Ok so Im getting pretty geeked up about riding the DD and hang out with all the great folks from SDAR. Had the bike all prepped at AAKTM, beside the primary nut issue its all good. My issue is,I needed to service my bike tire. I went the route as to use the tools a carry on the bike, now with the rear axle nut not over tight from the last time I had the wheel off I could not get the nut loose with my MP tire iron/wrench.

combo.gif

I had to resort to my large socket and ratchet. Now I feel I have worked on enough bikes to know Armstrong torque and dont think I over done it. What's your though about the MP tool?

Thanks Kelly

not sure I understand the question

My Motion Pro levers work good, but I have had to add leverage once or twice... I just take the second lever, and lengthen the overall lever

and they weigh next to nothing

Kelly

I have no problem with your tool but I have found that a 10" adjustable wrench with the handle ground to the shape of a tire spoon will be far more versatile. With the adjustable not only can you take off any axle nut but you can use it to fix flats, change tires, tighten many bolts and straighten bent shift levers etc.. Sorry I don't have a photo of it but it really is handy.

My Motion Pro levers work good, but I have had to add leverage once or twice... I just take the second lever, and lengthen the overall lever

Yea the question was I guess how much force I could use on it, I was worried about breaking it. I like the added leverage idea. Thanks

Kelly

I have no problem with your tool but I have found that a 10" adjustable wrench with the handle ground to the shape of a tire spoon will be far more versatile. With the adjustable not only can you take off any axle nut but you can use it to fix flats, change tires, tighten many bolts and straighten bent shift levers etc.. Sorry I don't have a photo of it but it really is handy.

I like this idea.

Guest Crusty

I use these, has front and rear+ spark plug. Made of steel.

msr_06_rid_wre.jpg

Yea the question was I guess how much force I could use on it, I was worried about breaking it. I like the added leverage idea. Thanks

I've always been concerned about that, or more specifically, not being able to get the nut off. Every tire change I've done I've always used the MP lever (to practice for a real repair in the middle of nowhere) and was pleasantly surprised to find I could get it off with at most using my foot to put some pressure on it. And, I've always used a torque wrench to put it back on, so I know I have sufficient torque on it. Now out in the field tube repairs I just put it on as tight as I can get it by hand and it has never let me down. When I get home, I torque it to spec.

I do as Jim said, the ol boot technique. I think I used some rocks to get my front nut off during my flat in DV. Suzuki uses a cotter pin on the rear axle so I feel fine manually tightening it.

I used that tool with cablejockey's MP irons with success. The irons had a much better lip than the junk ones I had.