I guess we generated a code red from the weatherman. Didn't know that til we got home. But before that we had fun? uh...yeah...

The plan to run this years Baja 1000 started in June and changed at least 20 times before the start. On race day we had 4 guys ready to go, two chase vehicles and 3 people helping chase. The plan was for me to run the first 320 miles (not my first choice or even my 19th plan), Paul was to follow with 180 miles, Tim on the next 100 miles and Airborn Andy doing the next 180 getting us to Loreto. We had planned to leap frog from Loreto to La Paz providing our chase and racers could beat the bike. The plan was going nicely at mile 500 where we had run 17 hours and had 28 remaining hours to complete the final 620 miles....then Tim went down in the silt, and Tim went down in the silt and Tim went down in the silt. 7 hours later we were able to retrieve the bike and rider. The fender bag with all my tools was gone (I had previously run it on my front fender for years with no problems but the other minds thought it was blocking some of the head light). Our mirror was ripped off, the magic button stopped working, the subframe was bent and part of the footpeg was missing...but! we were still in it after 7 hours of downtime. We only had to average what were doing prior to rider down and we would be very close to finishing under time....so Andy got on and was doing nicely until no joy. Just about mile 600 the bike stopped...hm...no tools...no go... crap. For the 4th time in this race I was off looking for a local with a 4 x 4. Long story but we got Andy back and after another go around we got my bike back. Got bike home, no spark. Hm...my first guess is bad kill switch/starter button. (insert profanity here)

Wow! What an experience! Sorry to hear about the bike problems, would have been cool to finish. But congrats on competing at all! Still an awesome story.

Nice goin on your guys efforts!! I was trying to keep tabs on you guys but the internet and radio tracking was a bitch. No one said the Baja 1000 was easy and you guys made it 3/4 of way nice job.

What was the cause of the code red? And are you ever going to try again?

Tim's multiple get offs in the silt and rocks took a toll on his body which prevented him from going on or getting out. We ended up hiring several locals to take us to him. (first one got stuck and had to be pulled out short of Tim). The second one got us there as Mag 7 pit guys were getting him out. Tim's past medical history prompted us to get the weatherman moving as Tim was stuck for over 6 hours with no word from him.

The mil again? It takes a toll on the body, mind and wallet...dunno, I'm much closer to 60 than 50. Next year is a loop race. Easier logistics and lower costs but a really really chewed up race course.

Guest Crusty

I was happy to see this, maybe next time.

Would you like to PRE run the San Felipe race course in March?

I am prepping my CRF 450X now.

It's lots of fun and much cheaper then riding the coarse on race day!

(quote) Crusty

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:34 PM

259X is doing well.

BIKES and Quads Through San Felipe by Giant Loop

1x, 8x, 5x

104x

103x

6x

9x

3x

300x

108x

301x

7x

101x

400x

1a

2a

410x

306x

178x

110x

409x

2x

402x

101a

405x

304x

103x

258x

404x

267x

10x

107x

270x

52a

149x

156x

109x

4a

503x

549x

283x

102a

249x

53a

408x

253x

411x

103a

259xgood.gifgood.gif

257x

601x

305x

203x

307x

Woa. I'm glad everybody is alright, that sucks the bike crapped out. How gnarly are these silt beds? Are there any local places with similar sand that I could practice in?

ps I got that job, everything worked out for me staying home. I'm still want to get down to San Felipe and Mikes Sky Ranch for some quick south of the border hits tho

Goofy: Sand and silt are two different things. Practice areas? The first one that comes to mind is Laguna Salada (mid lake south to Borrego)...lots of silt to practice on there. In the foothills around Colonet up to San Vicente and areas north...there are some fun areas around there and the views are worth the ride....but to be fair you need to have a buddy chasing you in his pickup and honking his horn about 10 feet behind you...just to give you a little pucker factor. Crusty: Running the San Felipe course in March? Nah, I think I am scheduled to have my nails pulled out around then...gotta pass on the less fun stuff...but I will drink massive quantities of Mexican cool aid and eat fish tacos with ya!

Hey Goofy just go to O.Wells go south past the Iron Door get on the road next to the railroad tracks and go south, you will find silt. Both Wildwood and I crashed there at the same time, big fun , (dirt sky dirt sky etc),

C Ya but not there.