NOMAD5326

Ride Report - 4 Day Xplore Baja Norte (26-29 OCT 2012)

Ride Report from 4 Day Xplore Baja Norte (26-29 OCT 2012)

Started with 6 and the list dwindled down to just my brother and I, which was great as we don't get much time together as it is. He drove from East Tennessee to Nashville to find his flight cancelled and was rerouted. Supposed to be here at 230pm and finally flew in at 1030 (a long day of flying for an East Coaster). Prepped bikes, drank beer and ate pizza until 1 and crashed hard. Woke at 630 to get my daughter to school and he and I were out the door by 0900 (with no-one else but else I dropped the 0830 wheels up at the border thing!). Headed down the fwy (I had to constantly tell him it's OK to ride 80 on the fwy, he was killing me but reluctantly kept up. By the end of the trip I couldn't keep up w/him ;-)

Fri: Hit the Tecate border, rolled through and headed East to the turnoff for Compadre Trail. Stopped for a quick taco or 2 and to look at the map.

DSCN0436-M.jpg

Was initially going to take Laguna Hansen near La Rummarosa but with a late start and shortened daylight hours we took the closer route.

DSCN0440-M.jpg

DSCN0452-M.jpg

DSCN0457-M.jpg

Loved the route, we could go fast, slow and didn't see a person (this would be the theme for the weekend) for over 3 hours until we hit a Federale Checkpoint. Brian was up front and since I knew he would be a little freaked out to see armed guys in the middle of no-where I backed off to enjoy the show of them opening his pockets, bags and asking him questions while he mumbled in TN Spanglish words that even he couldn't understand…

Were having fun and got a bit sidetracked and followed the route back up into Constitution Nat Park/Laguna Hansen for about two hours before I realized we bypassed our turn to Ojos Negros. Turned south and hit HWY3 just before dark. Found a lady selling gasoline from her place, rolled in, honked and filled up w/3gal each (we had a gal in reserve) and headed west another 30 miles to Mikes turnoff. Pitch black by the time we hit the turnoff and w/no aux lighting the 22mi road to Mikes was a bit slower than we thought but we rolled in at 7. Mike met us at the front and told us he'd get our room and dinner rolling (why can't I get this service at home?!). Dropped gear, showered and rolled into the bar for a beer and dinner. GoBajaRiding was there w/a 8 man group from LA and ATL and one additional guy from LA (INHO - B4thenite on ADV) headed to South America. He's new to riding dirt- 4months now- and riding solo. Anyway, ate dinner, drank a few more Tecate's and was in bed and asleep by 1000pm. Man I must be getting old…

.DSCN0465-M.jpg

Sat: Mikes west on dirt to hwy 3 to VDT for gas and a Red Bull and then south on dirt to HWY1. We missed the road in VDT so took a parallel road

(I have this thing with going back) that ended up being SAND/SILT for close to 4 miles.

DSCN0473-M.jpg

DSCN0472-M.jpg

DSCN0470-M.jpg

DSCN0476-M.jpg

Took some sand lessons and then found a perpendicular route to link us up with our initial track. DSCN0488-M.jpg

Headed through the hills on a beautiful road to HWY 1 where we headed south to Camalu. Hit Camalu and went straight to the coast and road coastal up until is was getting a bit dark. DSCN0502-M.jpg

I wanted to be in Erindira by 7 so we turned back to the fwy and raced up to the turnoff to Erindira. DSCN0509-M.jpg

DSCN0514-M.jpg

Found Coyote Cals by 730 and was rushed to rooms (I lucked up with the Crows Nest) and dinner which was already being cooked by Ricks wife (Thai = Delicious Curries). Met three guys on 1200GS"s from LA who where there to fish and a younger guy from NZ on a really cool '84 650XL. KInda an artists' bike w/a leather jacket seat, old Triumph headlight, and some other really artistic touches. He was headed south to SA but was nursing a sprained ankle. Sat by the fire and drank beers till 10 and was again out cold. Beautiful place in a really cool place.

Get the Thai massage if you go. Worked out all the aches and pains even if it's forced yoga!

DSCN0522-M.jpg

Sun: Left Coyote Cals at 9am and headed North along the coast enroute to Punta Santo Tomas. This was some of the most beautiful traveling other than the route from Camalu.

The first hour found us in some thick sand trying to link up with our route that had Brian up to his axle (this is a theme, he drills down to the axles and I just throw my bike down) in sand.

DSCN0524-M.jpg

DSCN0523-M.jpg

DSCN0532-M.jpg

Tide was coming in so we had to ride over the shore rocks to some harder sand before we linked up to our route. Climbed up in the hills then back to the coast where we were flying down beautiful roads with ice whoops and turns.

DSCN0538-M.jpg

Probably our best riding and really pushed the bikes this day. Met back up at ST on HWY 1, had hand made tacos and then pushed up to Ensenada.

DSCN0546-M.jpg

Culture shock in Ensenada (not used to cars and people by now) and got through there as fast as we could. Hit the coast again and pressed on to La Mission where we had a few at La Fonda's then on to Puerto Nuevo. Rolled into town and got the usual swarm of restaurateurs throwing prices at you but went to our old favorite Chellas where we used to take our family and friends (been 6 years since I've been back to Baja). 8 ½'s for $16 and they were small. Restaurant was empty, service sucked but we ate, drank a bit and then rolled next too to the Grand Baja for a room ($60). Unpacked, showered and rolled back into PN this time going to Ortegas for a beer where Brian ordered another batch of Lobsters 8 ½'s for $14 and they were MED/LG and way better!

