Sign in to follow this  
Afry

San Diego Back Country Adventure Ride #3 Oct 20-21

Well it's that time again - the date is the weekend of 10/20-21 . In case you missed the last two you can check em out at http://www.socaldualsport.com/ and http://advrider.com/...ad.php?t=764981 these rides are non-profit and designed to be bike bike - new rider friendly and a BLAST! There is a fee for the camp site which is the actual cost. We are camping @ Laguna Campground and sites are $20 each - sites can handle 8 riders and 4 bikes so we will be sharing costs. The campground host is working with us on this and while he cannot let us reserve a group site this time of the year he will work with us to put us all together and hopefully (for them) away from others! Come on out and have some local fun! A lot of SDAR members were in attendance and I hope so again. Last year we had 40 riders sign up but after too much of Shunka's home brew I think not half of them made it through the end of day 2....

DS Maps has been updated and this should be close to the final route. This is a great scenic route which is big bike and new riderfriendly with challenges for those that want to ride the optional routes. No real sand on any of these routes.

http://www.dualsport...om/?link=105725

Day 1 (10/20)

Meet at gas station and Starbucks @ St Andrews and Otay Mesa Rd at 8AM and kickstands up at 8:30

Otay Mesa Rd to Otay Mtn TT (dirt)

Highway 94 and Japutul Valley Rd.

Lunch in Descanso

Boulder Creek Rd (dirt) to Engineers Rd

Hwy 79 to Pine Valley

Pine Creek to Sunrise Hwy to camp (2 routes - moderate/rocky dirt or easy paved)

Day 2

Sunrise Hwy to Banner Grade to S2

Hwy 79 to Warner Springs

Cooper Cienega TT to Anza (dirt)

371 to Palomar Divide on 79

or

***Optional Palomar Divide TT*** (easy to moderate dirt some slightly rocky areas)

79 to The Hideout (cold beverage and sometimes cute girls...)

Mesa Grande to Black Canyon

Black Canyon to Ramona (dirt)

Ending at Cheers in Ramona (cold beverage and sometimes cute girls...)

Thanks to Blake (Bdarling) and Craig (X-country-rider) for helping put this together!

Beverages provided will be home brewed Barley Wine and Scotch Ale for those that are of legal age.

If you have a bike comms system that is capable of GRMS please bring it. We'll be on channel 15 which is 462.5500 Mhz for you guys with Ham radio comms. If you want comms before the ride there are lots of options the cheapist is a Midland headset with a Midland radio.

p2852327p275w.jpg

Available at Dicks Sporting Goods

At Walmart for 30 Bucks

Of course having comms is not a requirement its just a lot funner as we've learned and also safer and makes it easier to herd the cats. We had comms on the Southern Sierra ADV Route ride and it was actually lots of fun. Most ham sets are capable of transmitting on the GMRS freqs making it the perfect "standard" to use. If you have a bluetooth type headset a solution exists to connect a radio to it via bluetooth. The Sena SR10 is around 150 so not cheap but has various connectors to various radio types and connects to bluettooth headsets to allow comms.

SENA-SR10-10.jpg

I use a Midland Bluettooth BT Rebel which goes for 100 bucks and and the optional GMRS connection cable which i have connected to a Midland GXT 1000 radio which kicks out 5 watts. The solution works really well and nice loud comms and is very clear for anyone on the other end. This is because the Midland BT Rebel prefilters out the noise before it transmits the voice.

Midland-BT-Rebel-Bluetooth-Wireless-Motorcycle-Helmet-Headset-Communicator.jpg

BTA302_GMRS-cable1.jpg

Arnie found a cheap Ham radio for 50 bucks and connected to a headset with a Push to Talk (PTT) button on the handle bars. Lots of solutions exist the key is can you transmit and receive on GMRS. Even if you just get a GMRS radio and a pair of ear buds you can at least hear whats going on.

I got a "BaoFeng UV-5R" off ebay for $45 delivered which is a cheapo Ham radio but pretty impressive really. I also ordered the $25 cheapo helmet kit for it off ebay and it's good to 40ish mph which is fine for the trails. Now to get my Ham license....

I got a "BaoFeng UV-5R" off ebay for $45 delivered which is a cheapo Ham radio but pretty impressive really. I also ordered the $25 cheapo helmet kit for it off ebay and it's good to 40ish mph which is fine for the trails. Now to get my Ham license....

If your interested in Arnies solution here's the info and links to order.

Here it is for about 50 bucks.

08.jpg

IMG_9516%E5%89%AF%E6%9C%AC.jpg

3625%E5%89%AF%E6%9C%AC.jpg

2366%E5%89%AF%E6%9C%AC.jpg

And the headset for 18 bucks on ebay

!Bj!UQ+gBWk~$(KGrHqYOKk!Esn89)WOdBLRrooLiug~~_12.JPG

Another better quality option for 60 Bucks (MC-753)

2008_Motocomm_Magnum_F14_Open-Face_Communicator_Headset_--.jpg

The In List

Bdarling

Strega

XcountryRider (Dakota)

Afry

Fudgypup

Roger Jennings

Nomad5326

Mark Sheldon

Taryn Olson

Beechum1

Shunka

Tijuana

YetiGS

LinksIT

Outlaws

Prince_Ruben

Ca Stu

Dimitri (Doc)

Are there any issues with meeting up around suppertime (at Pine House Cafe or campsite)?

1349558809[/url]' post='134694']

Are there any issues with meeting up around suppertime (at Pine House Cafe or campsite)?

Nope, come on by. Only a fee if your camping.

Wish I could make it guys. I'll be celebrating my 50th birthday that weekend with the wife and kids. Have fun, especially at the Hideout on the way back down!

Is there an opportunity for us OC/LA riders to come down from the north on dirt and meet you in Descanso for lunch? I'm just thinking it's a long long way to get to Otay Mesa that early.

Oh, that's a week away....I'm going to try to make it....sounds like fun.

Do you break up into different groups ?

Yeah this time i think we'll do it at the meet up. Do you want to lead a group?

Yeah this time i think we'll do it at the meet up. Do you want to lead a group?

First, let me make sure I'm going.

Second, I don't have a radio, and I know you guys like to use radios.

If I don't need a radio and I go, I wouldn't mind leading a fast group or a middle group. No worries either way, if I go....doesn't matter if I lead a group or not. Hell, I can even be a sweep rider....but then again, you probably want a guy with a radio. (I personally don't like radios....been riding in groups all these years without them, so I don't plan on using them).

1350002075[/url]' post='134988']

First, let me make sure I'm going.

Second, I don't have a radio, and I know you guys like to use radios.

If I don't need a radio and I go, I wouldn't mind leading a fast group or a middle group. No worries either way, if I go....doesn't matter if I lead a group or not. Hell, I can even be a sweep rider....but then again, you probably want a guy with a radio. (I personally don't like radios....been riding in groups all these years without them, so I don't plan on using them).

Your going - so I can get your gloves and glasses back to ya or I'm going to donate them as raffle prizes at Desert Dash :). Besides my new beast needs company.

So far we have about 20 riders saying they are in but please resister so we can sell your information the the Chinese government....just kidding - no commercial use and we are NOT sharing this information with anyone - it just helps us organize the event.

Thanks Roger!

Comms are completely optional. Don't let lack of a radio stop anyone from going.

I rode Otay mountain TT taking the long way home today. Took me about 45 minutes taking my normal Craig pass. That's about 20MPH on dirt roads.

You dog... I drove down there today in the car to check gates, how did you access?