Sign in to follow this  

Well, I guess I'll have to start this thing. After all, I kinda stopped it in the middle of the ride :unsure:

First of all, to all you heat sissies who bowed out....looks like I am a heat sissy too.

Second, to Shiftless, you wouldn't have liked it.

2 Wheels and I started out from Carguys just after 7 AM. We had a leisurly paced ride over the back roads to Valeros in Jacumba, where most of the rest of the crew had already assembled. It was already hotter than a pistol out there by 8. We all prepared to depart, buying mostly fuel for our bodies, rather than for our bikes. We then headed out for the old stage route roads. Alot of rocks and little steps awaited us, but not too many inclines. Some of the larger bikes had problems staying vertical in the bumpier areas. My Husky threaded through this stuff with ease. Then we arrived at the freeway, parked and escaped to the only shade we could find by the tarmac, for a rest. I wasn't taking the heat particularly well, but since the trails were not too much work, I felt confident that it would not be a problem. After all, I have ridden many miles in heat like this over the years.

Some people elected to leave on the freeway at this point. The rest of us decided to take a steep route back to finish our loop. This trail turned out to be a bit more technical than I (and others) had bargained for.

Soon I had lost enough momentum in the first tough section to stall. Short leg syndrome made it impossible to remain seated on my bike and foot it to get going through the loose, steep and slippery terrain, so I hopped off and bulldogged it to a clear place, hopped back on and went a short distance to the next spot where I stalled. After doing this about 5 times, I was exhausted in the heat and sank between my bike and the rock wall to escape the sun. There, I pounded some electrolytes and drained my canteen, but didn't feel revived. Better safe than sorry, I decided to go back down. Heat is one thing. Struggling with a big trail bike is another. Mix them, and things can cross the thin line between discomfort and fatigue to a medical emergency. Then to add to the problem, my electric starter started to malfunction(probably the solinoid) and kept turning my engine over whether I wanted it to or not. I managed to get it to stop and then it wouldn't work at all, but luckily it is not a hard kickstart. RideOrange made sure I drank more water and 2wheels offered to let me ride his bike down(since I could touch the ground with it) We went back down to the freeway with no further incident, except for more problems with my starter before Numbskull accompanied me back to Valeros on the freeway. The rest of the group backtracked the way we came and met up with us at Valeros. After regrouping we all headed for Carguys to enjoy some barbeque.

Even if I hadn't gotten exhausted, I probably would have had to turn around, since my bike was having a problem too. I took it home, gave it a bath and dropped it off at the dealers for them to deal with. Usually, I like to do my own work, but I don't like electrical problems all that much, and I was hoping that maybe they would warranty this problem or at least cut me some slack because the machine is so new.

Well described.

Things have to go well in that temperature. If they don't it's best to come back and challenge it on another day. :unsure:

i learned another lesson dont forget about that can of soda in your pack cuz if you fall it will remind you its there lol. but yea that heat definatly took its toll quick but it was still a good time and got to break in some new gear. i still need to fix my bars (today). but it was great to ride with you guys and look forward to many more rides maybe down at otay since i've never been there (of course theres alot of places i've never rode so i'm down for what ever).

ed

Valero gas station in Jacumba. Start and end of the ride.

20070707Pre-BBQRide022Valero.jpg

It was warm. But it was a dry heat.

Dirt Dame Completing the loop down.

20070707Pre-BBQRide015DirtDameNearB.jpg

Here are some other riders completing the loop down. 20070707Pre-BBQRide003NearBottom.jpg

Just above the riders, a group of bighorn sheep was traversing the mountain going the opposite direction. I took pictures of them, but I just couldn't find them in the pics. They blend in pretty well. The only reason I was able to spot them was that they were moving. Had they been standing still, I never would spotted them. If I ever see some of them again, I'll try for a video clip. They'll probably look like moving rocks.

Here's the same section of road. The wagons and stage coaches would have used this section of road to go up.

20070707Pre-BBQRide005NearBottom.jpg

Resting before attempting the two-mile-long leg back to the top.

