Guest Crusty

Went over the bars to miss a head on at Corral Canyon

Guest Crusty

Cristina had other plans so I went to Corral instead of Pala.

I like to park at four corners to avoid the traffic from the culdi sac at the Pine Valley off ramp,

but I decided to save some gas and ride in today.BIG MISTAKE.

I got there at 6:30 and was riding by 6:45, The fire road sucked, with all the ruts and the sun in my eyes.

When I got to Kernan the fun began, I rode all the trails I did with Sic Vic last Thursday except some of the fire roads.

I had a great time on Ranger, My CR 250 R makes it all seem easy.party.gif

I was back at Four Corners at 8:36...Cool... I will be back at the beach having my,

Supercross BBQ party watching Tomac and Barcia beat Dungey in this weeks main event.coolio.gifcoolio.gif

I started my decent down Kernan, I was going fairly slow, knowing the DROOLERS would soon be on the trails.ph34r.gif

I came around a left hander into a steep hill when I saw 2 riders coming right at me, I hit the brakes but we were still going to hit,

so I whipped to the right as hard as I could.

We missed by inches, but I went over the bars, and my bike landed on top of me.ph34r.gif

No big deal, I had all my gear on,knee braces with patela cups, Fox body armor.full face helmet, goggles, boots and gloves.

I bit the end of my tongue.

But my throttle was stuckwacko.gifunsure.gif Removed it, removed the seat, gas tank and slide, NO LUCK

Had to ride it out in using the kill switch, brakes and gears to slow down.

Thank's to Sic Vic I had all my tools in an Ogio vest.

I am sharing this so someone may learn from my mistake.

Made it home safe, am a little sore, but have lots of beer a couch and 1 1/2 hours till SUPERCROSS.unsure.gif

GO Tomac, Barcia,Stewart, Daisy Mudflaps, Canard, Reed, Villipoto,Did I miss anyone. LOL.

Craig

That sucks dude but glad it was not worse! I had that feeling in my gut all day yesterday. I was just extra worried about the head on thing.

One can only be so careful, you could be sitting still on the trail and if the other guy has his eyes on the prize you're a gonner no matter what.

The price we pay. Rest it off.

Thats why I hardly ever ride Corral(unless I get BS to lead), I got hit head on on Kernan the first ride on my X, I went right the other guy went left!

Remember if you need help give me a call, I'm only 15 minutes away. OK maybe 20 when you figure in my cast, but that's short term.

So your mistake was riding a Honda instead of a reliable KTM that wouldn't have such problems, very glad you're finally learning, does take time with some folks :)

glad all are ok,

Daisy Mudflaps, thats some funny stuff

So your mistake was riding a Honda instead of a reliable KTM that wouldn't have such problems, very glad you're finally learning, does take time with some folks :)/>

Maybe you miss it but he rode all the way back with a stuck throttle!! Don't Hate!!! :thumbsdown_anim: :thumbsdown_anim:

I was there today after a long trip with my friend Diego I was on my DRZ and Diego on his new Honda we parked few miles before the four corners, we road trail 1,4,6 and I don't know what else a total of 5 hours spent there riding all the trails but we did have two close calls and we felt the same way this place can be very dangerous and the trails are really narrow so you have no way out to avoid a head on collision in some places.

Glad you are OK and just shaking up which is normal after an accident like you had.

So your mistake was riding a Honda instead of a reliable KTM that wouldn't have such problems, very glad you're finally learning, does take time with some folks smile.gif/>

Maybe you miss it but he rode all the way back with a stuck throttle!! Don't Hate!!! thumbsdown_anim.gifthumbsdown_anim.gif

Got up early, had stuff all organized. Read more posts of near head on's, narrow trails and then I'm thinking "holiday weekend with idiots left and right" and somehow kept hearing Eastwood in my ear "feeling lucky Punk?" Simple answer, not at 51 with three kids and a woman depending on my income and my recent propensity for CRASHES!

Wasn't looking forward to 85 miles of slab each way (need to be lucky there too) to get there either.

Long story short (I know, too late!) I decided to bag this ride for today. I'd love to get out there on a quiet, less crowded, mid-week ride sometime.

