Strega

SPOT HELP ACTIVATED - DSFOX IN CO

Hope whoever it is will be OK and that they get help quickly. Bummer to hear...but that SPOT is a good thing.

Roger, thanks for posting. If you hear anything, please let us know.

Hope whoever it is will be OK and that they get help quickly. Bummer to hear...but that SPOT is a good thing.

Roger, thanks for posting. If you hear anything, please let us know.

I have a few buddies in the area. I made a few calls and my guy in Grand Junction if loading up for rescue/recovery if needed.

Can somebody shoot me a PM or text if things change I am away form the computer. all day today and using my phone to keep updated.

She has johnathon and Ian their. I wounder what's going on.

Called Steve's phone and left a message. Will update when I get a call back.

Dave

A rider with Deb's SPOT is on the move to Crested Butte. I'm keeping the ADVRider thread up to date.

Thank you for all your support, issue resolved

************UPDATE******************

Just got a call from Ian and the group is OKAY, they are in Crested Butte.

SPOT must have been hit by accident.

Thank you everyone for your help and support!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK my guy is turning around now. He was about 1/3 of the way there.

Thanks for getting help rolling, sorry it turned out to be a false alarm.

Thanks SteelRain for sending your guy out to help!!!!!

My friends know I am always there for them. Mainly because there have been a few times I needed rescue and my friends have come for me. If getting a friend to hop in his truck is what is needed I help out I can do that all day :blush:

Jason was glad he could help out, his wife sounded a little bummed out that she wasn't going to meet some new people since she was tagging along; they were happy everyone was OK in the end.

My question is how did you know Deb's Spot sent out a help message? Are you following Deb's ride or on her help list? Or does the site send you info anytime somebody hits their Help or 911 buttons? If your site sends you the info automatically that is AWESOME and takes a huge load off my shoulders.

Dave - as always, your network gets movin' quickly.

Former Marines :coolio:

I have an R2P2 baseline as do a few of my friends, we can get rolling within 2 hours of getting a call for help.

My friends know I am always there for them. Mainly because there have been a few times I needed rescue and my friends have come for me. If getting a friend to hop in his truck is what is needed I help out I can do that all day :blush:

Jason was glad he could help out, his wife sounded a little bummed out that she wasn't going to meet some new people since she was tagging along; they were happy everyone was OK in the end.

My question is how did you know Deb's Spot sent out a help message? Are you following Deb's ride or on her help list? Or does the site send you info anytime somebody hits their Help or 911 buttons? If your site sends you the info automatically that is AWESOME and takes a huge load off my shoulders.

I was on her help contact list and so was Strega.

************UPDATE******************

Just got a call from Ian and the group is OKAY, they are in Crested Butte.

SPOT must have been hit by accident.

Thank you everyone for your help and support!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After seeing the alert twice and they were moving, I kinda figured the button might've got pressed by accident.

I sat down at my desk after a meeting and got a call from Jonathan saying he got an email about Deb's SPOT sending out a request for help. I immediately checked my email and I saw an email from SPOT. That started the ball rolling. Jonathan saw the email before I did and credit goes to him for being 'Johnny on the SPOT' (pun intended).

This message was not a HELP or 911 message, it was a 'CUSTOM' message that said, 'I need help, contact Strega for my location 858-518-####'.

My server will email and text message me if anyone (in theory, the code is there) hits the HELP or 911 buttons. In this case, neither button was hit, the CUSTOM message button was hit 2 times And the 'messageDetail' said she needed help.

This was not something I expected or thought of and I will advise any user on the site to NOT setup their SPOT in this manner. It's far too easy to hit one of the unguarded buttons (OK, CUSTOM, TRACK, or ON/OFF) and much harder to accidentally activate the HELP or 911 buttons on he SPOT II.

We all learned some valuable lessons today, and it's great to know we have such a great community of people here watching over each other as we ride.

Big thanks to Jonathan and TrophyHunter for their immediate efforts, they were valuable in keeping the ball rolling and helping contact local people to inquire about gettin help. Thanks SteelRain (David) for contacting your friends, I'm sorry they had to turn around but it just shows the power of our community.

Thank you all very much for your help and support. Thank you to those that helped spread the word on Facebook and other motorcycle forums.

(sent via my iPad mini)

Wow! I am impressed with all of you. And I am so glad that all is OK, my heart sank when I just saw this thread. Beezzz and I were up there last year and stayed in Crested Butte, it is the most beautiful area, but there is some treacherous terrain that had me in tears after 130 miles of rocky trails. I'm glad the group has a SPOT and such an amazing support group. Keep up the good work.

Glad everyone is OK, and kudos to everyone for the effort to help.

You should see some of the comments about the False Alarms on Facebook about this....WOW.

Question....is there a way to check your own spot device periodically to see if any of the buttons or alerts were hit by accident ?

Question....is there a way to check your own spot device periodically to see if any of the buttons or alerts were hit by accident ?

On my generation one SPOT you just have to look at the lights. The way they are blinking and which ones are blinking tells you everything. It is more complicated than the newer ones, but I carry a manual with me just in case.

You can via smart phone if you load the SPOT page or if you download the SPOT APP. I don't know of another way to check it.

** EDIT **

Or, you can have each one of your buttons send a message to yourself so you know if it went through or not. That's what I do.

You can via smart phone if you load the SPOT page or if you download the SPOT APP. I don't know of another way to check it.

** EDIT **

Or, you can have each one of your buttons send a message to yourself so you know if it went through or not. That's what I do.

Nope, don't have a smart phone and don't plan on getting one.

I have the newer G-Spot from Kelly, haven't used it yet. Hope I never hit the panic button by accident.