sandiegoland

Shoring up Truck Suspension

Last year I hauled my DL650 (500+ lbs) up to Bakersfield and back in my little 1999 Toyota SR5 Tacoma. It sagged a little (duh), but did okay for one time of cautious driving. Now I have a need to haul the bike about 1500 miles, this time with more gear and a passenger in the truck. I was looking at options to shore up the suspension a little and wondered if anyone has had experience with these options:

1. Airbags (like on tractor trailers):

http://www.etrailer.com/Vehicle-Suspension/Toyota/Tacoma/1999/F2213.html?vehicleid=19991014492

2. Axle bump stop upgrades (rubber springs):

http://www.etrailer.com/Vehicle-Suspension/Toyota/Tacoma/1999/TDVR05091.html?vehicleid=19991014500

I don't need to hear the obvious... replace the truck. Ride the bike up there, etc... :mellow:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FIP-2213/ Rear Wheel Drive

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FIP-2304/ 4WD

Craig - I put the Firestone kit on the Tundra when I got the toy hauler and still use it to stiffen the ride when I toss the bikes in the bed. Easy install - read twice - drill once. :party:

NOTE: Check the fine print or call before buying. Since I have the TRD pkg, the rear end is the same as the 4WD so I needed that kit.

The Firestone kit got good reviews and I haven't had any problems with it atl. Summit was the cheapest place I found but it's been a while since I shopped around. i tried to give my money to ORW but they couldn't match the price - even adding in shipping.

Thanks Ken. That is good to hear. I was curious if upgrading the axle bumps is suitable for my application, but the air would no doubt give more control over height and ride.

I like the idea of the bump stops and it's $100 less....just don't have any experience with it. A nice, simple option for sure.

Air bags or helper springs. I just see the rubber "springs" falling apart.

BUT if it's only a one time thing and $100 less, meh, maybe it's worth it.

I used these adjustable shocks years ago on a 2nd generation Toyota p/u, they did the job and are cheap, ~$60. Don't let the jeep forum fool you, these are available for Tacomas too.

http://www.jeepforum...-shocks-947025/

I remember those from long ago... that might be an option to consider.

Air bags or helper springs. I just see the rubber "springs" falling apart.

BUT if it's only a one time thing and $100 less, meh, maybe it's worth it.

Yea, with only 500 pounds in the bed, they might just barely be activated.

I put coil over shocks on the back of my 94 2wd Toyota PU and hauled my Harley Sportster and my Mechanics tools from MA .to CA. Also had quite a bit of other stuff packed in around the bike and toolbox, with my wife and I in the front. Averaged about 22 mpg. and 75mph. I am pretty sure I was right at the load limit. Did about 2600 mi. in 5 days.

I used these adjustable shocks years ago on a 2nd generation Toyota p/u, they did the job and are cheap, ~$60. Don't let the jeep forum fool you, these are available for Tacomas too.

Sneek do you run these as your sole rear shocks? I have Bilstein 5050s (I think, I'll have to go check) in the rear. I thought it would really help to have heavier shocks on the back but I need much more. My springs are toast.

Sandiegoland how usable are your leaf springs? Mine are shot. I have a very heavy joehauler type hitch carrier and I put the DRZ on the back and I've totally overwhelmed the stock Tacoma.

With the help of Drabnor, I've found some interesting leaf spring swap options. I'm also going to call national spring and see what they can build. I don't necessarily need high articulation springs, I don't 4x4 my truck hard, that is what the bike is for. I will be following this thread closely because I too need to get my rear suspension dialed in.

I put coil over shocks on the back of my 94 2wd Toyota PU and hauled my Harley Sportster and my Mechanics tools from MA .to CA. Also had quite a bit of other stuff packed in around the bike and toolbox, with my wife and I in the front. Averaged about 22 mpg. and 75mph. I am pretty sure I was right at the load limit. Did about 2600 mi. in 5 days.

Damn I wish I got 22mpg going 75mph!

Not sure about Toyota. But I went with a Deaver C30 to stiffen up the back of my ProX.

I wanted to maintain ride quality and the stance of the truck.

It will be more expensive but in my truck it is the best ride quality when loaded or empty... I tried just about every combo I could get into and felt the guys with the Deaver setups all had the best ride.

Not sure about Toyota. But I went with a Deaver C30 to stiffen up the back of my ProX.

I wanted to maintain ride quality and the stance of the truck.

It will be more expensive but in my truck it is the best ride quality when loaded or empty... I tried just about every combo I could get into and felt the guys with the Deaver setups all had the best ride.

Exactly. This is what Goofy needs. Tacomas are notorious for getting saggy asses. My old Tacoma had a saggy ass and I used an add-a-leaf to save $, in hind sight I wish I'd replaced the whole leaf pack and spent the extra $. Add-a-leafs can uncover other issues that a full leaf pack set will solve.