DSCN0549-M.jpg

DSCN0552-M.jpg

Chilled, told stories and drank till 930 and back to our room where we were both snoring by 10.

Mon: Original route had us back to Ojos Negros and Laguna Hansen home but wanted Brian to have some time w/my family so we chose to do the Lobster Run back to Tecate.

DSCN0560-M.jpg

DSCN0566-M.jpg

DSCN0565-M.jpg

DSCN0567-M.jpg

Beautiful route and it started off really fast with open terrain and beautiful hills. We played around the hills until we got

back on track and the route slowly turned into the little rocks and then some baby head sized rocks that slowed us down a bit.

DSCN0570-M.jpg

DSCN0579-M.jpg

DSCN0585-M.jpg

DSCN0588-M.jpg

I wrestled with the baby heads, dropping my bike a couple of times until the last time my crash guard bolt head sheared off and pushed the guard into the radiator. Patched it w/some JB weld while Brian went scouting. Ran into a farm just shy of Ponchos' where we got a new route out through Otay Mesa. Brian came back and we met an expat rider who lived in Rosarito, chatted a bit and decided the bike was fine to ride as long as we could keep air moving over it.

DSCN0601-M.jpg. DSCN0595-M.jpg

DSCN0597-M.jpg

Hit some hi RPM stuff but temps stayed down. Beautiful and fast route out to the fwy where we were met again w/culture shock of the ugliness of TJ and surrounding area.

DSCN0600-M.jpg

Sped to the border, worked our way up front, and were through in 15min. Pressed to Imperial Beach, grabbed some Radiator Sealant (not sure why I didn't have it welded in Mx) and headed to Coronado to my local bar (Danny's) for a beer, then home to my GF in Del Mar and the kiddos.

IMG_3722-M.jpg

Tues: Woke up, rode to Carlsbad, unpacked the bikes, showered, helped Brian repack, his cloud 9 shuttle came and I trailed him south and waved by as I headed back south to Coronado to go to work. No time to sit around and tell stories and lies for us. Brian had the camera most of the time but rest assured he dropped his bike too!

What would I change: Not much.

Route: Nothing, completely adaptable. I cut out Gonzaga bay because I didn't think we would have enough time w/4 days but its doable.

Bikes: We packed to camp but didn't. Could've gone lighter but whats a tent, stove food and bags weigh? Still would've brought rotopax gas/water. Radiator stop leak would've helped but so would've checking my bolts every morning.

Tires: TKC's on mine, and I put Kenda Big Blocks on my spare (Brians). The BB's are now at less than 25% usuable. They wore fast. my TKC's are at 50% or more usuable. Both were brand new.

Never got a flat or blew a seal or (bottomed out (resprung/heavier oil). If just for this trip I would just use 606's again.

Comms: Made the trip easier if not more humorous. I'm running Midland cause it's cheap but ran on CH15 which is GRMS and race radio capable. Got to talk to a couple guys on ATV's and the GBR guys.

NAV: A borrowed Etrex 30 because my Rino 130 wouldn't synch w/my Mac was doable but SMALL! I really hate updating tech, I like what I like. But may move to the new Montana.

Bags: My Wolfman expeditions took a beating and not a tear. Same for the racks and rotopax. I coulda just gotten by with a GL Coyote as we never touched the gas/water in the Rotopax but was nice to have.

Gear: Standard but I cannot say enough about my Ogio Flight vest. Didn't run a tank bag so the vest as usual made everything easy and all accessible.

Great trip, thanks all for the tracks and will definitely do again! Cheers.

younger guy from NZ on a really cool '84 650XL. KInda an artists' bike w/a leather jacket seat, old Triumph headlight, and some other really artistic touches. He was headed south to SA but was nursing a sprained ankle.

Gerald from OZ. I met up with him in Playa Del Rey. I'd been following his thread on ADV for a while now. Good read. Cool guy.

younger guy from NZ on a really cool '84 650XL. KInda an artists' bike w/a leather jacket seat, old Triumph headlight, and some other really artistic touches. He was headed south to SA but was nursing a sprained ankle.

Gerald from OZ. I met up with him in Playa Del Rey. I'd been following his thread on ADV for a while now. Good read. Cool guy.

You have his link Jeremy?

I am glad you had a great time down there, the Baja 1000 is coming up in a couple weeks by the way.

Thanks for posting this very nice RR. I've ridden that part of Baja quite a bit. Nice to see the Erendira mentioned! That's is some prime, unspoiled area and always provides new riding areas. <BR><BR>I have ridden the coast, along the sand, for quite a ways in that area (Santo Tomas and south). There have been lots of boulders on many parts of the shoreline for the past few years, but storms often wash them away. Haven't stayed at Coyote Cals, but I pass by there quite often. <BR><BR>Good stuff!

I am glad you had a great time down there, the Baja 1000 is coming up in a couple weeks by the way.

Yeah, it was great...now back to work and travels again. I have a few buddies doing the 1000 and hopefully I'll be around to pit. So good to get back to Baja, it's been a very long while.