20070707Pre-BBQRide019RestinginShad.jpg

Why is everyone crowded next to that piece of rock? It's the only shade around.

This is where a few riders bailed and took pavement back to Jacumba. Smart Choice.

Once we started going back up, the ride went down hill. A few of us only made it part of the way up before tiring and turning around. The riders who were having no problems turned around to look for us and caught up just as we got done turning the bikes around. Everyone made it back to the bottom together.

Once we made it back down, five of the remaining riders took pavement back to Jacumba, and three went back up the same way we'd come down.

Sorry, we were all too tired to do a photo op at the nudist colony.

Guest Hammerin Hammon

Well, I guess I'll have to start this thing. After all, I kinda stopped it in the middle of the ride :lol:

First of all, to all you heat sissies who bowed out....looks like I am a heat sissy too.

Second, to Shiftless, you wouldn't have liked it.

2 Wheels and I started out from Carguys just after 7 AM. We had a leisurly paced ride over the back roads to Valeros in Jacumba, where most of the rest of the crew had already assembled. It was already hotter than a pistol out there by 8. We all prepared to depart, buying mostly fuel for our bodies, rather than for our bikes. We then headed out for the old stage route roads. Alot of rocks and little steps awaited us, but not too many inclines. Some of the larger bikes had problems staying vertical in the bumpier areas. My Husky threaded through this stuff with ease. Then we arrived at the freeway, parked and escaped to the only shade we could find by the tarmac, for a rest. I wasn't taking the heat particularly well, but since the trails were not too much work, I felt confident that it would not be a problem. After all, I have ridden many miles in heat like this over the years.

Some people elected to leave on the freeway at this point. The rest of us decided to take a steep route back to finish our loop. This trail turned out to be a bit more technical than I (and others) had bargained for.

Soon I had lost enough momentum in the first tough section to stall. Short leg syndrome made it impossible to remain seated on my bike and foot it to get going through the loose, steep and slippery terrain, so I hopped off and bulldogged it to a clear place, hopped back on and went a short distance to the next spot where I stalled. After doing this about 5 times, I was exhausted in the heat and sank between my bike and the rock wall to escape the sun. There, I pounded some electrolytes and drained my canteen, but didn't feel revived. Better safe than sorry, I decided to go back down. Heat is one thing. Struggling with a big trail bike is another. Mix them, and things can cross the thin line between discomfort and fatigue to a medical emergency. Then to add to the problem, my electric starter started to malfunction(probably the solinoid) and kept turning my engine over whether I wanted to or not. I managed to get it to stop and then it wouldn't work at all, but luckily it is not a hard kickstart. RideOrange made sure I drank more water and 2wheels offered to let me ride his bike down(since I could touch the ground with it) We went back down to the freeway with no further incident, except fro more problems with my starter before Numbskull accompanied me back to Valeros on the freeway. The rest of the group backtracked the way we came and met up with us at Valeros. After regrouping we all headed for Carguys to enjoy some barbeque.

Even if I hadn't gotten exhausted, I probably would have had to turn around, since my bike was having a problem too. I took it home, gave it a bath and dropped it off at the dealers for them to deal with. Usually, I like to do my own work, but I don't like electrical problems all that much, and I was hoping that maybe they would warranty this problem or at least cut me some slack because the machine is so new.

I wish I wasnt so strapped to work. Sounds like the kind of ride I like. :unsure:

Hey Two, I found one of the sheep. ;) He is in the upper lefthand corner of the photo, in about the first square inch, towards the bottom right of that square inch. I'll let ya know if I find any more :lol:

:unsure: Okay....alot of you might be asking "How hot was it out there?" Well, it was so hot that Papaalex melted his pants! (Okay, he did it with his exhaust, but it was still hot out there :o)

Hey Two, I found one of the sheep. :lol: He is in the upper lefthand corner of the photo, in about the first square inch, towards the bottom right of that square inch. I'll let ya know if I find any more :unsure:

I couldn't find any sheep in the pics of the riders I posted, but you motivated me to look some more in some of the other pics I have. After playing with the brightness and contrast and blowing up the picture, I was finally able to find one. I think there was a group of four or five on the side of the mountain.

