carguy

Dirt Bike School

We are trying to setup a DirtBike School, RiderCoach Prep with the MSF. So far there are a couple of us from SDAR and someone from Camp Pendelton interested. The proposed class would be 4-5 days at Pendelton the last week of November. The cost for the RiderCoach Prep is $450 ea. The cost can be recovered in a couple of classes.

Here is a link, DIRTBIKE SCHOOL

If interested, Please let me know. We do need a few more people to have enough to have a class. Currently the only scheduled class is in Texas, TOO far for carguy.

There are several benifits working for MSF, the most gratifying is helping people who have never been on a motorcycle before, learn to ride. You must be willing to help people and want to work when ever you want to. The pay is not great, but lots of fun.

Again, let me know if interested. I am already MSF employed and want to add Dirt to the card.

I look foward to your PM's

I'm very interested in this one. I need to give Kevin Frantum a call to see if I can work something out. He was my instructor when I did the Dirt Bike course two years ago and he is an outstanding teacher and rider.

I might be able to work something out with my Command to have them send me and Chickenheart (he is stationed at the same place as me) to be the designated Dirt Bike instructors for them. :blink:

Boondoggle on!

Thanks for posting this Carguy. I'll keep you updated.

We are trying to setup a DirtBike School, RiderCoach Prep with the MSF. So far there are a couple of us from SDAR and someone from Camp Pendelton interested. The proposed class would be 4-5 days at Pendelton the last week of November. The cost for the RiderCoach Prep is $450 ea. The cost can be recovered in a couple of classes.

Here is a link, DIRTBIKE SCHOOL

If interested, Please let me know. We do need a few more people to have enough to have a class. Currently the only scheduled class is in Texas, TOO far for carguy.

There are several benifits working for MSF, the most gratifying is helping people who have never been on a motorcycle before, learn to ride. You must be willing to help people and want to work when ever you want to. The pay is not great, but lots of fun.

Again, let me know if interested. I am already MSF employed and want to add Dirt to the card.

I look foward to your PM's

I've been thinking about doing this - if nothing more than to learn something myself and help others out. I took the BRC, ERC, and DBS courses from the guys here on Penleton and think they run a pretty good outfit. I've read the FAQ's on the website, but have a couple questions if you happen to know. I might try and see if I can boodogle my command into sponsoring me for the course too (I can hope can't I?).

Do you already have to be an MSF coach (street) or can you just do the dirtbike rider coach prep? I might do the street thing in the future, but I'd hate to miss this opportunity to do the dirt course.

What sort of experience do they look for when you go to take the course? Is showing them you can ride and telling them you've been riding dirt for a couple years sufficient? I suppose if you can ride the test, you'll be good to go...

By the way, where do you teach? On your own or through an organization? How do you handle insurance if you teach your own classes?

Sorry to bug ya so much, but this sounds like a great opportunity to get smarter, safer, and help other riders do the same.

Do you already have to be an MSF coach (street) or can you just do the dirtbike rider coach prep? I might do the street thing in the future, but I'd hate to miss this opportunity to do the dirt course.

What sort of experience do they look for when you go to take the course? Is showing them you can ride and telling them you've been riding dirt for a couple years sufficient? I suppose if you can ride the test, you'll be good to go...

By the way, where do you teach? On your own or through an organization? How do you handle insurance if you teach your own classes?

Sorry to bug ya so much, but this sounds like a great opportunity to get smarter, safer, and help other riders do the same.

Very good questions Doug.

You do not need to be a street RiderCoach to enroll or teach the DirtBike school.

A couple of years of dirt riding is good, passing the dirtbike school is good too. The standards are higher for the RiderCoaches.

I plan to teach at our own site locally(TBD). You can teach nationally when you graduate. If someone sponcers you, you may have some responsibilities to teach for them.

Once you are accredited, Insurance through MSF is available.

That is the Key, You get smarter, safer, and help others do the same and continually develop to become a better rider and better person.

I have often thought of doing something like that, but I have such goofy scheduling at work I never know when I get days off from one week to the next, sometimes. Still, I am interested, maybe I can discuss it some with you on the next ride we both go on. I have gone to two schools; advanced rider safety training and Keith Code Superbike roadracing school. They were both fun, although as you might imagine, the roadracing school was more fun :unsure:

We do need a few more people to have enough to have a class. Currently the only scheduled class is in Texas, TOO far for carguy.

When I got into dirt riding ~7 or so years ago I decided it might be a good idea to take a refresher course/get some off road training since most of my riding the past ~30 years has been "street only". So I decided to take a one day course with Gary LaPlante at Motoventures.....Gary is a personable guy/excellant rider/former trials champ......he's located nearby (Anza) and his courses are moderately priced if you arrive with your own bike/gear......so that's another option to consider for those interested in getting some off-road training but not necessarily looking to drop a lot of $$ or teach.

Moto Ventures Training

For on-road training (road or dual sport), I'd recommend Reg Prigmore's CLASS......sorta like the Keith Code training Mimi mentioned but more focus on real world/street riding as opposed to racing/track riding (IMHO). You may see all flavors of bikes at a CLASS session (sport/cruiser/dual-sport) vs. sport bike only at the Keith Code sessions. That being said, EVERYONE (street or dirt) would be well served by spending a few bucks on the classic Keith Code Book, Twist of the Wrist

CLASS Motorcycle schools

I hope this isn't considered a hi-jack? :unsure::blink:

I hope this isn't considered a hi-jack? :unsure::blink:

Kinda, but different curriculum. Looking for interested riders who want to be teachers(RiderCoaches).

3 and a maybe so far

I've been waiting for a few people at my job to get done with some school so I can go to the MSF instructor course. I'll see if I can get the dirt bike part of it also.

Thanks for your interest. :D

The class is set, Dirtbike School in your area soon. ;):ph34r:

I’d love to do something like this; I’ll be retiring from my current employment soon and have the time. I could even swing the cash. :D

The only hitch is that I’m new to the dirt again. I’m back after nearly 30 years absence from the off road scene. I suck at sand right now and I’m not too good on the hard pack. So I don’t think I’m qualified to take the instructors course. :ph34r::D

Now I could be your first student! How would that do? ;)

Roger