I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good GPS unitfor dual sporting.I understand Garmin is pretty well known.Is Magellan any good?My hope is to find one that is < $300, handle bar mountable, has Mexico topo mapsavailable for it.Anyone have any suggestions?Thanks.

Guest Guest

I have a Magellan which is excellent, but since almost everyone uses Garmin for dualsport, I suggest you get a Garmin. There are compatibility issues if you use something else than a Garmin for route downloads at a dualsport ride.I don't know the models. I'll find some links to useful GPS info for you.

Thanks KTMrad and Guest!I am looking at the Garmin Vista Cx or Legend Cx.Touratech has a shock mount for it.Will let you know when I find a good price. :blink:

My hope is to find one that is < $300, handle bar mountable, has Mexico topo mapsavailable for it.

I use a Garmin 276c in my truck, and although it is too big and bulky for a bike, i use the Mexican Topo and Street maps from http://www.lbmaps.com/ and they are AWESOME! They can be loaded directly through the Garmin Mapsource software and intergrate great with the Garmin stuff. I also used them on my GPSV before i upgraded to the 276c, very happy with their maps. I have both their Navigator (for cities) and Expeditioner (for dirt and topo).Also, on the bike, i run a Garmin eTrex legend with the handlebar mount and it works perfect!

Got the Etrex Venture Cx! I checked the bike mount Touratech on a web site, but it's kind of pricey ($112.00), has anybody seen it cheaper?

Got the Etrex Venture Cx! I checked the bike mount Touratech on a web site, but it's kind of pricey ($112.00), has anybody seen it cheaper?

You can get the RAM mount for the eTrex series at offroute.com for $35 plus shipping.

Where did you end up getting your Venture Cx? Did you find a good deal? What was the difference between the Venture and the legend? I too am looking, and not too proud to let someone else do all the hard work. Ken

Sandiegoland, what mount is that you have on your DRZ?

It's called a RAM mount. The manufacturer website is http://www.ram-mount.com/

Thanks for the info on the bike mount! :ph34r: I shopped around and finally got it at tigerdirect.com for 199.00 plus 6.00 shipping.. but it has a $50.00 rebate... I think the Etrex Legend Cr is basically the same but already comes with the usb cable, card an other stuff... I had points with my amex card I had not used, so I used shopamex.com then it gives you comparison prices on different products.. I ended up paying 32.00 over my points and with the rebate, I'll end up getting some back... so it was a pretty good deal... :D I'm very pleased so far, but I still need to find out how to use the different features.. I like the screen, in the dark it has an adjustable back light, and in the sun looks o.key...