So I crashed my XR650L in Ocotillo a couple Saturdays back, and I am starting to heal well enough to start assessing the damage (to the bike!). As I sit on the bike and line up the front tire with the bars, I am obviously pointing to the right (looking down from sitting on the bike). While not ruling out bent bars, I am starting to think that I may have bent the left fork. How do I tell if that is the case? I've never bent a fork before (don't think I've ever crashed that hard before!) and I am not real sure how to check it.

I can post a pic if anyone thinks that will help. I'd like to get this fixed as soon as I can, but I really don't know where to start. Any input you guys can give me is appreciated.

You may have twisted in the triple clamp. You need to acsess if you bent the bars in relation to the triple. If the bars are not bent, loose the triple and see if you can straighten the front. A front fork brace is a good thing to get.

The forks could just be twisted in the stanchions. Loosen the lower tree bolts, put the front wheel against a wall on the side it seems twisted to, and tug on the bars in the same direction (towards the wall). If this doesn't help. see if the bars are out of alignment with the tops of the forks. If that doesn't help, then maybe a fork is bent.

Great stuff; thank you! I put a straight edge on the fork and it appears straight, so I was hoping that maybe it was just twisted, but I didn't really know if that was wishful thinking or not! I started to loosen things up but talked myself out of it since it just didn't seem logical. I'm so confused as to what is or isn't straight at this point that I'm not sure what to trust; bars, top clamp, fork, etc.

Mimi, do I need to loosen both sets of bolts? When I tied it back down on the truck to head back home I noticed that the left fork boot looked twisted under compression. That seemed really odd to me, but I didn't know stuff was tweaked up front when I saw that. I just kind of filed it away for later, since it didn't look right.

Thanks to you both for the suggestions! I'm gonna head out to the garage and see if I can learn anything yet tonight.

Mimi, do I need to loosen both sets of bolts? When I tied it back down on the truck to head back home I noticed that the left fork boot looked twisted under compression. That seemed really odd to me, but I didn't know stuff was tweaked up front when I saw that. I just kind of filed it away for later, since it didn't look right.

The bottom bolts are the most important. You can realign the fork boot too, after you are sure that the forks are straight. Just undo the top clamp on the fork boot and slide the top of the boot down, till it's compressed in a nice short stack with the seams all straight. Then carefully bring it back up straight and tighten the top clamp.

The bottom bolts are the most important. You can realign the fork boot too, after you are sure that the forks are straight. Just undo the top clamp on the fork boot and slide the top of the boot down, till it's compressed in a nice short stack with the seams all straight. Then carefully bring it back up straight and tighten the top clamp.

I already played with the boot a little bit (I slid it up to put the straight edge on the fork), so that don't look the same as it did (doesn't mean it is straight though either ). I'm really stoked that this may be the fix and I don't have to think about getting a new fork. That would make my day!

I freaked out the first time this happened. If the bars look straight, the wheel is probably askew. Just roll bike over to a brick wall or tree or something and give it a good ol whack. Hold onto the bars tight and the wheel should move back into alignment.

When bboyle9 knocked himself out, his front tire was pointing left quite a ways. We were on the trail so I ended up straight kicking it Bruce Lee style til we got it straight.

I freaked out the first time this happened.

That pretty much describes it :). I've crashed plenty before, but never saw anything like this, and it does look bad. You guys are making me feel much better!

Got sidetracked and never made it to the garage. Gonna try again tomorrow after work (should be an early day). Really appreciate all of the feedback.

Not that its worth much, but IMHO I imagine you'd have to really be hauling butt or have a vicious fall to bend a fork leg. I say its a dirtbike it should take the punishment. Literally slam the wheel against a wall or tree. The tire will hit the wall violently and hopefully realign the tire. Stare at your handlebar and upper triple clamp to see if the bars are tweaked. If they are the stock bars its a possibility. I like oversized fat bars 1 1/8" instead of stock 7/8". Other than that ride it like you stole it.

For some funny pictures of a bike I crashed look at this ride report. Bear in mind that I was borrowing my buddy's bike haha. The wheel was out of alignment (fixed by slamming it against a brick wall) and the bar clamps were bent among other things.

Just don't bend a wheel trying to straighten it out...

Like others: I doubt you actually bent a leg- loosen the bottom triple clamps bolts and straighten it out, then tighten down to spec

Suspenders edumecated me that if you overtighten the bottom bolts, you bind up the internals

Good luck- bring it to Sundays noob ride and I'll fix it

Or tell you "that sucker is jacked up"...either way: no charge

If you go through all that trouble, and your still not sure, Take the bike to Ocean Beach Motorcycles, have them look at it. Once they are done, there will be no question its screwed up.

could not help myself,, it was wide open/ sorry

Thanks again for all the input everyone. I really do appreciate it.

You beat that thing up pretty good, Goofy! That's the weird thing with me; I was going less than 30 mph; I was in the 3'-4' whoops and came off of one and slammed into the belly of another. I stuck the front wheel pretty good and just kinda auger-ed in on the left side. I scratched the left hand bark buster, but that was it (other than this alignment issue); not even a scratch on the tank or anything else. Broke the left rear turn signal (had just installed the LED Baja Design ones, cuz I didn't want to break the big stock signals).

Thanks for the offer BS. I wouldn't mind doing that (I've been doing this for 35 years-doesn't mean I'm any good at it!) and meeting some folks. The ribs are still pretty sore, so it might be a bit premature at this point. I do plan on taking the bike down to Suspenders soon and having him dial in the suspension for me. This is the first dual sport bike I've had, and trying to use it like my old desert bikes was probably not my smartest move. I am really looking forward to getting it set up better and being able to do some of the rides that I keep seeing you guys doing on here. If I make it to the Noob ride, and you tell me it is jacked up, I'll appreciate the honesty!

Too funny on the comment, bluefin! I've been to places that do that kind of "work", and I don't wanna go back! I've had some good conversations with Suspenders and I am really looking forward to meeting him and have this dialed in.

Gotta get to work. Hopefully a short day today and then back home to take a better look at this. Thanks again for all the help and advice!!!!!