Here's a pic with at least one sheep in it.

20070707Pre-BBQRide011SheepwithBox.jpg

Here's a cutout of the area in the box.

20070707Pre-BBQRide011CutoutofSheep.jpg

They blend in pretty well, don't they?

The pig thanks you, it didn't know it could ride up the side of a rock wall, uh, road with street slicks on :unsure: but hey, had a great time, thinking about doing a similar route AT NIGHT WHEN IT'S COOL, then it would've been perfect...maybe wait for a full moon and give it another shot? One more run and I could've made it up that thing :lol: Oh, and I'm getting riding gear that's not solid black, that might help. Good work getting that Husky down the hill Dirt Dame, glad to see you at the bottom still in one piece, if extremely worn out.

Actually I rode the DR200 down, because my feet could touch the ground, which they needed to, because that little bike didn't exactly steer so great and the front brakes?....well, maybe 2wheels should change his handle to Nobrakes. :lol: I might have done better on the "Itralian Scallion" coming down. After all, I did ride it up and that was the hard part. One thing about going downhill, you'll always get to the bottom one way or another ;)

The pig thanks you, it didn't know it could ride up the side of a rock wall, uh, road with street slicks on :lol: but hey, had a great time, thinking about doing a similar route AT NIGHT WHEN IT'S COOL, then it would've been perfect...maybe wait for a full moon and give it another shot? One more run and I could've made it up that thing ;) Oh, and I'm getting riding gear that's not solid black, that might help. Good work getting that Husky down the hill Dirt Dame, glad to see you at the bottom still in one piece, if extremely worn out.

Anyone take any pictures? I was busy throwing the pig around.

I didn't get any pics of the uber pig. Pics of that machine with street tires on that trail would have been awesome but a bunch of the pics I took just came out as a red screen on the camera. Must have been the light.

A night or evening ride out in that area would be a good idea. I've been going to work at 6:00 AM though, so for me, real late wouldn't work out well.

DD, I know my 200 isn't a race bike, but the brakes work. You just have to squeeze them a little harder.

Here’s my ride report. It’s long but I have a little free time right now.

I arrived at the Valero and there was already a couple trucks with bikes in them, maybe a KLR or two and a DR650(?) already there. I parked and then Dirt Dame and 2wheels pulled up. We all started to introduce ourselves using our real names and/or our alias names. Most of us agreed we would forget everyone else’s names in 10 minutes so it didn’t really matter.

I recognized a couple of faces from Desert Dash 3 and when the GS rode up I recognized the rider (but forgot the name) from the dent in the gas tank. The GS (and rider) had been up at the Big Bear run a couple of weeks ago and we talked a little.

I unloaded the bike and put on my riding gear and a few more riders arrived. I think there was a total of 11. Since I’m used to only doing off road riding and lots of dual sport you pretty much see the same type of bikes on a ride. This group had a mix of SX, EXC, DR, TE, XR(L) GS, KLR, etc.. Were any Yamahas there? When I noticed the tires on the GS I thought “This should be interesting to watch in the rocks and sand”

The plan was to go over and take the Stage Road (That’s what I always called it but don’t really know why) down to Mountain Springs Grade and end up next to Interstate 8.

I first rode this route in maybe 1973. I was on my Honda SL 100 and my buddy was on his Bultaco 175 Lobito. When we got to the bottom my buddies Bultaco gas tank (fiberglass) was leaking gas from a split in a seam. We dismantled the fence, pushed the bikes through, put the fence back together and rode back on the interstate. My 100 was not freeway legal since it only had 11 horsepower.

An interesting link about what we may have been riding on.

http://www.hwy94.com/Stage-Coach-Days.htm

Without to much fuss we all assembled and started down Carrizo Gorge road with 2wheels leading since it was his ride. I fell in near the rear of the group with 2 bikes behind me. We rode on asphalt for 3.6 miles and turned left onto a dirt road. We went under the interstate and into the hills.

