really makes me think of how limited our choices are here. I cannot help but think we are getting the short end of the stick in our choices of bikes and what is available here for us.

Here are a few that I would like to try but cannot.....

Yamaha XT660Z

desktop2008xtz660grey.jpg

These are availible in England and Italy, if you want one here you have to build it yourself on an older platform that you can get a license plate for.

ASI650_SM1.jpg

I always wanted one of these too

Africa%20Twin%20-%20(med).JPG

That Honda 650R looks like it has E-start. That would be the ticket right there! I've been looking at plated 650R's but don't want another kick only bike. It seems like we never get the good stuff over here. Bring on fifteen more Shadow models, Honda!

I think it's because until even recently the only thing that sold in the USA was loud Harleys and motocross bikes, Americans just didn't "Get it" why you'd want an unobtrusive, well engineered, capable, quiet long distance and versatile on/off road traveler, a la Ducati Elephant, Honda NX650, Cagiva Gran Canyon, etc. they just didn't sell here. KTM broke new ground betting the 950 would take off, and it did, which propelled BMW to try it again in America, we'll see how it goes, but we all wish you could get Africa Twins and Tenere's here, maybe Honda and Yamaha will listen and join in???

alot of the DS versions you see in EU are built by the importers,, like yamaha motor france and HM honda Italy... they do a great job of building up super competitive DS bikes, like the HM CRF enduro comp bikes

I like that Yammy.

I think you would be disappointed in that Yammie... all show and no go...

thumper 660, pushing a big old fairing through the air... unadjustable suspension if I remember correctly, which means "sprung for an anorexic midget"

NOW just may be the time for such an aggressive looking bike... it looks butch, but really, it gets 45 miles per gallon, and is much happier on the morning commute than it would be in Tuareg