Ray Cole

Head and cylinder rebuild company?

Hi, I have a 2007 KTM 450 EXC with a lot of hours on it. I'm getting ready to send out the head, cylinder and carburetor to have them all rebuilt/refreshed. I've heard of three different places, LA Sleeve ((Santa Fe Springs, CA), Millennium Technologies (Plymouth WI), and Dave Hopkins (Kirkland WA). Can anyone make any suggestions/recommendations on the best company to work with? The all seem relatively close in price, I'm mostly concerned about quality of work, their knowledge, and customer service. Thank you Ray!!

Is Lasco going to sleeve it or replate it? ( I would go with replate rather than sleeve on this bike). Lasco is a great company (I've dealt with them)

Millenium Tech (I've used them) They are super high quality for plating, they have a strong racing team support resume'

Dave H., I have no input/knowledge

Millenium Tech would be my first choice among the 3 listed (not counting the many other choices available)

I needed to add this, did you have the cylinder inspected? does it really need a replate? These new tech machines take alot of abuse before needing replate of the cylinder. The piston and rings are mostly sacrificial to the cylinder and as for the cylinder a new piston and rings may be all you need.(just mentioning)

I had the same bike, and did the same thing. Sent the head to Dave, he did an excellent job. All the cylinder platers are back east. Not allowed in California, so LA sleeve will just send it back there. I went with http://www.powersealusa.com/ They provided the piston too. All worked great. I sold the bike, but from what I hear it still doing fine. I didn't touch the carb, but Dave can do that too.

Good point made above. Check the cylinder at a machine shop. It may just need new rings, maybe a diamond hone. Mine was scored from dirt getting in. Out of spec. Racers machine in Escondidio can mic it for you. I think he can diamond hone now too.

If you must send it out (Robert brings up great points) Millenium is the only choice in my book !

Thank you all for the info. I did forget to mention I'm having it bored to a 525, hence the cylinder needs to go. Looks like most popular is Millenium.

Bump for an old but informative thread!

--> What does a Diamond Hone do for a Nikasil cylinder?

just a surface break, alot of race shops hit the "chrome" with a quick hone now prior to reassembly. Dont have any sci data on it, just know/hear its a fairly common practice now. (I remember years ago "chrome" was a do not touch cylinder). I can contact a race team engineer I know and ask what/why/if/when? You want more on this, I'll hit him up.