After another 3 miles of good dirt road we arrived at the right turn to take us to the stage road. We went another .5 of a mile and if you notice there is a Y where another road comes in from the right. We bore left at the Y and I think at this point the road starts to get rocky and rougher. Basically all the dirt has eroded away and all that’s left is the fill rock and natural rock formations and steps from when they built the road in 1800 and something. The date is just a guess.

We followed the road around the hills all the time descending into the canyons for another 2 miles and arrive at the side of Interstate 8. There are also stone foundations or remains of walls and some concrete water troughs. If they are troughs is a guess.

As we were coming down the last descent to the interstate we had to wait for the riders ahead to clear the road. I looked up the hill above me and there were 5 large Big Horn Sheep traversing the hill above us. I’ve seen Big Horns before up in Silver Canyon above the Laws/Bishop area and they weren’t as big as these ones.

Once I got to the bottom I noticed the fence was down and most of the group had parked their bikes next to the interstate and were in the shade of a low hill on the other side of the interstate. I parked my bike and after really looking for traffic (since the traffic is going 70 mph) I crossed the road.

We all talked about the road we just rode. Who survived. Who’s bikes survived (some did get dropped) and what to do next. Some wanted to take the interstate back to the start and the rest wanted to go back up the way we just rode. I chimed in with “See that other road going up the hill and to the south? That’s not really as hard as what we just came down and reconnects to the road we just came down” I continued “My buddy and I did it 2 years ago and he is not really that good of a rider and I don’t recall him having any real trouble”.

I now know what I said was missing. “It’s mostly all up hill, only steeper with the same type of loose rock and the same of type steps we just came down”.

I did give a disclaimer that conditions could have changed and my memory just plain sucks but I know I can do it without killing myself or my bike. I’m not sure all the remaining riders heard the disclaimer.

2wheels said he had not been up this road but wanted to give it a try. The remaining group started up the other road. I noticed right at the bottom a lot of trampled brush. Not sure if it was crushed by 4x4’s or animal’s but there was another concrete trough full of greenish water at the corner.

I was riding near the rear of the group when we came to a steeper loose right turn and had to stop. There was a ’07 EXC in a little trouble. It was off into the brush but the rider got it aimed back down the hill and back onto the road and fell (funny choice of words) in behind us.

We started up the hill again until we caught up with the GS. I had forgotten about him and was very amazed to see the bike and rider upright and trying to get traction in the loose rocks and DG. He was off the bike by then and walking beside it until a few of us dismounted and helped. Having those street tires was bad and good. It wasn’t going to get any traction on this road but then again I wasn’t going to be afraid of it lunching rocks and dirt at my face as I helped push it.

You must remember I am not used to riding with GS riders so I have know idea what they can get the bike through or what they try. I was impressed by how far he had gotten and the fact that he was not swearing and threatening to kill the SOB who suggested this route. It was more like he was apologizing about being in the way and slowing us down.

Up ahead was the Husky and she looked like she was having a little bit of trouble. The kind of trouble we all have when doing a rocky uphill and then you put the bike into first gear and then you put your feet down and then you come to a stop. Basically you’re doomed to get started again without a lot of body english, getting the bike into second gear and not falling.

A couple of use helped her push the Husky to a less rocky spot and she said she would be okay with a little rest she could go on. One thing I did noticed was there was no shade for her to rest in. We went back to our bikes and rode past the Husky to the top. The riders who had been in front were waiting at the top not knowing what was happening down below. We told them what was going on and we all figured we would have to go back and get the group through.

It was nice and breezy and cooler at the top where we were. But then I wasn’t pushing my bike uphill in 100* direct sun. I decided to ride to the end of the road to the junction to see how much farther it was incase the GS and Husky decided they could make it to the top. It was about .2 miles. When I got back the other riders were antsy to get moving. I was thinking (?) we were going to walk down and help the others but the rest of the group looked at me like I was nuts and said they would ride down.

We rode back down the road and up ahead we could see the GS and Husky and those that had waited for them headed back down the road. I said a cheer under my helmet and was happy to see all the riders moving on there own.

