Original plan was to hook up with Calnub, Wekert, Spank and a few other SDAR riders for a days worth of riding around Anza Borrego but ran into issues with Nub's 400 right out of the gate. Wekert & Nub had to truck it back home so being the only big bike I opted not to slow down the remaining riders as they tore up OW OHV and some old Desert Dash tracks. I tooled around OWOHV for a bit then remembered I had uploaded to my GPS an old CORE track (thanks Crawdaddy!) that connected OW to the Ocotillo/Superstition Mtn area. Seeing that I nearly froze my 'nads off on the ride up and over to Anza in the AM (saw 27 degrees on the thermo near Cuyamaca) I couldn't bear taking that route home so decided to give the CORE track a go solo. In short it was 26 miles of really good fun. Sandy yes but nothing like Baja. I had wanted to get over to Wheeler & Sand dam but missed any/all of the turnoffs along the way and the signs advising of the bombing range meant I wasn't going to stray too far off the track. Met a slew of VW bug dune buggies near the train trellis and one of the guys warned of a decent stretch of silt along the train tracks (remembered reading that way back) - they were right but knowing it was coming made it easy to blast right through it. Good times and a pretty fun ride for any big bikes out there looking to work out in the sand.

The track

post-15077-099038800 1357000119_thumb.jp

The wash in between the powerline trail and the train tracks

post-15077-099284900 1357000129_thumb.jp

post-15077-008843900 1357000139_thumb.jp

post-15077-083627000 1357000151_thumb.jp

Looking back at the 1/2 mile stretch of silt along the train tracks (I decided NOT to stop and take pics while IN the silt :blink:/> )

post-15077-050942200 1357000160_thumb.jp

That's a great ride. I did that with Tim (goofyfooter) and Jason (hodnetjj) a couple months ago just before the official opening of desert riding season. I'm not sure if you're supposed to, but the area above the wash is silky smooth and a blast to carve fresh tracks through. Only did that on the way back by mistake, then had to take a pretty steep climb back down into the wash, just before I popped my front tire on a gem hidden among the sand. Awesome ride.

Also, I'm sorry my 400 was having issues and delayed/split the group. I still owe wekert a proper apology seeing as he drove us both out there only to break down 6 miles from the truck. glad you still made a good day of it - looks like you had a blast.

We'll have to try again soon, maybe a pre-desert dash big-bike ride through anza is in order.

Also, I'm sorry my 400 was having issues and delayed/split the group. I still owe wekert a proper apology seeing as he drove us both out there only to break down 6 miles from the truck. glad you still made a good day of it - looks like you had a blast.

We'll have to try again soon, maybe a pre-desert dash big-bike ride through anza is in order.

No worries on my end Aaron stuff happens... it's all part of the fun. I felt bad for both of you having to truck it back so early in the day though I suppose it was actually beneficial we didn't get too far from the truck! You ever figure out what was wrong with it?

Regardless I'm certainly game to give it another try whenever, love that area and there's definitely fun to be had this time of year.

I rolled it into the shop Friday morning and haven't looked at it since. I'm assuming its just a short somewhere, although a I'm affraid it might be something more expensive.

Next time maybe we can ride up together from north park/mission hills. It's not a bad ride if you can keep your extremities warm.

Oh, and the day was not a total loss, we took back roads up to corral canyon then rode kernan back to pine valley before slabbing it back on the 8.

So you took the road that borders the bomb test site, right? The one that runs parallel to the train tracks? Did you open your GS up on that straight away? I think we 75 coming back on that road. Sketchy, but fun.

We did the run from Superstition to Ocotillo Wells on the 30th with a group of 8 riders. Got to OW with no issues and then realized the one quad in our group needed a flag when a nice ranger told us. Luckily he was in a holiday mood and only directed us to turn back instead of giving a fine. Great weekend to ride!

Your the man for riding a big bike threw that sand :good:

The skies looked awesome , clear and blue.......thanks for sharing..