Leoffensive

New guy in santee not yet a rider

hey guys. Name's Leo.

dont own a bike yet but ive wanted one for years and im in the market to get my first bike. i really like the DR 650. i had my eye on a nice used one for 2400 bucks with an extra set of wheels and upgrades. but it sold last week.

i have ridden dirt bikes a few times in the past so i have some experience with bikes but ill be getting my permit in feb and taking the CHP safety class.

now i got my eye on one up at ECC thats a 2006 with less than 3k miles. im trying to sell my buggy so i can jump start on some financing. i dont know if ill get approved for anything tho.

i was directed to this forum by a guy on DRriders that goes by the name of trophyhunter. he offered help with bike stuff. i am really exited to get on a bike.

anywho glad to be on the forum and i am excited for the future to join you guys on rides.

Welcome to the forum. You are in for some kind of fun when you get your new wheels! ;)

Yeah-trophy hunter is a bit of a DR650 apostle or something-he can ride that bike bike on some rough stuff...YOU may want to ease in a bit

Post up when you have a bike and we'll take you out on an easy ride; in the meantime read through the forums, learn and chat with the folks

Welcome Leo. Offer still stands to test out the DR before you make the jump. Figure out your mission for a bike and go from there. We can talk options any time.

This is a great group with a lot of experience so questions are welcome.

Welcome, when I first got back into 2 wheel riding I bought an XR600, good solid bike, heavy and bulletproof- just fine for a tall guy who thinks he's tougher than he really is, the problem was I did not listen to well placed comments from others about starting the darn thing- ( remember I'm young and tough ), after dumping it in Mexico and kicking and kicking and krying-not really, I bought a bike with e-start.

Long story short do your research, wear lot's of gear and ride with somebody like Bikeslut, he will watch you and take care of you and you will learn a lot faster than making the same mistake over and over while expecting different results.

Enjoy and welcome.

thanks for the welcome everyone.

@Dirtdame I can't wait

@Bikeslut yea I havent ridden a motorcycle in years. so ill definitely be easing into it. i know ill be doing a lot of riding in my spare time to get a good feel for the bike. I wouldnt mind if it became a daily rider. BTW i work in your area. im in the caltrans crew outta descanso.

@Trophyhunter Ill take you up on that, especially since i havent got my buggy to sell yet. From the research ive been doing i feel like the DR is the perfect bike for what i want. i like the honda XR650 as well but i havent had the chance to sit on yet but i hear they are a bit taller and im a shorter guy and ive sat on a new dr650 and a klr 650(about the same) and it felt like it was just right for me. the price is attractive and the bike seems like a really well rounded bike to start on to see what i drift to more as i get experienced in riding.

@Christi20 Thanks I look forward to riding with you and everyone else :)

@Uncle Champ yea I like the idea of a kick start but the E-start sounds so much nicer haha the new DRs have the E-start I havent looked into seeing if you can have both yet. +9999999999999 on the protective gear for sure. I work for caltrans and ive seen the bad stuff that happens to the human body even when you are in a car or truck. theres a guy who runs a company in the escondido area(Motoport i think) that has gotten some good praise from people in other forums because the guy stands by his product and apparently replaces/repairs them if you crash or find defects. im thinkin about going that route but it is a bit pricey but its my body so its probably best not to skimp. ill probably buy some affordable safety gear to suffice while im still in the learning stages while i save up for the motoport gear. as far as helmets go im looking at that arai xd-3 helmet. i have some oakley dirtbike goggles i use on my FF helmet when i mountain bike. so i can use those on the dual sport helmet when i do the dusty rides. but yea fo sho thanks for the welcome and advice man BTW you may have seen me around i work outta the yard in descanso.

There are ways of getting some practice in before you get your bike!

You could even try some freestyle.... ;)

Yeehaw.jpg

There are ways of getting some practice in before you get your bike!

You could even try some freestyle.... ;)

haha yea i do ride mountain bikes. almost similar to motorcycles i guess

heres some pics

Marthasgrove.jpg

sycamoreridge.jpg

mountain biking experience is a good thing... traction control and balance being two key factors in dirt biking

that first picture with the "spotter"... that is a great thing about dirtbikes. You won't even NOTICE rocks like that on a dirtbike... the momentum or a 300# bike and rotating mass of heavier wheels makes stuff like that disappear...the flip side is, most of us can't bunny hop on a DR650

go check out the Gnarly Trails section of ride reports, and you'll see some gnarly stuff that is Hike-a-bike for mountain bikers, but even talent challenged hacks like me ride. (that disclaimer does not apply to 650hcuker... that boy is certifiable)

might I (again) suggest that you start with a smaller, lighter bike... even if you buy a CRF230 or something (DR200, XT250 etc)

A DR650 in the right hands is a good dual sport tool, but in the hands of a tool, it is a dirt nap waiting to happen. It is fairly short, so that is good, but it has a big heavy engine and you can't flick it around... the same mass that helps you tackle obstacles makes it hard to change direction

Welcome to the group. Bikeslut has some pretty good advice, for a beginner in the off-road world the DR650 can be a real handful. My suggestion to you is to find a DR350SE, 1994 or newer ones are electric start. They are quite a bit easier to play with off-road and are still good on the highway. Whatever you get, start out slow and ride with a group if you can.

See ya on the trail.

LOL thanks a lot i started out really liking the KLX650(kawasaki green is my favorite color) and was talked up to a bigger motor on 2 other forums(kawasaki's next choice is the klr 650 which is too big for my current taste since im not looking for a bike with the big fairing or w/e its called). I did mention the fact i may turn it into a daily rider but im kinda thinking against that after driving through 24 degree weather to descanso this morning and after repairing a good section of guardrail on I-8 by dunbar after a lady lost control of her car and smashed it something fierce. ive seen it before and im kinda deciding to stick to a truck for commuting to work. I currently weigh about 220LBs so im iffy about a 250 but if i use it for leisurely rides on 2 lane highways and screwing around offroad ill probably be fine. i do really like the drz400s that blue one on that craigslist add is pretty nice.

i dunno i feel like you guys just set me back at square one. haha

For dirt, the DRZ is better than the DR650! But far from perfect

For touring and freeway commuting, the DR650 is better...I think you mean the KLX250, and it is a bit underpowered for most freeway use

Really- buy a cheap dual sport and figure out what you want to do through experience, not what some jerks on the internet tell you....by that, I mean other jerks; listen to me!

For dirt, the DRZ is better than the DR650! But far from perfect

For touring and freeway commuting, the DR650 is better...I think you mean the KLX250, and it is a bit underpowered for most freeway use

Really- buy a cheap dual sport and figure out what you want to do through experience, not what some jerks on the internet tell you....by that, I mean other jerks; listen to me!

yes lol thanks for correcting me. i think i need to meet up with you. however i can only drive to during and from work with my current drivers licsense til feb. 4th. perhaps i can get my lovely lady friend to cart me around some more hahaha