When we caught up to the Husky she was still “tip, toeing through the rocks”. That’s when 2wheels suggested that they switch bikes. They switched and all of us that were left went back down the hill without any trouble until we got to a corner that overlooks the interstate. From where I was you could see the GS and maybe a KLR parked by the side of the interstate.

I was trying to figure out why we had stopped before the bottom of the road but then I saw a CHP had pulled up to the KLR and I guess the riders up front were waiting to see what the CHP was up to. It turns out the CHP had stopped because a rider was on the other side of the interstate in the shade but it was not an emergency. I guess the CHP turned out to be a good guy or gal that day and went away.

After the riders in front of me decide it was safe to return to the bottom of the road we moved on. As I passed that trough full of water I mentioned before I was tempted to stop and wet down the bandana. I think I now know why the Big Horns were there.

At the bottom some of the group decided they had had enough and were going to take the interstate back to the start. The rest of use decided to take the route in reverse of what we had done in the morning. Again I was at the rear and at the top of a hill the riders in front of me were stopped. There should have been another rider behind me. The missing rider’s bike did not have a license plate so we figured he would not be taking the interstate back. When he never appeared I volunteered to turn around and try to find him.

When I got back to the bottom and to the side of the interstate the missing rider was not there. He must have gone up the interstate with the others. I rode back up the dirt road to the waiting riders and by then I was just too hot to stand around. I told them that the rider was not there and I’m going to keep moving and I’ll meet you at the split and rode ahead. They caught up in a few minutes and we returned to our trucks.

All 11 of the original riders were there. I had ridden a whole 20 miles but after all it was an adventure ride. One of the riders handed out some beers and we all loaded the bikes and got out of our riding gear. We fired up the trucks and followed those who had ridden from carguys house over to Campo for the BBQ.

I had fun but I don’t think my bike did. The water pump seal finally said it has had enough. It’s been dribbling on the last two rides and sometimes it gets better but not this time. Also the battery ran out of juice (It does have 11000 off road miles on it) so maybe it’s time to replace it if the charging system is okay.

If you like rocks then this is a short but fun route to try.

There should have been another rider behind me. The missing rider’s bike did not have a license plate so we figured he would not be taking the interstate back. When he never appeared I volunteered to turn around and try to find him.

Sorry for the confusion Ralph, and thanks for coming back to try to find me (new slogan suggestion: "Nobody Gets Left Behind"). After giving up the last of my water to Mimi, I didn't want to get stuck heading back into the rocks and the temp getting higher. I did see you three heading up and waved profusely, hoping you would spot me not following, but I guess my steallthy silouette evaded any possible glance ;) Maybe the SX makes me smaller :lol:

Thanks again pal! Hope to ride with you again soon.

R-O

I hope my write up didn’t read like I was saving everybody. I was glad you were the one to jump off your bike and help with the KLR. 2wheels wasn’t going to leave anyone behind but I got the jump on him and rode back to look for you.

I thought everyone did a good job helping each other.

100 oz. CamelBak is the only way to go in that weather.

the pig is ready to try it again...I know I can make it ;) Just sweating like a whore in church on that last section, but she'll make it. Most GS guys don't get into the technical sections, it's the "Range Rover" syndrome, most guys never go farther offroad than the golf course parking lot, but the bikes can do pretty well, a la Mike Miani who has done amazing things with them, but it takes a certain type of person to want to do that with a 475 pound bike...that person is usually tied up during the week and has to get the "Work Release" program to let them out.

All I can say is if you pick your line right, the thing will ride up a wall...but never try to get all that weight restarted, got to keep the mojo goin'. You idle them down around 1500 rpm and just nurse the throttle and try to stay ahead of it. If you lose your momentum is normally takes the same effort for a 100 yard dash while holding a fat woman as it does getting going again, especially in the sand. But think of this, you could finish a ride like this and then ride to, say, Colorado, that's the tastiness :lol: Once I got around the Husky and on the next bluff turnout, I was reeeally hot, the bike was okay though, I pulled off the side and then heard word that we were heading down, which sounded cooler...live to ride another day :lol: Oh, and I'm throwin' a dirt tire on the back next time...no comments Kevin.

