Afry

First aid kit help

I am assembling a small first aid kit for single day dual sport rides - sometimes solo. I already carry SPF 40 lotion, duct tape, a knife, fire starter, space blanket and Aleve. Trying to keep it simple so I always have it.

(1) 4" Israeli bandage

(1) 6" Israeli bandage

(4) large Band-Aids

(4) Butterfly's

(2) 4'x4' gauze pads

Tweezers

Razor blade

Safety pin

Couple Pepto Bismol tabs

A few asprin

I don't feel I need to get crazy with antiseptic this and that because the goal is to stop the bleeding etc and get out or till help arrives.

What am I missing that can't do without?

I am assembling a small first aid kit for single day dual sport rides - sometimes solo. I already carry SPF 40 lotion, duct tape, a knife, fire starter, space blanket and Aleve. Trying to keep it simple so I always have it.

(1) 4" Israeli bandage

(1) 6" Israeli bandage

(4) large Band-Aids

(4) Butterfly's

(2) 4'x4' gauze pads

Tweezers

Razor blade

Safety pin

Couple Pepto Bismol tabs

A few asprin

I don't feel I need to get crazy with antiseptic this and that because the goal is to stop the bleeding etc and get out or till help arrives.

Surgical gloves came in handy last weekend when we had to pull the air filter off a submerged bike. Better than having filter oil on your hands. They can be used for a variety of things. In my experience, I've used my first aid kit on strangers more than myself, so gloves aren't a bad option. Plus they weigh nothing!

Other than that, I think you're good. The Israeli bandages are great to have.

I carry (and have used) a SAM splint.

Very versatile. You'll need some kerlix or other spongy roll tape stuff.

(1) 4" Israeli bandage

(1) 6" Israeli bandage

(4) large Band-Aids

(4) Butterfly's

(2) 4'x4' gauze pads

Tweezers

Razor blade

Safety pin

Couple Pepto Bismol tabs

A few asprin

Surgical gloves came in handy last weekend when we had to pull the air filter off a submerged bike. Better than having filter oil on your hands. They can be used for a variety of things. In my experience, I've used my first aid kit on strangers more than myself, so gloves aren't a bad option. Plus they weigh nothing!

Other than that, I think you're good. The Israeli bandages are great to have.

This is my list.

Maybe it will help.

(1) American Flag

(1) Tourniquet

(1) .45 Cal Round (In case my position becomes overrun)

Some say that the American Flag is excessive though.....??

Covers just about every situation!

What size? 9"?

Gloves were a good suggestion as well - thanks!

Besides a factory first aid kit, I carry an ace bandage, small roll of hockey stick tape(medical tape), maxipads, pain killers (vicoden), muscle relaxers(flexeril), anti diarrheals, tums, ibuprofen, sunscreen, lipbalm, good quality small pliars for plucking cactus, and a SPOT.

The knowledge that you learn in a good first aid, CPR, field trauma class is probably the best thing to have with you.

Epi-pens have proved usefull in my past experiences. Always water for washing out eyes and cuts etc, nothing makes a hurt person more uncomfortable then eyes full of dirt or blood after a crash.

Super glue is much cheaper then Celox but Celox is also useful for clotting. I might bite the bullet on this.

(1) 4" Israeli bandage

(1) 6" Israeli bandage

Is there a place in town you can get them or did you get them through amazon , etc. ....

Thanks.

(1) 4" Israeli bandage

(1) 6" Israeli bandage

Is there a place in town you can get them or did you get them through amazon , etc. ....

Thanks.

Ebay, (2) 4" & (2) 6" for $20 delivered - one set for each bike.

funny... I was with him when he needed that splint

walker broke his leg... and his foot... hell; everything below the knee

he was about 1/4 mile up a bumpy fire road from the nearest pavement... everybody is giving advice (bad advice mainly) until the paramedics get there... they're professionals... they are trained an equipped... they'll splint his leg, then get him in the 4x4, then down to the waiting ambulance..

"guys.. let's splint him"

"uh... anybody have a splint?"

None of the Ranger/CHP/Medic guys did, but bowers did... I carry a long crescent wrench and some duct tape; close enough

funny... I was with him when he needed that splint

walker broke his leg... and his foot... hell; everything below the knee

he was about 1/4 mile up a bumpy fire road from the nearest pavement... everybody is giving advice (bad advice mainly) until the paramedics get there... they're professionals... they are trained an equipped... they'll splint his leg, then get him in the 4x4, then down to the waiting ambulance..

"guys.. let's splint him"

"uh... anybody have a splint?"

None of the Ranger/CHP/Medic guys did, but bowers did... I carry a long crescent wrench and some duct tape; close enough

Good story, a couple tire irons would do in a pinch

Good story, a couple tire irons would do in a pinch

Not to be argumentative, but the cresent wrench or tire irons will not stabilize a neck, wrist or elbow and are generally too short for a leg injury.

The SAM is a fantastic design, and one of the best features is it's size- folds up or rolls up and fits just about anywhere.

But duct tape and a wrench are certainly better than nothing, and long as the wrench is either a Snap-on or (in a pinch) Craftsman.

I was being sarcastic... you know how you can tell when I'm being sarcastic? :coolio: