Afry

Reno to Ramona last weekend

Bought a very nicely farkled klr from an inmate on ADVrider this weekend in Reno and rode home to San Diego area (Ramona). Saw the bike advertised here on Thursday and was riding it home on Saturday. Can't say enough good about Matt - he is selling a few other bikes and I would not hesitate to buy another from him - hope he unloads that nasty ole 950SE some day - actually it's mint.

I packed light and got some tools (less than 7" is the key) through TSA in my carry on. Matt met me at the airport and back to his house for a quick test ride and paperwork. Hit the road by 1:30. Plan was to hustle through the passes during daylight to avoid icy roads and make it to Bishop for the night.

After leaving the traffic of Carson City behind me I had the road to myself except for the occasional semi truck or truck/trailer full of snowmobiler's. Temps dropped as low as 36 and the one farkle I was missing was heated grips. I was able to run 70-75 but the hands were getting a little numb from the cold. At least the visibility was clear and I could see for miles and miles.

Just a few miles past the Mammoth exit the bike suddenly died. Great I'm thinking, I blew her up before I even got her home! Well having raced many two smokes in the past I instantly ...well instantly for a 52 year old I grabbed the clutch and pulled over. As I was still coasting I looked at the speedo and see I had only gone 176 miles - I can't be out of fuel can I? My 09 klr can go 220 -250 without needing fuel but this baby has a Staintune and KLX needle and who knows what else jetting. So I figured WTH and flipped over to reserve and BINGO! That was the good news, back to life - now the bad news - where the hell do I find gas out here? Dropped her down to 55 and cruised .....just in time to pass a CHP hiding in the median. Well Bishop is still 30 some miles away and I am nursing it. Luck would have it after 10 or so miles of remembering every gas station I had passed earlier I see a sign for Lake Crowley with a little gas pump on it - done deal! Got to Bishop round 6:30 and hit the Comfort Inn (recommended) and since I hadn't eaten since morning I went to Whiskey Creek for a nice NY steak dinner, couple Mammoth Pale Ales and a shot of Jäger to top it off. I found a local hooker and back to the room we went....just kidding...not sure what a hooker in Bishop would look like but I'm good not knowing - anyway I slept like a baby.

Got up early but it was 18 degrees outside so I gave the bike a look over, adjusted the chain and had a little free breakfast at the motel before hitting the road. 395 South to the 15. Stopped by the "Hat" (best pastrami!) in Rancho Cucamonga by the Bass Pro shops mega store for late lunch and was back in SD by 5. Good roads and no winds through the desert!

600+ miles the klr was a champ and never burned a drop of oil!!!!!! I credit the T-bob install at an early age

https://picasaweb.go...feat=directlink

https://picasaweb.go...feat=directlink

a>

What make and model bike did you buy, I`m confused. You say you bought a KLR,, do you mean a Kawasaki KLR 650? The bike in the pictures in your links is a BMW!

What make and model bike did you buy, I`m confused. You say you bought a KLR,, do you mean a Kawasaki KLR 650? The bike in the pictures in your links is a BMW!

It's true! :unsure:

Damn your right!....I got screwed ....I want my money back!

Is the link wrong or did you actually get a BMW for the price of a KLR? What a deal!

Damn your right!....I got screwed ....I want my money back!

Guys, look at the pics...

It is not hard to tell that the bike is a newer model KLR that has been re-badged.

Details guys

It is not hard to tell that the bike is a newer model KLR that has been re-badged.

Details guys

Winner winner chicken dinner!

If it was a BMTroubleU I wouldn't have bought it :lol:

I do like the sticker though....it says "KLR" above the insignia instead of BMW. Thats gonna chap some hides....

OK, I gotta ask, WHY would you re-badge?

Sounds like you should know.

Details guys

I suspect a sense of humor is involved.

I once has a Datsun B210 with a 320i badge. Didn't fool anyone, though.

Usually people de-badge. When you rebadge it is typically for humor. Especially since most KLR owners secretly wish they had a bike as reliable as the BMW...

I would find it humorous on a bike that is obviously not a BMW. As for something that resembles the original that closely, it`s just a lie.

Usually people de-badge. When you rebadge it is typically for humor. Especially since most KLR owners secretly wish they had a bike as reliable as the BMW...

I would find it humorous on a bike that is obviously not a BMW, ( Case in point, Fafename`s B 210 badged as a 320i). As for something that resembles the original that closely, it`s just a lie.

I once has a Datsun B210 with a 320i badge. Didn't fool anyone, though.

It takes a real man to admit he had a B210 :drinks:

Kris your missing the point the it's not really a re badge since the badge says KLR not BMW - it's a joke. I think a funny one at that - my experience is many BMW riders are bike snobs so for them to see a BMW looking emblem that says KLR on a KLR is funny ----. Hell if I had a BMW I would think it funny to put a KLR sticker on it. This bike came with em but their staying on it.

See here (not affiliated):

http://www.realtimeindustries.com/products.php?product=KLR-Roundel

BMW more reliable than a KLR? Beg to differ - maybe an airhead but not the new fancy ones. ---- you can just about buy a KLR for the price of a major service on a BMW. I have no interest in owning one so bike jealous of a BMW? No way, bike jealous of a KTM 950 SE - hell yes!

And since we are naming names....I once had a Pinto....wagon....and a Vega....wagon....horrors!

Can`t read read the badge in the picture, (even when zoomed in with editing software). I don`t think I am missing the point, I just don`t find it humorous.

Kris your missing the point the it's not really a re badge since the badge says KLR not BMW - it's a joke. I think a funny one at that - my experience is many BMW riders are bike snobs so for them to see a BMW looking emblem that says KLR on a KLR is funny ----. Hell if I had a BMW I would think it funny to put a KLR sticker on it. This bike came with em but their staying on it.

See here (not affiliated):

http://www.realtimei...uct=KLR-Roundel

BMW more reliable than a KLR? Beg to differ - maybe an airhead but not the new fancy ones. ---- you can just about buy a KLR for the price of a major service on a BMW. I have no interest in owning one so bike jealous of a BMW? No way, bike jealous of a KTM 950 SE - hell yes!

And since we are naming names....I once had a Pinto....wagon....and a Vega....wagon....horrors!

I don`t think I am missing the point, I just don`t find it humorous.

Do you own a BMW? :D

OK, I'll admit to owning a few VW Beetles then, both old and new styles :blush:

BTW, I'm in the "I think it is funny" camp......

You can see the bikes I`ve owned along with the two I own now in my signature. Never owned a BMW.

I don`t think I am missing the point, I just don`t find it humorous.

Do you own a BMW? :D