Hope you all have a fun and most of all, SAFE day out there. I look forward to the awesome ride reports and pictures that'll make me wish I'd had've gone!

Got up early, had stuff all organized. Read more posts of near head on's, narrow trails and then I'm thinking "holiday weekend with idiots left and right" and somehow kept hearing Eastwood in my ear "feeling lucky Punk?" Simple answer, not at 51 with three kids and a woman depending on my income and my recent propensity for CRASHES!

Wasn't looking forward to 85 miles of slab each way (need to be lucky there too) to get there either.

Long story short (I know, too late!) I decided to bag this ride for today. I'd love to get out there on a quiet, less crowded, mid-week ride sometime.

Hope you all have a fun and most of all, SAFE day out there. I look forward to the awesome ride reports and pictures that'll make me wish I'd had've gone!

Ooops! This post was meant to be placed in the Sunday Corral Canyon Ride thread. See, I ain't right!

Guest Crusty

Did the other riders stop to check on you?

Yes, they stopped

Feel safe following?????

A friend missed the first rider, to hit the second, and be run over by the third rider...

He has a laundry list of injuries.ph34r.gif

Be safe.

Craig.

Guest Crusty

So your mistake was riding a Honda instead of a reliable KTM that wouldn't have such problems, very glad you're finally learning, does take time with some folks smile.gif

Bent the throttle body, could have happened on any bike.

Added to ignore list.

maybe you should try some racing. no need to tell anyone how good you or your bike is, can show up and prove it, and no worries about having a head on.

Guest Crusty

maybe you should try some racing. no need to tell anyone how good you or your bike is, can show up and prove it, and no worries about having a head on.

I raced plenty, no need to prove ANYTHING!

Recently I went 1 and 1 at a VetX race at Racetown

100 bucks says you can't go 1 and 1 at Racetown

Take a lap on the track at Racetown

Most recent was this race.http://dualsport-sd....san-felipe-250

I just want to ride, at 49 years old, married 3 kids, 2 daughters in collage.

I raced plenty, no need to prove ANYTHING!

Recently I went 1 and 1 at a VetX race at Racetown

100 bucks says you can't go 1 and 1 at Racetown

Take a lap on the track at Racetown

Most recent was this race.http://dualsport-sd....san-felipe-250

I just want to ride, at 49 years old, married 3 kids, 2 daughters in collage.

Sweet video!

I'm not sure what a DROOLER is, but it sounds a bit derogatory. Do we speak of our fellow SDAR compadres this way? I thought this website was for men and women who share a mutual love of riding and mutual respect for one another?

Crusty, I was one of the two who "met" you on our way up Kernan on Saturday. My roommate was the lead. I can assure you and everyone else that we were riding at a very reasonable speed, and in a cautious manner. We too have had more than one occurrence with on-coming traffic at Corral (Kernan specifically).

I do not think you were riding in any unsafe manner yourself. From my perspective, what occurred was a result of very unfortunate timing on what is best described as a blind turn going both directions. Even more unfortunate was the significant downhill you were facing as part of the turn.

To speak to CL300CAPT's question of whether we stopped... Yes we did. I immediately put my bike down to assist Crusty, if needed. I assure you, his fall was scary and I was concerned. Over the bars in that scary, slow motion manner and landed close to directly on his helmet. Crusty was up quickly and very aware. I looked directly into his eyes to assess his condition. I would say a little shaken, but seemed in good shape. I picked up his bike so it would stop leaking fuel and held it for him for a couple of minutes while he did a bit of a self check.

We asked him a couple of times if he felt he was ok. Outside of his concern for his throttle, he indicated he was all good and appeared to be fine. We made sure we were confident he was in good condition before we continued on.

My roommate and I are both cautious and respectful riders at Corral, McCain and everywhere else we ride. The safety of ourselves and other riders on the trial always takes precedence over balls out, berm blowing riding.

I understand your frustration at having to ride back to Pine Valley cul-de-sac with a stuck throttle. That truly does suck. That's not necessarily a cake walk with a perfectly functioning throttle. Happy to hear you made it without further incident. And I really feel bad that the three of us "met" in such an unfortunate manner.

