Sign in to follow this  
Trashman

oil brand

I have a hard time finding syntetic oil in 15-50 or 20-50 to use on my ktm locally. The only one i found so far and been using is Spectro. Just curious on what other are using and what they think of it. Please be syntetic specific.

Thanks ahead of time for the advice!

Sonny

In my Suzuki I use Shell Rotella-T 5W-40. It is available at Wal-Mart. I may switch to Amsoil motorcycle specific oil in the future. There are probably dozens of articles on it at Thumpertalk.com.

I feel this article is a must read for all gearheads. http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Oils1.html

Although unless you have some coffee handy I would scroll down to the motorcycle sections. :D Ken

Just like brands of bike you will get as many results.

Since Royal Purple is used in Drag Racing alot. I have been giving it a try in some of my toys, including the XR650L. So far it has been great.

Royal Purple Max Cycle

:D:P:D:D

Sorry i was very vague with my post. Here is the problem i am having. KTM recommends syn oil and for our temperature they recommend 20-50. So i found this golden spectro oil. i have had my bike only for about 3 months and have changed the oil 3 times @ 500 mile intervals. Here is the problem.. after the oil change my bike clutch works perfect, at about 200 miles after the change, it starts to have a wierd feeling grab ( sorry cant describe it) just know that it feels different. So i what i am trying to find out is, if there are better oil out there my ktm clutch or should i just change my oil every 200 miles..this could get expensive. funny thing is this only happens on my ktm not my xr650r. my xr is on simi syntetic. now that i have a chance to think about this, maybe its the ktm and i should be posting this on ktm talk )

Thanks,

sonny

my crf 450R uses golden spectro, great stuff

Your ktm shares the oil as one unit thru out the whole bike, you should use moterex

your xr 650 has a seperate oiler tranny and engine

your ktm has a hydraualic clutch.

I hope this helps,

Lots of people swear by mobil 1. I noticed that Costco is selling the mobil 1 15-50 synthetic.

One other thing! I have been trying out different oils and always looking for best price. Lately I have found that Pep boys has a wide selection, and if you go to there website you can download a coupon for 5 bucks. It has to be on 30 or over, but case of synthetic oil usually is at $30.0.

Guest Hammerin Hammon

I would never put a synthetic oil in my motor, unless the clutch uses a separate oil. I hate a slipping clutch. :)

I would never put a synthetic oil in my motor, unless the clutch uses a separate oil. I hate a slipping clutch. :)

Whenever you bring up oil, this debate rages on and on. They say the clutch will slip if you use oil that has some type of Moly(additive) in it. They say do not use the Enviro friendly oils, these are problematic. I have been using castrol 15-40 synthetic, and no slip what so ever!

Thanks for the info guys. $5 off sounds good to me. i will try it, the spectro is quite expensive @ 10.99, i guess i will start experimenting with different brand and see if i get different result! And i agree with XR650lbum, there is always a debate on syn vs non syn. my opion is simple..use whatever the manufacture spec, after all they made the bike. For my KTM they specifically ask for syntetic to be use.

XR650lbum..on the side note..the mobil 1 is a motorcycle oil? i would like to stick with motorcycle oil as to avoid all the addetives you mentioned that can slip the clutch.

thanks

sonny

The mobil 1 they are referring to is just the automotive synthetic. It will be hard to find Motorcycle synthetic cheap. The cheapest I have found that is at Walmart.

Thanks for the info guys. $5 off sounds good to me. i will try it, the spectro is quite expensive @ 10.99, i guess i will start experimenting with different brand and see if i get different result!

I tried Mobil 1 in my 525SX when I first got it and it WHINED like you've never heard before ;) I had a very reputable guy on KTMtalk (Travis D37) put in the 5th and 6th gears (as well as the magic button), and he recommended Maxima 20-50 Maxum4 Blend (50% Synthetic in the Gold label). It costs about $30 a gallon and it's what I use in all the KTM now. I've never had a slipping, whining, or break-down problem since. Here's a LINK

Good luck!

I would never put a synthetic oil in my motor, unless the clutch uses a separate oil. I hate a slipping clutch. ;)

My clutch don't slip, I like my synthetic oil. Give a little free play in the cable. ;)

I tried Mobil 1 in my 525SX when I first got it and it WHINED like you've never heard before B) I had a very reputable guy on KTMtalk (Travis D37) put in the 5th and 6th gears (as well as the magic button), and he recommended Maxima 20-50 Maxum4 Blend (50% Synthetic in the Gold label). It costs about $30 a gallon and it's what I use in all the KTM now. I've never had a slipping, whining, or break-down problem since. Here's a LINK

Good luck!

Hmm its a syn blend but i will try this, because the WHINED you are describing is exactly the problem i have. thanks --sonny

I like either Autozone or Walmart store brand. I go with non synthetic and try to find motorcycle oil, but it hasn't worried me. I've found cost to be a determining factor I seem to have a bigger smile on my face when I have money left over for a double double and a shake after I bought my oil and filter. Everything I've tried runs the same in temps, shifting, clutch feel and after 1500 or so miles looks the same as it drains from my crankcase.

I've tried $10 Honda oil down to $1.59 Autozone

I would never put a synthetic oil in my motor, unless the clutch uses a separate oil. I hate a slipping clutch. :boredom:

My clutch don't slip, I like my synthetic oil. Give a little free play in the cable. :pioneer_smoke:

No Cable here KTMs have hydraulic clutches, remember when I had to change my line in your driveway. :unsure:

Mine used to whine with the stock clutch and Golden spectro (which the dealer recomended) but that may be from glazing of the clutch discs. If I remember right I switched to the motorex synthetic and it seamed to squeel less. But after I changed the clutch out to DP plates I went back to the golden spectro and haven't had any problems. If you change oil and it still screeches you may want to pull the clutch plates and de-glaze them.