Firebug24k

Corral Canyon from the West?

Is there any access to Corral Canyon from the west? I'm playing around on Dualsportmaps.com and it looks like everyone gets there from the east, heading west. I'm looking specifically at Barrett Truck Trail and Skye Valley road.

I rode up in that general vicinity today and ran across a huge worksite area with a bunch of helicopters and a big power tower. No locked gates, and it looked like I could keep going east towards Barrett lake, but I didn't know if I was going to get in trouble poking around over there or not.

Thoughts?

lr32adobephotoshoplight.png

Guest Crusty

(quote)I rode up in that general vicinity today and ran across a huge worksite area with a bunch of helicopters and a big power tower

Sounds like you were at McCain valley, not CC.

No- he has the right Valley

Bug- Skye valley Road and Long valley (if memory serves) both get to Corral from the west- carguy and champ are more local, and can answer better, but I believe they've been blocked for years as you get close

Long Valley connects with Kernan trail to take you down to and across Morena Stokes road (AKA Corral Canyon road). Sky Valley is just part of a perimeter loop (along with Espinza trail) of the Corral Canyon OHV area. Any other roads or trails that may appear on a map are either private property or designated wilderness area (AKA not for motorized vehicles).

Thanks for the info. After more staring at the map, it looks like it is indeed part of the Pine Creek Wilderness Area. It's weird, there's a huge construction project going on back there (maybe hydroelectric power from Barrett?). Lots of signs everywhere saying "Project Access" and "No Project Access" directing motorized traffic down various roads.

Curious, but I definitely want to stay out of wilderness areas - I respect the reasoning behind those a lot more than the random people that lock gates "just because".

Here's a blown up shot of the area - Corral Canyon tracks are on the right side, the area I was talking about is on the left. Pine Creek Wilderness is in the middle.

garminbasecamp201205131.png

Long Valley connects with Kernan trail to take you down to and across Morena Stokes road (AKA Corral Canyon road). Sky Valley is just part of a perimeter loop (along with Espinza trail) of the Corral Canyon OHV area. Any other roads or trails that may appear on a map are either private property or designated wilderness area (AKA not for motorized vehicles).

hey firebug what does your screen name mean?

That construction is part of the Sunrise Powerlink project. There used to be a trail from the Espinosa west to Horsethief Rd but it became part of the wilderness so it's a hiking trail if its still there.

No access from the west , there used to be two ways , but no more. Barret is closed in Hauser (as Moon Valley is too), because the Border Patrol doesn't want to have to patrol it. Wilderness is a convenient way to shut down fun old riding areas complete with roads campgrounds etc.

These places are now only open to possibly undocumented international travelers or hardy backpackers.

Sign me bitter.