PastaPilot

Kern Plateau and River Valley, Piutes, Greenhorns, etc.

Beezzz and I are in!!! We want to camp near everyone, where is everyone planning on camping? We will probably come up on Friday during the day.

Trying to convince myself. 5 hr trip up Fri night with the little toy hauler. Will the trails we be riding only require a green sticker?

Stickers AND spark arrestors are all you need for the trails. It is about a mile from camp to trailheads and may not be 100% legal to ride a sticker bike from camp to trail, but I have seen it done and have heard more concern expressed by local officials for spark arrestors than the legality of your machine.

Beezzz and I are in!!! We want to camp near everyone, where is everyone planning on camping? We will probably come up on Friday during the day.

The current plan is to camp at Greenhorn Mountain Park.

Link here -----> http://www.co.kern.ca.us/parks/greenhorn.asp <------Link here

A quick look at the above site and found that the "directions" are sorta incorrect. The location of the place pin is on the wrong side of 155. Greenhorn park is on the South side of 155 at the intersection of 155 and Rancheria Rd. Everything else looks correct. Price to camp is $14/night with hot showers, flush toilets and potable water near the campsites. I plan to leave San Diego Friday afternoon between 1-2 PM which should put me at the camp by 7PM.

Edited by PastaPilot

Jon are you going up on Thursday or Friday?

oops, minor technical oversight. I'll be going up Friday. I'd go earlier but made a Dr. appointment Friday morning.

Pasta,

I send a PM to Don requesting GPS tracks. Don't know if he is a GPS MAN.

Does anyone else have tracks for Greenhorn Area. It would be nice to have something in our pocket for starters.

B

unsure.gif

Pasta,

I send a PM to Don requesting GPS tracks. Don't know if he is a GPS MAN.

Does anyone else have tracks for Greenhorn Area. It would be nice to have something in our pocket for starters.

B

unsure.gif

I have some tracks for the area, but the biggest concern in the Greenhorns is Rancheria Rd and highway 155. Rancheria runs North South and 155 is East West. If you can find either one you should be able to make it back to camp. Nonetheless I'll be glad to share what I have.

I was going to recommend that anybody that wants to come along to download the California topographic charts and refer to those. I'll also have my big paper book of quadrangles for refencing in camp. I don't believe there are maps for the Greenhorns or Piutes. If we venture off to Kennedy Meadows there is a trail map available for download. Actually I have the map in my van and will have that with me.

I have some roll charts from Team Dual Dog dual sport rides.

Thanks,

I will print the DeLorme Atlas page for basic information.

Damn, I am out. Have to be in Walnut Creek, CA on Monday morning.

You could still come out for the weekend. Ride Sat and Sun. Leave camp between 4 and 5 PM Sunday afternoon. Home by 10PM, sore on Monday and Tuesday.

I have some tracks for the area, but the biggest concern in the Greenhorns is Rancheria Rd and highway 155. Rancheria runs North South and 155 is East West. If you can find either one you should be able to make it back to camp.

Rancheria Road runs primarily east-west as it starts just east of Bakersfield, then as it approaches Kernville, it runs north south for a few miles.

I don't think any of us are going to go far enough out of the Greenhorns to be on that part of Rancheria Rd but yes you are right. The point is find Rancheria (or 155) and you'll find your way to camp. As for the other areas we'll be riding it's not quite so easy to find your way home.

I just confirmed with Kern County that Greenhorn Mountain Park campgound will be OPEN this weekend.

:party:

I just found a 2010 Kearn River Ranger District South use map. It would be good to have a plate.

Plate - Check

Spark Arrestor - Check

Positive Attitude - Check

Tent - Check

Saturday Dinner - Check

Shower in Camp - Check

Trail Buddy - Check

dirol.gif

Pasta,

Work has slowed down this week so I'm in for this trip and I'm bringing that beer (or beers) I owe you. I will be there by 11am Friday if anyone wants to ride.

John

Pasta,

Work has slowed down this week so I'm in for this trip and I'm bringing that beer (or beers) I owe you. I will be there by 11am Friday if anyone wants to ride.

John

Hey Cablejockkey!

Glad to hear you are going. I'll talk to Beezzz to see if we can get out there earlier in the day to go for a ride. You missed Big Bear, it was a blast as usual. See if you can convince your wife to go, I may be the only lady out there! :)

My tracks are a mess. I've isolated three that cover a fair amount of trails and will get them posted here tomorrow morning.

I just made plans with a local to ride the Cannell Meadows trail on Sunday at 830-900. Out and back from the bottom in Kernville.

"The Cannell trail is 29 miles long and starts at 9800 ft in Kernville, from there on you pretty much play in the mtns going up and down, however for the last 8 miles you descend from 8500 ft to 2500 ft, this part is known as "The Plunge."

Wonderwoman,

If I could convince Sally to go I would be qualified to solve the Middle East Crisis. I will have the silver Excursion with the champagne enclosed trailer. Call when you know your approximate arrival time. My info is in the members only area. PM to follow.

John

The entrance to the Greenhorn Park is a little tricky to find.

If you're driving up from Wofford Heights headed West on 155 you'll come to the crest of the hill (it's quite obvious you're at the top) at which there'll be a large intersection, this is Rancheria Rd. There is a DOT sand shed to the North and a USFS fire station to the South. Turn to the South on Rancheria and stay left. Go through the gate on the left that's about 100 yards from 155. I can't remember if there's even a sign, but it's a paved road into the campground. A few sites in on the left is the host, Bob I think. Pick your site and pay him. I know the sites at the East end of the loop are well set up for larger groups with a large parking area like a cal de sac. That might be best for us this weekend see if you can grab it.

See you there,

Call me if anybody needs help navigating,

(8)356-8O6l

Jon

Due to a couple of glitches, Beezzz and I will be showing up late Friday or on Saturday sometime. We will be staying until Wednesday if anyone is interested in staying up there a few extra days. We will be in a Red Ford F150 and a tent. Our KTMs are looking forward to the excursion.

Pasta, do you know if there are "grills" to grill meat on?

Grills are attached to the fire rings. There is plenty of wood in the forest for campfires but there are also signs saying no gathering wood. Seems silly to bring wood to the camp when there's so much laying on he ground just outaide of camp.

Pasta,

Kug and I will be leaving Escondido at 3:30 Friday destination Domingo's Boron for dinner. See you on the hill.

Anyone with a radio, 146.505. Anyone?? unsure.gif

Bagstr

(9)9949481

I didn't get a chance to post any tracks but will have my laptop with me to perform any transfers that will be needed.

I'll be leaving San Diego around 1030AM. Hopefully we're on the mountain by 4. Just enough time to set up and get in a couple hour ride this evening.

Woo hoo