GY6.1911

Advice on new toy...

85' Toyota - 4x4, straight axle, new carb, engine rebuilt 20k miles ago, 22R of course, new hoses and wires, runs/idles well, shifts good, 4x4 works, all lights work except cab/dome light, all guages work, off road lights need switch replacement, new bfg a/t tires w/ 16" rims, interior isnt the best but not the worst either, very little rust. $3k. Good deal? What say ye?

Seems a little high, but old toyotas always command a premium, and 85s are particularly desirable. If you can get 'em to knock a few hundred off the asking price and are looking for something that can crawl I'd pull the trigger on it.

sounds good to me... I'm looking for something just like that for my 16 yr old.

except the paint :torch:

I was hoping the picture would be more like the Back to the Future Toyota, the black one at the end.

I think 85 was one of the last years for the solid front axle. If that is the case, it's a popular model for off-roaders, which is why the price is higher than would be expected. 22R engine will run for only about 400,000 miles, so be prepared to rebuild it at that point.

I think 85 was one of the last years for the solid front axle.

Yep, in '86 Toyota swapped over to IFS.

I have had my 85 toyota 4x4 since 1998 and it has been the best truck. I think $3000 is very reasonable but would have been a little better with fuel injection but still a good deal. If you are going to do much offroading the best upgrade you can possibly do is cross over steering. The stock push-pull system is weak and problematic where the crossover kit takes a bit of work and not super cheap but WAY better. On my truck I installed the steering last year with a detroit locker up front and a Tacoma TRD e-locker diff in the rear. Now its a super off roader. I have a lot of info and personal experience with these trucks so if you have any questions or need advice I would be happy to help.

post-13344-099272700 1354771525_thumb.jp

Im ready to go wheelin next weekend... Just tuned her up, fresh lubrication, and corrected all vaccum leaks.... Purrrin...

Nice! Sporting the old school House of Steel double double roll bar too. Crossover steering is a good option as well as many other items. One of the best things I did to my '80 was to replace the body mount bushings with Energy Suspension urethane bushing kit.

Well I got her... N I love her already...

post-15088-036041200 1354771038_thumb.jp

On my 3rd Yota. They are great. Looks like rover has taken a shine to it also. Looks like he is sayin "this is my truck dont F with it !" :D

right on, nice yota! i spent a lot of time crawlin all over utah when i lived there. had tons of friends with toyotas. you got a gem there. 22R motor is strong and VERY reliable, solid axle is what the hard core guys are looking for. solid toyota front axles demand a premium price. and im another supporter of high steer crossover. on those older toyotas, slamming the brakes can do strange things to the steering geometry, and if you start doing more serious flexing with the suspension you will run into steering bind issues. its worth every penny to buy or build yourself.

nice truck though! now load up the bike and lets go ride..lol

Question for the wiser.... Are 81 Toyota front leafs interchangeable with my 85 toyota 4x4? Mine are saggin... And is there anything I can do besides a visual inspection to check the structural integrity/ life left before I install them? Thanks in advance...

right on, nice yota! i spent a lot of time crawlin all over utah when i lived there. had tons of friends with toyotas. you got a gem there. 22R motor is strong and VERY reliable, solid axle is what the hard core guys are looking for. solid toyota front axles demand a premium price. and im another supporter of high steer crossover. on those older toyotas, slamming the brakes can do strange things to the steering geometry, and if you start doing more serious flexing with the suspension you will run into steering bind issues. its worth every penny to buy or build yourself.

nice truck though! now load up the bike and lets go ride..lol

Thanks for the confidence builder and advice. Will do the cross over steering for sure. And yes we are due for another north county cruise...

Stock setup on 85 Toyota had negative arc leaf springs in front

Question for the wiser.... Are 81 Toyota front leafs interchangeable with my 85 toyota 4x4? Mine are saggin... And is there anything I can do besides a visual inspection to check the structural integrity/ life left before I install them? Thanks in advance...

Roger that. I guess this is one those face palm moments. Maybe I need shocks then. Suspension seems too unforgiving.

You do not want to try putting rear leaves in the front. If you look at the front leaves you will see that they are actually different side to side. the pad on one side of the diff is actually higher. if you put the same height springs on the truck it will sit crooked. There is not much you can do to mellow out the ride. They have a heavy duty suspension on a very light truck. When buying shocks do not buy nitro shocks. Only get oil shocks as the nitro shocks will be way to firm. I have 3.5" lifted front springs and 2.5" rear spring from Northwest offroad (NWOR) and Skyjacker shocks to make it ride good. Old man emu are also quality ride springs though very expensive. I have had my lift kit for over 10 years with no sag or other problems. Lifted shackles with cause a super rough ride. Always use stock shackles to keep a decent ride. Check out NWOR. They sell quality parts

http://www.northwestoffroad.com/parts/suspension_intro.php

if you are playing with spring swaps, its probably best to avoid junkyard swaps, unless you have broken springs in the pack. also like KLXBEN mentioned avoid shackle lifts, yes they are an easy solution but you will pay the price...same thing with large lift blocks in the rear. and just avoid lift blocks all together in the front. not sure if the cheap rancho and skyjacker lift kits have gotten any better in the last 10 years, but a lot of those econo cheapo lift were just as harsh or harsher than stock. like most things, you get what you pay for.

i had a 73 bronco/88 ranger truggy beast i beat the piss out of when i lived in utah years ago. the 4x4 crawling equivalent of SDAR/ADV/thumpertalk is pirate4x4.com. met a lot of good guys to wheel with all over utah and some of those guys are mechanical/engineering/suspension gods! there is a toyota section that you can probably spend months in taking in info. its everything from simple tire swaps and fender cutting to tube frame moon buggies. wealth of knowledge. i remember wheelin with some very impressive early 80s toyotas.

is the ride too stiff or to soft?

Registered at pirate 4x4 just now... Trucks purrin good & Im itchin to get some wheelin, ds'n, and plinkin in all in the same day... Whos down? Im confident I can fit 2 bikes in the long bed. Just don't know how the 22R will handle. Regardless, I want to plan an outing or even an overnighter. Im thinkin Ocotillo or Ocotillo wells area, while the weather is still nice.

if you are playing with spring swaps, its probably best to avoid junkyard swaps, unless you have broken springs in the pack. also like KLXBEN mentioned avoid shackle lifts, yes they are an easy solution but you will pay the price...same thing with large lift blocks in the rear. and just avoid lift blocks all together in the front. not sure if the cheap rancho and skyjacker lift kits have gotten any better in the last 10 years, but a lot of those econo cheapo lift were just as harsh or harsher than stock. like most things, you get what you pay for.

i had a 73 bronco/88 ranger truggy beast i beat the piss out of when i lived in utah years ago. the 4x4 crawling equivalent of SDAR/ADV/thumpertalk is pirate4x4.com. met a lot of good guys to wheel with all over utah and some of those guys are mechanical/engineering/suspension gods! there is a toyota section that you can probably spend months in taking in info. its everything from simple tire swaps and fender cutting to tube frame moon buggies. wealth of knowledge. i remember wheelin with some very impressive early 80s toyotas.

is the ride too stiff or to soft?

Too stiff it seems, but Im adapting. No problemo.