Todd Whiteside

ADVLife.us - ADVENTURE DAYS?

Anybody hear of this or planning to go? Being relatively new to the adventure riding world I'm definitely interested in the clinics and such (I'd love to do a full Rawhyde weekend but the $1,300 price tag requires a bit of planning) so I'm thinking of heading out to check it out that weekend. On paper it seems interesting but again being a n00b what do I know :unsure:

ADVLife.us - ADVENTURE DAYS

Any thoughts from the more experienced guys out there on this? Lame? cool? waste of time? etc?

I'm unable to open the link: but, as far as things like the RawHyde Courses. you can look at it as SPENDING $1300 for training, or as INVESTING $1300 towards a pastime that will end up costing you way more than that in the long run

For a lot of us, we grew up riding... whether we were particularly good at it or not, we've done it so long, we can't see spending $1300 on training, but if you're starting out, and want to learn the right way, mebbe it is a good choice. Think of it as Dirtbiking College

I know everything I learned to do on my own, I have fundamental flaws in what I do; this includes music, billiards, dirtbiking and surfing. Some well-thought out coaching would probably be a good investment, but I don't have the attention span, disposable income, nor time to really devote to it.

Yeah I'm actually REALLY interested in doing a full on Rawhyde weekend/training thing - and as a relatively inexperience dirt rider I definitely see the value even with the $1300 price tag, (just dont quite have the disposable $$$ at the moment). This Adventure Days thing is interesting though (I fixed the link btw)... they claim "part rally, part expo, part trade show" with clinics, rides, etc. for $300... Just curious if anyones ever been to something like this before and whether is really a 3 day long sales pitch?

Adventure Days

Here is the link - Adventure Days - Event Link

I don't know what is all encompassed with the Rawhyde event but $1,300 is no joke. You could buy a cheap dirt bike, crash it into a million pieces while learning how to ride then throw the whole bike away. While that may not be realistic, $1,300 could be used to attend a beginner Dirt MSF Course, to buy some protective gear and to pay for lots of gas and subsequent smiles on the trail.

For an intro to adventure riding, I'd go and meet a group of SDAR guys who will be starting the "San Diego Back Country Adventure Route" this Saturday morning in Ramona. Most of the bikes will be adventure bikes and will be loaded with camping gear. They're a good bunch and I'm sure they'll be open to talking shop. You could check out their bikes and gear. You could probably go on the ride with them for the day and get some trail experience too. Here is the link for that SD Back Country Adventure Route October 20-21

I'll also be posting another nOOb ride within the next month so come out for that one too! See you on the trail

I don't know what is all encompassed with the Rawhyde event but $1,300 is no joke. You could buy a cheap dirt bike, crash it into a million pieces while learning how to ride then throw the whole bike away.

Now THAT sounds like some serious fun :lol: Yeah the whole Rawhyde thing if definitely on the pricier side of rider training but I find it interesting because it seems like it's geared towards bigger DS bikes - a world that's relatively new to me (20 years of street experience and a bit of dirt bike exp 'back in the day)

That said I did in fact see the link/info the SD backcountry ride this weekend you mention and I WISH I was going to be in town this weekend for it but alas I'm traveling. real bummer. I will definitely keep my eye out for details on your next nOOb ride and I'll be there for sure so I look forward to it as well!

You can learn a ton by going on any of the rides posted up here at SDAR, check out what equipment people are using,and ask questions. As far as riding technique, spend your money in a class with Motoventures

The motoventures thing definitely looks like it'll fit the bill . I'd definitely like to get some real rider training in, it's reasonably priced and it looks fun as hell. Plus I've passed that place a million times back & forth to Palm Desert w/ the wife... good stuff, thanks for the link

Well, I'm all for training, and should probably do that myself, just never got around to it,

( and wouldn't or couldn't spend $1300 on it....)

I'm relatively new to motorcycles, been riding only since 2008, 4 years now....pretty much self taught, but like the guys said, riding with the great people from SDAR provides alot of advice and help when needed. :D

And riding ALOT, also is the best way to learn.... I've been so fortunate to be able to take at least one trip/month, plus other rides, and just persistence has made me an OK rider....

I'm never going to be as fast or seek to go after the knarliest trails, like most of the guys here, but that's OK too..

I just Love the sport......(and I should've started in my youth if I wanted to do that ).

See you out there sometime...

Todd,

I bought my first motorcycle 3 years ago. I hardly qualified as a Noob, more in the Tard category. I took a class from Coach2Ride. I felt the class was well worth the money. In the end, nothing replaces riding as the best teacher.

John

Todd check out this nOOb friendly ride in Nov Halloween Hangover nOOb ride

Argh! The Halloween Hangover nOOb ride looks perfect and a blast to boot but I'm again out of town :angry2: That really stinks. I'm definitely leaving the calendar open in the coming months to make the next one - thanks for the heads up.

As for those rider training programs - thanks for all the links folks (the Jimmy Lewis and Coach2Ride, specifically). I'm definitely in the market; the more I look into them the more the Rawhyde things is WAY over priced. I'm keenly interested in using my own bike it at all possible so I'm keeping my eye out for those and any fun big bike friendly rides....

Todd check out this nOOb friendly ride in Nov Halloween Hangover nOOb ride

Argh! The Halloween Hangover nOOb ride looks perfect and a blast to boot but I'm again out of town :angry2: That really stinks. I'm definitely leaving the calendar open in the coming months to make the next one - thanks for the heads up.

As for those rider training programs - thanks for all the links folks (the Jimmy Lewis and Coach2Ride, specifically). I'm definitely in the market; the more I look into them the more the Rawhyde things is WAY over priced. I'm keenly interested in using my own bike it at all possible so I'm keeping my eye out for those and any fun big bike friendly rides....

You sound like a busy guy. Don't be afraid to post up a ride in the Informal Ride section. Even if its as simple as "Hey I'm looking for a Big Bike and nOOb friendly ride, my availability for the next week are these dates..." - somebody may post up that they can ride and are willing to show you around. Catch you on the trail.

Anybody hear of this or planning to go? Being relatively new to the adventure riding world I'm definitely interested in the clinics and such (I'd love to do a full Rawhyde weekend but the $1,300 price tag requires a bit of planning) so I'm thinking of heading out to check it out that weekend. On paper it seems interesting but again being a n00b what do I know :unsure:

ADVLife.us - ADVENTURE DAYS

Any thoughts from the more experienced guys out there on this? Lame? cool? waste of time? etc?

Am I missing something here? Doesn't the linked web site say this ride is $249?

Edit: never mind!