Andrewdavis34

Ride Suggestions for Larger Bikes at McCain Valley/Lark

Hi all,

I am considering heading out to McCain Valley/Lark Canyon this weekend on Saturday as plan B if the ride I am planning in the Lagunas doesn't work out. I have never been out to McCain Valley/Lark canyon and was wondering if there is any riding out there suitable for larger DS bikes? All the ride reports that I have seen have been done on smaller bikes.

Thanks,

Andrew

Depends on how "large" large actually is. People ride out there on 650s, but I haven't seen any adventure sized bikes out there. I suppose they have....I just haven't seen it. I have seen people ride adventure sized bikes down Kernan trail though. If you can do that, you can ride the main trails at McCain.

I think the large DS bikes can go anywhere 90% of the time some 95% of the time that a small bike can go what's diferrent is the speed you ride at, the smaller bike are more nimble and can travel faster and cover more terrain than a large DS bike and that is a fact of life.Now let me give you the details I believe a BMW R1200GS or GSA can go where 90% of the other smaller bikes can go, on the other hand the new Yamaha 1200 Tenere or the KTM 990 adventure can go 95% where the smaller bikes can go, why because the later are lighter and have a front suspension that is more geared for offroad than onroad. Anything in the 600 to 650 range can go anywhere a smaller bike can go, at same speed no!!!! Off course not but much faster than the other bigger size bikes and closer to smaller bike speed. the rider experience and know how plays a major role where anyone can go and what speed also. There are a lot of people that have riden there big bikes in places that are really hard for even the smaller bikes, was it fun of course not, did they enjoy it off course not, would they do it again off course not but it was done.

Their are miles of street legal roads in and near McCain valley and surrounding area. I think you will be kept busy. Just the ride out to that area is one of my favorites.

Pretty much all of the main trails are suitable for quads so should be no problem on a big adventure bike although some are quite whoopy so care needed with more road based suspension. Some of the good single track trails are rather tight and rocky and I wouldn't want to attempt on a big bike.

Im with Dai on this one. That 90% of trails number is very enthusiastic, in our case 90% of the trails we ride would be a real event to ride a big adv bike on..

But for sure at McCain the main loop trails are doable on big adv bikes and the option of riding down the dirt road and exploring is always there as well.

I answered this question a couple of weeks ago like this:

If you want to ride the main trails, McCain Valley Road (including the two desert overlooks), and want to enjoy the ride out Olde 80, a big bike is fine... do NOT take it on the singletrack... it just WILL not have the clearance and thin-ness to navigate some of those trails, and in many cases, you don't know which trails those are until it's too late (right Diva?)

but I wouldn't make the trip out there myself, unless it was an "off-shoot" ride... i.e. on the way to the desert along I-8, etc.

Same for Corral; the perimeter road would be fun, but most of the trails, not so much

Thanks to everyone that has replied to my inquiry. I really appreciate the advise. I will be riding out to McCain valley via Hwy 94. Plan is to meet at the Junction of Hwy94/Otay Lakes Road at 0945 +/- 10 minutes. I will be riding a somewhat dirt oriented 2009 Red KLR650. Will be riding with several others riding KLR's.

Andrew

I've ridden my 650 on most trails there, but like slut said, the difficulty level creeps up on you outta no where. Still super fun though, just be prepared to get stuck for a while trying to turn the bike around when it gets too tough.

meet at the Junction of Hwy94/Otay Lakes Road at 0945 +/- 10 minutes

Andrew

Rightiousness. See ya'll there! :cool04: