Sign in to follow this  
GB007

CRF230L

I used to have a CRF150 which I found heavy, and difficult to start (prior to the e-butom). Now Honda is coming with a street legal version of the CRF230. Well, it seems like a nice playbike or something to have on the back of your motor-home. Because of it's seat hight, its easy to ride for shorter riders, but may be boring after a while...

http://powersports.honda.com/2008models/#CRF230L

looks like a fine machine for someone who isnt in a hurry off road and doesnt live too far from the trails.

reminds me of an older honda xl

Cute and about 267 pounds ready to ride. Bet it's not as cute as my TE 450 in whoop-de-doos. I am just on pins and needles waiting to see if Japan is ever going to make a competitive trail bike like the Europeans have right now. They might figure out it's a good market. :mega_shok:

me: How about a CRF450X in street legal trim?

Honda: blah blah blah blah$$$$ blah entry rider blah

me: people will buy it if you manage the weight... hell... charge us more if you need to maintain your margin

Honda: the 230 is a nimble, fun to.....**** KTM: never mind Honda... we'll take it from here... move along.. you're right... the American public only needs 9.5 inches of travel on a dirt bike, and wouldn't know how to adjust their suspension anyway, and 80/20 dual sport tires are fine**** enjoy the off road experience with all the refinement only Honda can provide.

I took another look at the little paperweight on the Honda sight. I noticed that Honda is very careful to not accidently suggest that you actually go trail riding on the bike. They seem to be trying to suggest that the machine is kind of a two wheel version of the suburban mini-suv, even though it is hardly practical for anything like going shopping, etc. They have suggested that you might find it suitable for riding on a dirt road :hysteric: Gosh, I'll probably end up owning two or three of them :D:D :mega_shok:

I already own a plated 230 for my daughter, I ride it once in a while too. It's okay for trail riding, if you take it slow. It's okay for street riding, if you take it slow.

Basically.......it's okay and slow. Just what we wanted Honda, way to tap the market. They could at least have plated the 650R, might have a winner????

I would buy a 450 in a heartbeat! I'm tired of my 300+ honda. I would sell the 650L the frist chance I get to buy a 450 honda that is street legal.

went for a ride with motobro, and a couple of other fast guys a few weeks back... 3 DRZs and a plated CRF... driving down a dirt road at 40 MPH, and the CRF drops a gear, gives it some gas and the front end comes right up... me and another on a DRZ are redlining our bikes, and sitting on the fender and tugging on the bars, and getting 6" wheelies.

a plated CRF would be great!

Guest Hammerin Hammon

When you click on that link check out the new Honda 700cc A.T.V. I want that motor in a dual sport bike. :D

I would buy a 450 in a heartbeat! I'm tired of my 300+ honda. I would sell the 650L the frist chance I get to buy a 450 honda that is street legal.

went for a ride with motobro, and a couple of other fast guys a few weeks back... 3 DRZs and a plated CRF... driving down a dirt road at 40 MPH, and the CRF drops a gear, gives it some gas and the front end comes right up... me and another on a DRZ are redlining our bikes, and sitting on the fender and tugging on the bars, and getting 6" wheelies.

Well, the reality is that it is the rider and not the bike...sometimes little bikes are able to go faster on single track, if it's an experienced rider. You see some 125 cc beating larger bikes in the international six day enduro races. One time I went riding to Corral Canyon with other SDAR riders. I rode my EXC300, and there were other bigger bikes, but my son rode the little kawi KLX110 and beat us all... :D Until we got to a place with large rocks and he did not have much clearance. Those honda's CRF150 and CRF230 are like little tractors with lots of low end power. To me they are fun to an extent, but I love the adrenaline of the two stroke or high performance four stroke like my husky. But sometimes, I just want to take it easy and enjoy the scenery. My Honda CT70 was the best for that! :D

Guest Hammerin Hammon

You guys need to test ride my CR 500. Just dont flip it over please. :D

Shoooot, I'll be the first to sign up for this one.

Guest Hammerin Hammon

Shoooot, I'll be the first to sign up for this one.

Since you are a pilot I think that makes you over qualified. You must be used to fast things O.K. you can ride it. :D

Since you are a pilot I think that makes you over qualified. You must be used to fast things O.K. you can ride it. :D

Nothing like throwing the reins around a 1600HP 240 mph beast on a daily basis. My new one is going to be 1700HP and 450mph. Cant wait.

Well, the reality is that it is the rider and not the bike...sometimes little bikes are able to go faster on single track, if it's an experienced rider. You see some 125 cc beating larger bikes in the international six day enduro races. One time I went riding to Corral Canyon with other SDAR riders. I rode my EXC300, and there were other bigger bikes, but my son rode the little kawi KLX110 and beat us all... :scratch_one-s_head: Until we got to a place with large rocks and he did not have much clearance. Those honda's CRF150 and CRF230 are like little tractors with lots of low end power. To me they are fun to an extent, but I love the adrenaline of the two stroke or high performance four stroke like my husky. But sometimes, I just want to take it easy and enjoy the scenery. My Honda CT70 was the best for that! :unsure:

preachin' to the choir on "It's the Indian, NOT the arrow"

But pulling up the front wheel at 40 mph on a flat road just ain't gonna happen on my DRZ...and i have ridden plenty of bikes that CAN do it.

As far as riding the trail... all 3 guys kicked my ass that day. And 2 of the guys were on the same bike (without my mods even)... so I was the slow Indian that day. I've been on group rides on my TW200, and kept up fine.... bad arrow, good Indian that day. On anything remotely technical, the rider matters all the more.

You guys need to test ride my CR 500. Just dont flip it over please. :scratch_one-s_head:

you speak wisely... dislocated shoulder from my first time on a two stroke... they "hit" different