I sincerely hope you are unharmed by the end-over, and look forward to a possible opportunity to go the same direction and share a good ride in the future.

Godspeed...

Chad

I think you what said is very true and the whole "DROOLER" thing is something I have no clue about.

I was hit once there , and I was 2nd behind my buddy . He took most of the hit and I was stopped.I think I saw them before he did.

Glad everyone got home. Hope all is good!

Guest Crusty

I am fine, fixed the throttle, sanded the bars,bought a new helmet I am ready to ride.

DROOLERS is a term I stole from Bikeslut, He was jocking Spaough.

I like to ride early, because I rarely see anyone.

Thanks Chad for stopping.

Craig.

I may have coined the phrase "drooler" and its not meant with any disrespect. I have generally avoided head-ons by early morning rides when the masses are usually still asleep and "drooling" on their pillows.

That's all that means- I usually try to avoid kernan on the way down for just that reason. I was riding Corral Sunday, and took the road down to the crossroads- I "expect" people to be coming up that trail, and visibility is "hit and miss" is you'll pardon the pun.

Glad you're ok Craig, and thanks for stopping to check on him Chad.

As for the bravado on this thread-i gave up on that. I'm glad everybody is more or less ok, and the bikes will ride again

I'm not sure what a DROOLER is, but it sounds a bit derogatory. Do we speak of our fellow SDAR compadres this way? I thought this website was for men and women who share a mutual love of riding and mutual respect for one another?

Crusty, I was one of the two who "met" you on our way up Kernan on Saturday. My roommate was the lead. I can assure you and everyone else that we were riding at a very reasonable speed, and in a cautious manner. We too have had more than one occurrence with on-coming traffic at Corral (Kernan specifically).

I do not think you were riding in any unsafe manner yourself. From my perspective, what occurred was a result of very unfortunate timing on what is best described as a blind turn going both directions. Even more unfortunate was the significant downhill you were facing as part of the turn.

To speak to CL300CAPT's question of whether we stopped... Yes we did. I immediately put my bike down to assist Crusty, if needed. I assure you, his fall was scary and I was concerned. Over the bars in that scary, slow motion manner and landed close to directly on his helmet. Crusty was up quickly and very aware. I looked directly into his eyes to assess his condition. I would say a little shaken, but seemed in good shape. I picked up his bike so it would stop leaking fuel and held it for him for a couple of minutes while he did a bit of a self check.

We asked him a couple of times if he felt he was ok. Outside of his concern for his throttle, he indicated he was all good and appeared to be fine. We made sure we were confident he was in good condition before we continued on.

My roommate and I are both cautious and respectful riders at Corral, McCain and everywhere else we ride. The safety of ourselves and other riders on the trial always takes precedence over balls out, berm blowing riding.

I understand your frustration at having to ride back to Pine Valley cul-de-sac with a stuck throttle. That truly does suck. That's not necessarily a cake walk with a perfectly functioning throttle. Happy to hear you made it without further incident. And I really feel bad that the three of us "met" in such an unfortunate manner.

I sincerely hope you are unharmed by the end-over, and look forward to a possible opportunity to go the same direction and share a good ride in the future.

Godspeed...

Chad

Chad- thanks for posting. You did as any of us would do...look forward to riding with you sometime

Guest Crusty

Godspeed...

Chad

Chad- thanks for posting. You did as any of us would do...look forward to riding with you sometime

Can I ride behind you guys, PLEASE.party.gif

Yea ride behind BS, otherwise he is right! behind you and sometimes even yells directions or something?

Crusty just curious how was the throttle body bent( duh in the crash ), but I am just trying to picture that, maybe I am thinking carbuetor position, is it exposed toward the side of the bike?

Guest Crusty

Yea ride behind BS, otherwise he is right! behind you and sometimes even yells directions or something?

Crusty just curious how was the throttle body bent( duh in the crash ), but I am just trying to picture that, maybe I am thinking carbuetor position, is it exposed toward the side of the bike?

I meant Chad and his friend, not bikeslut!!!!

He's too witty for me!

Where the cable comes out of the throttle must have hit the ground,

it made the throttle tube bind.

C