PastaPilot

When are your tires worn?

I think everybody has a different opinion on when they consider their tires to be worn and in need of replacement. Just curious as to what some of your views are.

For me, I replaced my last tire when I started to see wear on the "core" of the tire. Meaning I had just about worn off the knobs of the tire completely. I will probably make one more ride on my Kenda 760 and the original Trail Wing front tire and then replace both of them. I think they have about a 1/4 to 3/8 inch of tread left on the center of the tire. ~1500 miles on the rear and ~5000 for the front.

Mine are officially worn out when I have money to pick up a new set. I get a lot of miles out of my tires.

Guest Hammerin Hammon

When they look like this I replace them.

post-465-1181393439_thumb.jpg

I may have to stop buying and just use you throw away tires!

Guest Hammerin Hammon

I may have to stop buying and just use you throw away tires!

I am looking for another set of rims. I think these will be good street tires now. I need an E Bay lesson from you Mike.

My tires are worn out usually when they get down to a measurement of 8 or 9 millimeters in height at the center knob, but that is for dirt riding mostly. The edges of the knobs are usually worn alot more blunt, low and often ripped and cracked. If I do alot of pavement, the edges tend to wear more square and sharp, so I still have some good biting edges on the knobs for traction in the dirt, so I can go a little shorter. Also D.O.T. tires are only about 13 millimeters tall at the center knob when they are new (the shorter height is part of what makes them D.O.T.)so they dont last me as long as dirt-only tires. I was running dirt knobbies on my 300, but switched to D.O.T. Bridgestone ED03/04s last time I needed tires. I don't care for them in the dirt, but they are nice and smooth on the pavement. I don't think they are going to last too long.

To me, it really depends on what the tire looks like before my next ride.

If I don't have a major trip or ride coming up, I'll wear the tires out and run the knobs really low.

If the tire won't make a long ride or I know I'll be riding some tough terrain, then I go ahead and change them.