However, SDland, if you want to spend a minimal amount of money and just get your trip done those shocks will most likely be your best bet. But not a long term solution if you are doing much off road adventuring in your truck.

Just a thought... I loan/rent my truck to friends all the time.

Crew Cab LWB... Where are you going? If my truck needs to be there we can work something out, if you are Round Tripping it, I coul make the truck really available.

Sneek do you run these as your soul rear shocks? I have Bilstein 5050s (I think, I'll have to go check) in the rear. I thought it would really help to have heavier shocks on the back but I need much more. My springs are toast.

Sandiegoland how usable are your leaf springs? Mine are shot. I have a very heavy joehauler type hitch carrier and I put the DRZ on the back and I've totally overwhelmed the stock Tacoma.

With the help of Drabnor, I've found some interesting leaf spring swap options. I'm also going to call national spring and see what they can build. I don't necessarily need high articulation springs, I don't 4x4 my truck hard, that is what the bike is for. I will be following this thread closely because I too need to get my rear suspension dialed in.

I think they are still in good shape. It was just a commuter truck before I had it. No heavy bed use.

Just a thought... I loan/rent my truck to friends all the time.

Crew Cab LWB... Where are you going? If my truck needs to be there we can work something out, if you are Round Tripping it, I coul make the truck really available.

That's generous of you, but we'll be out for two weeks. The truck is to be parked in SLC, Utah.

Also the nice thing about the Tacoma is it will probably get 27-28 MPG on this trip.

That's generous of you, but we'll be out for two weeks. The truck is to be parked in SLC, Utah.

Also the nice thing about the Tacoma is it will probably get 27-28 MPG on this trip.

No worries. I have a staging point in Park City you may be able to use.

Get full leaf springs and you could do Bilstein 5100's while you're at it. From what I've read, adding shocks to clapped-out springs isn't going to do much for you. I too toasted my leaf springs - but I have a 2005 Tacoma. Just like on a bike...spring rate != damping. You can add compression damping by putting HD shocks on your truck...but you make the ride suck. Now that you already have too much to think about...adding springs may raise your truck. Good luck.

Chad

Get full leaf springs and you could do Bilstein 5100's while you're at it. From what I've read, adding shocks to clapped-out springs isn't going to do much for you. I too toasted my leaf springs - but I have a 2005 Tacoma. Just like on a bike...spring rate != damping. You can add compression damping by putting HD shocks on your truck...but you make the ride suck. Now that you already have too much to think about...adding springs may raise your truck. Good luck.

Chad

Crap... Are the Yotas that bad on the leafs? Does anyone know why?

In general, stock Tacoma leaf springs suck. They sag out from only the weight of the truck resting on them over the years. Look under your truck at the leaf springs. Are they concave or convex? If they are nearing convex the leafs are shot.

Is this detrimental to your truck? No, if you only use it as a commuter and don't really haul anything heavy or load up your truck often.

As said before a new leaf set is pricey but a worthy performance upgrade if you are going to haul a lot of stuff or go off road often.

Deaver: Deaver Toyota

The Deaver Stock Height Replacement Pack is $450

Deaver's F85 "Tundra / Tacoma ('96-04) 1.5", 3-Leaf Rear" is $230 but I think its simply a different add-a-leaf pack? I've read contradicting things on the forums.

Wheeler Off Road Wheeler Toyota

Alcan 4 leaf set, Stock Height $450

1.5" lift, 5 leaf set $460

Point taken 1kstep, what you're saying makes sense and its also what I'm experiencing. For my purposes (not to overly hijack Sandiegoland's thread but we have similar issues with the same truck) I think the Alcan 5 leaf pack from wheeler might be the best option. That with my 1 year old Bilstein 5150s should (hopefully) be enough. What about additional "helper springs" - the ones that are only activated (flex) when a lot of weight is put in the rear? The air bag suspension is pretty nice but I still need to address my bad leaves.

In general, stock Tacoma leaf springs suck.

This my friend is why I own a ProX. There is no such issue.

That said I would still get a better set of leafs as a start.

Dave - my googlefoo is off. ProX...? Is it your truck? Suspension upgrade? Always enjoy learning new stuff, just at a loss.....thx.

ProX is a "special" nissan titan.

It has the frame of an american LWB diesel (all made by nissan) along with a few key upgrades to the engine and suspension over the typical titans an an almost 20k900 lbs towing capacity.

That said I currently do not have the factory Turbos in it to save a ton of fuel and to pass CA emmisions.

The last year they were special was 2008, and they are rare. The new Pro-4x is a basic titan with 1.5" more suspension , big tow, 3" frame and ruggedized undercarriage.

All ProX trucks are full crew cab with a 7'2" bed and come with all the Nismo goodies.

My truck (toned down) was the support vehicle for the desert dash 2this years ago... It will be this year also (with me behind the wheel), but it will be back at full capacity by then, no more CA inspections... :)