Sign in to follow this  
ADV Bum

Thurs shakedown 2-23

No takers for a ride, so I did the Beach to Ramona exploration DS ride. It was nice to go on a ride from the house out to the destination and back.

On my way out through Del Dios, I see a helicopter flying over the lake and into some canyons. Stop on the side and watch. He was lowering a man down into the canyons. Probably searching for Marijuana plants.

Pictures stink. Waiting on the new camera.

thurs2-23004.jpg

thurs2-23002.jpg

Head out San Pasqual to Pamo rd. Right before the trail, this guy could not take it anymore and commits squirrelicide by running out in front of me.

thurs2-23009.jpg

I get him off the road and head to the trail.

Death by Dual-Sport...I hear the lonely lil squirrels are offing themselves this way these days...darn kids.

What time were you out there Mike? I did the same ride from Escondido to Pamo on my Virago around 2-4pm this afternoon. Waved at a few bikes on my way back. One of them might have been you. I noticed both gates were open in Pamo at Orozco and Santa Ysabel roads but didn't take them because I was on my road cruiser.

They've been cutting and pulling dead trees and brush out of the canyon along Del Dios for a while now. Don't know if that was what that was about, but looks like a copter I saw out there a couple times before.

Nice job on the squirrel (I grew up on groves; I hate squirrels!); glad he didn't take you out!

I get to the trail and gates are open.

thurs2-23010.jpg

This has always been one of my favorite trails. Lots of water bars/ jumps. The new gearing 14-46 was performing well. Seemed like the front tire was in the air for half the trail. Then I get really lucky. This gate is open.

thurs2-23018.jpg

I have never been able to go up that trail.

Some sexy photos taking a break and getting ready to head up the unkown.

thurs2-23011.jpg

thurs2-23012.jpg

What time were you out there Mike? I did the same ride from Escondido to Pamo on my Virago around 2-4pm this afternoon. Waved at a few bikes on my way back. One of them might have been you. I noticed both gates were open in Pamo at Orozco and Santa Ysabel roads but didn't take them because I was on my road cruiser.

I left the house around 10 and home around 2:30. There are definately more trails out there that I have never been on. I need to do more of these rides to figure them all out.

This area is in my neighborhood and I ride up there frequently. Wish I had chosen one of my Hondas and taken the road. Might have run into you up there. Next time you want to go let me know.

So that trail ends up only being about 3.5 miles long. It ends at two gates.

thurs2-23013.jpg

thurs2-23014.jpg

This trail was pretty ruff. Not hard, just not big bike friendly at speed.

Some glamour shots up at the top. Looking back at Ramona.

thurs2-23015.jpg

Off into the hills from a vantage I have not seen. Some of the hills there is nothing.

thurs2-23016.jpg

On this hill/ mountain there is nothing. Then I see one tiny little trail in the trees. A trail I will have to try and find.

So I head down and head up Black mountain TT. Cruising along having a great time, turn the corner and almost run into a Large Black Bull. He heads off the trail and I figure I have to get a pic. Go back to him as he heads into the woods. Getting the camera out (listening to music) and out of the corner of my eye I catch a glimpse of a large brown Bramha type bull comming out of the woods about 15ft from me. He is not happy. Throwing his head around stomping the ground. All I could think is "crap, I am going to end up like that squirrel!" As he moved into the woods I got the camera out. They moved surprisingly quick in the thick and hard to get a pic while on the bike.

thurs2-23019.jpg

Lots of cows today. When I got to Mesa TT there were cows everywhere. A mother was funny as she charged me to protect her calf. You have to give these animals some space.

I head back down Mesa TT to Black Canyon TT to Romana and home. I was having such a great day and feeling good. As I was heading down San Pasqual valley rd I am getting to the intersection of SPV rd and Old Pasual rd. You know the intersection.

thurs2-23020.jpg

I have taken this intersection at slower speeds with my truck and gotten pretty light in the seat. Thought to myself what a hoot on the bike. Dumb ass! Launched myself off the left portion of the road. To my horror I am in the air flying over the dirt hoping to land on the street. The whole time thinking Damn this is going to hurt. Thankfully cleared and pulled the landing. All the way home was an exhilarating "Im alive!"

Did 115 miles and did not hit the reserve.

Looks like so much fun. Glad you didn't take a digger flying over the intersection!

Thanks. Maps called it Old Pasqual rd, Mistress and Baldbeemer corrected me on the name. It is called Milky way or Old Milky way rd and 78.