Most GS guys don't get into the technical sections, it's the "Range Rover" syndrome, most guys never go farther offroad than the golf course parking lot...

All I have to say is ;)

Utmost respect to you Uberpig riders! I have a hard enough time with my 300 pounder :lol:

Can't wait till next tme Cam (when it's MUCH cooler :lol: )

Oh, and I'm throwin' a dirt tire on the back next time...no comments Kevin.

Is your dirt tire going to have knobbies on it or just a bald dirt tire-Couldnt resist!

Cam- Rode from Fallbrook to El Toro road/Tustin via broken pavement and dirt on Sunday-For $500 i will tell you the route and where there Harley Bars are!

Most GS guys don't get into the technical sections, it's the "Range Rover" syndrome, most guys never go farther offroad than the golf course parking lot...

All I have to say is ;)

Utmost respect to you Uberpig riders! I have a hard enough time with my 300 pounder :lol:

Can't wait till next tme Cam (when it's MUCH cooler :lol: )

Next time we do the route in reverse. Down the steep hill first. Up the less steep hill second.

You guys still did a good job. You were 2/3's of the way to the top.

By the way. I went for a drive on Sunday and stopped at the place were we got onto the interstate. There were two more younger sheep grazing around the stone walls. That's seven Big Horn in one weekend. That might beat my Silver Caynon record.

Great write up all !

I had the esteemed pleasure of following Uncle Cameron on the way up that tuff stuff after the check_point_charlie_cooloff intermission . . . I have to say, and I related this to you Cameron, that I was really impressed with these smooth fluid motions I was seeing in front of me. It was when we came to the point of stalling that things got really ruff. . . Bikes that are really (really,really,really) heavy will do amazing things when teamed up with amazing riders. Well done Cameron, you are one of them ! Amazing lines and a large measure of finesse is what I saw. When I witnessed those moves through the first hill climb, I remember telling myself " I can learn a few things from this guy ! " Kudos dude ! ! !

The heat was hellicious, and the BBQ was cool and classic.

Ride One Amigos !

finesse—

2 entries found for finesse.

Main Entry: 1fi·nesse

Pronunciation: f&-'nes

Function: noun

Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French, from fin

1 : refinement or delicacy of workmanship, structure, or texture

2 : skillful handling of a situation : adroit maneuvering

3 : the withholding of one's highest card or trump in the hope that a lower card will take the trick because the only opposing higher card is in the hand of an opponent who has already played

Hey Cam,I thought I was so overheated that I was hallucinating when I saw you daintily throttling the GS past me on the hillside :D

I just got my TE back from the shop. They looked it over and replaced the sprag (short apparently for cammed bearing centrifigul starter clutch thingie) so I hope all will be well with the starter now. The only thing left to fix now is the big hole in my wallet :) although they cut me a discount on the part. I hope the problem was just a fluke, or I'll have to change the name of the bike from "Trajan" to "Expensive Pile" :D

I don't like the idea that I let that uphill beat me :) I realize that it was due mostly because of the extreme heat and the extra weight of the bike in a situation like that. I am used to wrestling bikes that weigh about 30 pounds less than that and slightly shorter in that kind of stuff. So I want to go back and conquer that trail sometime when it's a lot cooler (and maybe raining....I know-fat chance of it ever raining again around here) or at least somewhat cooler :D

If anyone that went on this ride took a gps I would like to see the file for planning a future ride. Maybe you could post it in the members only GPS section. Thanks, :) Ken

If anyone that went on this ride took a gps I would like to see the file for planning a future ride. Maybe you could post it in the members only GPS section. Thanks, :) Ken

It starts to cool down a little around 5 PM and we have daylight until around 8 PM. An evening ride some day soon? I'd like to go back and get around to riding the area to the west of the stage road and I wouldn't mind doing the stage road again.

The GPS tracks for this ride will be in the Members, GPS section as soon as I figure out how to attach the GPS file. I get an error stating "that file extension is not allowed"