Sign in to follow this  
Ride-Orange

To the hinges of Hades and back again

First of all this really was anothe GREAT RIDE! Thanks tntmoto Tom for getting us together once again to ride. We started out of Alpine at about 0830 with tntmoto, Mikey B, papaalex, Tom's pals Grant and Eddie, and Randy (not THAT Randy though...) (sorry "bill", I still owe you a beer for forgetting, and I WILL pay-up):

post-88-1188680625_thumb.jpgpost-88-1188682758_thumb.jpg

Up the freeway to Willows Road, Viejas Grade, Bolulder Creek?, whatever... Tom will know the exact route. Anyway, I was sweeping and Eddie was pretty cautions, so the rest of the group got pretty far ahead on the first gravel section. I stopped to lett Edddie get ahead so that I could push the edge of the envelope on the supermoto set-up, but after about 1/4 mile I found that Eddie was concerned that something had happened to me and was stopped in the middle of the road turning around to come find me :D He fits right in, Nobody Gets Left Behind!

After hitting some pavement, we wound-up on another gravel section. I stayed in the sweep spot for a bit, then decided it was time for Test Plan "B". I cruised past Eddie with a quick wave and a wink, and shortly formed-up in the slot on the midsection of the group. After a mile or so, Randy waved me up so I thought "What the hell, that's why I came up here", so I cruised the mighty 525 supermoto on past. Within a moderate distance I was going by papaalex with my sights on tntmoto who was now up front by a quarter mile or so.

I found that with a slight tap on the front brake lever, and a subtle twist of the throttle, the fat 17" rear would cooperate nicely and slide around the turns with ease. I kept pushing the envelope and gaining on Tom. I was within about 100 yards when IT happened :angry: A right hander (my weaker side) with a very slight downhill. I don't know if it was too much front brake or a millimeter too much twist, but the back end came around and pretty soon my beautiful new (used) supermoto found itself riderless and testing the effectiveness of the axel , footpeg, and handlebar sliders on gravel.

It's a good thing I decided to wear shorts because the right hip of my new Thor zip-offs would have been as shredded as my skin is right now. Saved me seventy bucks! :P Anyways... I had the bike up and over to a shady spot by the time papaalex and the rest of the midsection came around the corner, so no one was able to get that " here's my stupid overzelous buddy right after his crash" pic we all strive for on these rides :angry: I was glad to see that all of them looked at me like I had three heads and two of them were on FIRE as they went past, I felt right at home :D

We found a shady spot at the end of the gravel and I got another pic

post-88-1188682225_thumb.jpgpost-88-1188682829_thumb.jpg

That's when Randy pointed out that the top triple clamp bolts on the spankin' new (used) ride of mine were MISSING!!!! :D In my haste to put the bike back together last weekend after swapping out the heavy fork springs (the better to carry my big @ss oround deary) and the GPR V.2 which raises the bars a half inch or so (the better to allow your long @ss arms to reach the controls while standing-up sweetie), I had either neglected to tighten them or forgot to install them at all! At any rate, when we reached Julian I broke off from the group so that I could head to All American in Ramona and pay my well earned "Stupid Fee" of 8 bucks for 4 new (slightly used) bolts.

The ride back here was less than eventful, but I think I spotted Randy after I came out of Wildcat Canyon and jumped on the 67 south. Had a great time though and I can't wait for the weather to cool :D

It was so warm today, I took the BBQ off my bike! :angry: It wasn't too bad, I had ice water in my camelbak and good riding partners today. I had so much fun I didn't get any pictures though.

After Rob split from the group at Julian the rest of us went down Banner Grade to Wynola Road. We followed it to the highway and into Santa Ysabel where we stopped for a cold drink and some shade. At this point we lost a few others, left with just Alex, Eddie, Grant and myself. We decided to continue onward. It was plenty warm on Mesa Grande/Black Canyon/Santa Ysabel Truck Trail but we made it into Ramona. My friend Eddie had never done any off road riding prior to this so I stuck with him at his slow and steady pace. He did good, a few more times out and he'll be tearing it up with the best of them.

After a good ride on a hot day, it's good to be home under the tap of my kegerator enjoying some cold Red Trolley Ale!

See you on the trail.

Hey Tntmo, it was so hot today, I bet you couldn't tell the difference after you took the BBQ off your bike :angry:

" BILL " here :angry::D:D:D:D

My name is Randy ( NO, not that one ) ( Blue STOCK DRZ S )

Nice time today boys! Got to play and practice some of my off road stuff I haven't done in about a month.

Hey, KLR dude, keep up playin and tryin new stuff. I am sure your riding buddy will give you pointers to help get you more comfy in the dirt. My riding buds that do dirt spent alot of time explaining, teaching, and giving me pointers to get thru the wierd stuff we call DIRT.

I am slow as hell in the dirt, so I consider myself a street guy, that dabbles in the dirt....

For those that didn't know the route:

Viejas Grade, Boulder Creek to the tree, Engineers Rd to Cuyamaca left to Julian, Banner to Wynola and back down to Santa Ysabel.

Michael and I headed out from there, and went Old Julian Hwy thru Ramona and 67 towards home.

What did you guys think of Engineers? You said you wanted to do some SM :angry:

Rob, LocTite :P And thanks for the pics!

I want carnage pictures...

but you get extra points for using the phrase "hinges of Hades"...

who were the other two "main" Greek Gods (sea and heaven)?

who were the other two "main" Greek Gods (sea and heaven)?

Guessing! Poseidon/ Neptune- Sea

Noreus

Phorcys

Cronus/ Zeus - Heaven

If you did that without an internet search, good job... That's the way I remember it, but didn't do a search myself...

a rock band from the 70's (Chase) did a whole album dedicated to, with songs about, the greek gods...

Rock band with a 4 trumpet horn section... go brass!